• over 40 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Since real logging began

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
C

Catt

I run diesel because the Grande Valley is a modern day (2002) freight hauler.BUT! The Grande Valley also has a Tourist Rail division that not only runs steam but narrow gauge steam at that.:D

IMRL393

My Rock Island regional Line of 1996 (!) uses mostly 80s era diesels. One of my towns, however, has a RI "Mike" in a RR park - it runs on special occasions! :cool:

rockislandmike

Hey George, I had no idea you were modeling so modern an era with the Rock. Kewl.

Scoob, I'm modeling 1980 so same story, diesels all the way. However, you gotta love the steam engines, so I do have a steam locomotive passenger excursion. Currently lead by a Mehano 4-4-0 American (UP), but I've wishlisted a Rivarossi 4-6-2 Heavy Pacific (ATSF) at Walthers. Only $130US - mom, dad, Heather - you guys listening ???? :D

I love seeing people who model the transition era, too, that includes both in almost equal numbers. One freight train might be lead by a steam, another by a first gen diesel. If I wasn't modeling 1980, that would be my second choice era.

Course, steam locos usually cost more than diesels too. Well, I'm babbling, time to go.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
While my locomotive inventory is more steam than diesel, I run steam more often. I have a C&NW SD60,SD50,SD40-2 combo, and a ton of modern freight that I haven't run in about five years.
Pete

on my new layout it would be all diesel but i have two 2-6-2- and a 0-6-0 tank that my son got for me for x mas that would have a home on it for him that means that i can get out those cattle cars i have put up and the turn table my dad gave my that i kit bashed and made bigger

My locomotive inventory is quite small, but since I model 1944 it is mostly steam; a Hudson, Prairie, and will be adding another Hudson and a Niagara someday.... An SW1 handles most of the switching .

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

K.V.Div

I voted diesel because the majority of my roster is diesel, however, as my modeling era is 1950-1970 inclusive, I do run some steam as well:) :D :cool:
If more good running N Scale steam was available, I would add more to my roster.

Terry

marty w.

I model the Eire Lackawanna , so I have all diesel's.
However, I just purchased a Erie 2-8-4 and thinking about back dating to the Erie.
Marty

Woodie

Deisel

I have 8 deisels, 2 steam, and 2 suburban "electrics" (pantograph). So I suppose I run deisel.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
I answered steam only because if I had to choose, I would run steam. They are just more pleasing to watch.

I have the Climax Steam Loco, A Deisel switcher I kitbashed and a U25-B so my steam is outnumbered 2 - 1. :) :)

You might try putting a "Both" option into the poll, or reword the question forcing a choice - "If you had to choose, which would you run???"

It's a great poll - look at all the answers your getting!! :) :D :)
~~ Mikey

I didn't answer the poll, because I agree that it needs a "both" option. I will be modeling the transition era of the New Haven, so I have both steam and diesel. I grew up around all diesel (and electric, though I'm not into modeling that -- yet), and I never saw a steamer on the NH. They were still there in the early part of my era, however, and I like steam. I DID "experience" some on the nearby NYC.

CSX6638

I didn't answer the poll because I model both, the time of the late 1940's to the early 1950's, the transition period. I have about 20 steam locos and about 25 diesels and I switch them around every few days ( N scale ).
CSX6638

roryglasgow

I say "steam," but reality dictates differently. For one, I model in N-scale, so steam is pretty expensive (at least compared to what you can get sometimes in HO). But on the whole I prefer steam and would prefer to model steam era (or transition). After all, steam locomotives are REAL locomotives! Not like the namby pamby diesel things with all of their fancy computers and GPS and dynamic brakes and such. It's gettin' ta where ya don't even need no engineer to run dem diesel loc-ees. Why, back in MY day we didn't have no diesel loc-ees. In fact, we didn't even have steam 'cause it hadn't been invented yet. All of our trains were run on DIRT and WE LIKED IT! Then some fancy city folks came and did some of that PROGRESS and LOOK WHAT IT DID FER us: a lot of smoke and noise. Dad burn city slickers and their fancy ways...

Uh...sorry... I like steam locomotives, though. And if I had the money and if I could buy models that ran well in N-scale, then I'd go all steam. Perhaps one day I may make the switch to HO...

Oh, Bill... A "diesel" is the opposed of a "thatsel."

"And there they go!"

"Rounding the first turn is Diesel followed closely by Steam, now their in the back straight, Steam is catching up and their neck and neck through the second turn and on the home stretch. It's going to be a photo finish ladies and gentlemen!"

LOL!

That's just about right in this poll!