Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
No idea

Since all I researched was how to build my layout and not modeling anything specific like road or time period, I just chose diesel. I remember they were more forgiving on less than excellent track work. Nothing fancy going on here like you guys have, just a little 4 x 8 for my son and I to play with.

I'm sure I must have gathered a complete mix of old and new locos and rolling stock, and am on the verge of causing a temporal paradox that will end up destroying time and space as we know it. :eek:

On the other hand, you've got to start out somewhere, right? ;)

Voice

Mar 2, 2001
central Iowa
Visit site
Actually, a little bit of both. My layout is going to wind up in the transition era, so that fits. However, when I was growing up, the M&StL didn't have steam running, so I'm kind of going to go with a type of "what-if"....What if the M&St L HAD made it all the way to St Louis, and used some BIG steam?? And, what if Santa Fe had trackage rights?? Well, we shall soon find out!!!

Dick

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I voted for steam; I don't believe that I have to repeat the misteaks of the prototype on my model.

I probably would have voted for electric if that had been offered.

(I admit that I use my Atlas RS something when I need to check why something isn't running.)

I love to see all the valve gear flapping around.

Partsman

Dec 18, 2000
Canada
Visit site
I will be modelling in the early twentieth century time frame. Perhaps 1900 - 1930. My layout will be very small with tight curves, so I guess that will be short radius steam units such as 0-4-0T or 0-6-0T and perhaps an electric kit-bashed, low-profile mine unit or two.

Wabash Banks

Mar 11, 2005
Indiana
Steam. Although, I will be running both on my layout.... The setting is the late 40's. I am modeling a poor shortline with a good supply of coal available and not much money. They can't afford a new diesel. They are making due with a very old Pacific they got second hand. They had a Porter 0-6-0 they were using for a branch line but it just got too expensive to keep up. They found a cheap Plymouth 3 axle switcher and put the porter to pasture. A tank engine is the only steam option in the tiny switching space. Steam is the rule on the layout, but the diesel was a good price and fit the size requirement.
In reality, the layout will be done before I can build the pacific, so diesel will be working it all for a while. I just bought a minitrix 4-6-2 chasis with everythign except a motor. Everything up from the wheels has to be built.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
I love steam, but I had to betray the steam vote only becuase my steam-to-diesel ratio has got to be more then 4:1. :( If only because good running steam is more expensive than good running diesel (in Ho scale that is ;) ) In 1958, steam was fading, excepton: my shortline, where former SP steam still plies the rails! (yay steam!! :D )

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
I voted for deisel to, but think, as do some others, that a both choice should be included in the poll, the Feather River time is 1948=======1962. and although I have 35 deisel`s I do have 2-3 steam lokies and am in the throws of negotiating to buy 2 more... a great poll.have a good one ..steve

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Dave Flinn said:
I think it's some newfangled thing some German guy will think up in a few years!

It is related to that whatchamacalit I found in the old abandoned mine near Boot Hill, I think it was Delorean or somethin like that? Some young whipper-snapper, said his name was Clint, was runnin' around all excited, babblin' about needin' to find Doc Brown. :D

Doc

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
I vote for diesel, mid 60s to EOF (end of flag) here.

I'm running GP-7s, GP 38 Earlies, and have a couple of F3's and RS-11s on order. One of the lines was still running F3s until it went EOF. The other has a surviving RS-11 that still runs along the same tracks for a "new "excursion line.

I will be adding two more roads to the power roster, CN and CP. I've started collecting CN rolling stock.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
This is definitly a DO OVER dont you all agree???:D

Std Gauge Steam, diesel, Both,
trolley 3 rail steam, 3 rail diesel
narrow gauge steam, narrow gauge diesel, narrow gauge both
Monorail,commuter,Amtrak
Indoors, outdoors, both, combined

Did I miss anything??

While we are at it how about a poll on dbl hobbies
Who is a Model RR and includes within his layout or layout plans
Slot cars
Car collecting
Military modeling
Circus
Ship modeling
Fantasy figure modeling
Sports type modeling
Aircraft modeling

That should keep the pollsters busy for a week or so :)

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Diesel for me.Mostly second generation and modern. But I do have a tour train, headed by an 80tn three truck Shay, a dinner train powered by a Consolodation, and the "Only Operable Big Boy in the Northeast".....At least in my world.