Have you scratchbuilt anything?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
N

nachoman

After visiting the LHS today and observing what people were buying and asking for, and later reading on another forum about how there are few "builders" left out there...

How many of ou have scratchbuilt anything for model railroading? The item could be as simple as a lampost or as complex as a locomotive.

kevin

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Cannonball said:
Does repainting old boxcars count?

Not quite. SCRATCHBUILDING IS BUILDING FROM SCRATCH.

A simple equation for scratchbuilding would be:

Time+Raw material (wood/metal/cardboard/sheet plastic)+ expertise (or lack thereof :D ) = Scratchbuilt Item. Usually Scratchbuilt Items are from plans found anywhere, or measured and drawn by yourself, and the purest scratchbuilt Models have a very short list of "commercial" parts, if any at all. :eek: I've heard of some people casting their own brass detail parts, winding their own motor armatures, OF THEIR OWN DESIGN, and building a wooden cab with hand made minirature nails. :eek:

If there's a more than 50% commercial part count in your creation, and is based mainly upon an existing model(s) (Or parts there of) you have lying around, This is called KITBASHING. Once they're comfortable with KITBASHINGThis is where most people think they're ready to try SCRATCHBUILDING, and they're usually right.

There is, however a gray area.

Scratchbuilt structures are ones based off the types of plans mentioned earlier, and may include commercial doors, windows, vents, ect. BUT they still are of a unique (non-mass produced) quality. Laser woodkits, and craftsman style kits are about as close to scratchbuilding as one can get while still following instructions.

An example of excellence in scratchbuilding would be Robin M.'s much beloved buildings constructed out of old Cereal Boxes, and the new term "Cereal Board" comes from. these can be found in the GEMS section of the forum. :thumb:

N

nachoman

i think the line between kitbashing and scratchbuilding is that scratchbuilding you buy only raw materials, and kitbashing you start with something else and modify it to what you want.

kevin

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I scratchbuilt the house that my layout is in, although I did use commercially available doors and windows, and an awful lot of stripwood. No scribed siding, though. ;)

Wayne

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
Due to near terminal poverty ,all the buildings on my empire are scratch built using whatever I can scrounge. Matboard, sombody gave me a batch that used to be photo backing, popsicle sticks for lumber and ties,soaking plywood till the layers come apart.
Ground foam used to be the back seat of my Olds 88 and all the trees came from the garden. I used to feel bad about not buying fancy kits but now,looking at the 1/4 of the empire that is sorta finished I'm pretty proud of it.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Relic said:
Due to near terminal poverty ,all the buildings on my empire are scratch built using whatever I can scrounge. Matboard, sombody gave me a batch that used to be photo backing, popsicle sticks for lumber and ties,soaking plywood till the layers come apart.
Ground foam used to be the back seat of my Olds 88 and all the trees came from the garden. I used to feel bad about not buying fancy kits but now,looking at the 1/4 of the empire that is sorta finished I'm pretty proud of it.

Now there is a TRUE scratchbuilder :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
some scratches

These photos were taken a while ago ,now about 1/4 of the empire is "landscaped".Even though I have to" make do" it don't look too bad ,wha'?

Attachments

• garage.JPG
    garage.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 121
  • houses5.JPG
    houses5.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 143

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Not at all man, that looks like some GREAT work, wish I could scratchbuild and make it look that good :thumb: :thumb: That gas station goods SWEET and doesn't even look scratchbuilt:thumb: :thumb:

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
I've built a few structures, and a couple of narrow-gauge freight cars.

TruckLover... it's tough to get great results the first time. The key is practice! Build more, and you'll get better! :)

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I voted No but then suddenly realized that I did make some station platforms out of strips of wood and cork. I painted them and hope they will pass for platforms. Does this count? Otherwise, I haven't scratch-built anything but wold like to someday. Rob

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Just finished this logging caboose this past week. It's built from cardboard and stripwood, with a sandpaper roof and a nail for a smokejack. Bits of hand formed wire make the railings and step brackets. The only commercial parts are the truck (an MDC/ Roundhouse castoff), windows, door and brake wheel from my junk box.

paper1.jpg

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
MilesWestern said:
Not quite. SCRATCHBUILDING IS BUILDING FROM SCRATCH. (duh. :rolleyes: )

A simple equation for scratchbuilding would be:

Time+Raw material (wood/metal/cardboard/sheet plastic)+ expertise (or lack thereof :D ) = Scratchbuilt Item. Usually Scratchbuilt Items are from plans found anywhere, or measured and drawn by yourself, and the purest scratchbuilt Models have a very short list of "commercial" parts, if any at all. :eek: I've heard of some people casting their own brass detail parts, winding their own motor armatures, OF THEIR OWN DESIGN, and building a wooden cab with hand made minirature nails. :eek:

If there's a more than 50% commercial part count in your creation, and is based mainly upon an existing model(s) (Or parts there of) you have lying around, This is called KITBASHING. Once they're comfortable with KITBASHINGThis is where most people think they're ready to try SCRATCHBUILDING, and they're usually right.

There is, however a gray area.

Scratchbuilt structures are ones based off the types of plans mentioned earlier, and may include commercial doors, windows, vents, ect. BUT they still are of a unique (non-mass produced) quality. Laser woodkits, and craftsman style kits are about as close to scratchbuilding as one can get while still following instructions.

An example of excellence in scratchbuilding would be Robin M.'s much beloved buildings constructed out of old Cereal Boxes, and the new term "Cereal Board" comes from. these can be found in the GEMS section of the forum. :thumb:
A simple "no" would have sufficed.
And the "duh" was really unnecessary. :rolleyes:
I don't know about the rest of your post. I quit reading at that point.

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
While I enjoy building kits, I particularly like to kit-bash, and especially like scratch-building in N scale. My present life-style of full-time RV-ing around the country has slowed my building down quite a bit, but up to the recent past it seemed I always had something in the works, whether it was a freight car or building I had seen. I like working with card stock and wood but, have developed a strong liking for styrene. Here are a few of my projects:

http://www.railimages.com/albums/dickgorman/aac.jpg
http://www.railimages.com/albums/dickgorman/aad.jpg
http://www.railimages.com/albums/dickgorman/acq.jpg
http://www.railimages.com/albums/dickgorman/afj.jpg

Dick

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Yes, even My dad and I have scratchbuilt something

100_0609.jpg

100_0610.jpg

The stick and the sign are the scratchbuilt items:D The sign is a replica of one of my favorite place's signs. Sadly, it's been bought out because the owners were bad, and my dad handpainted (yes HAND PAINTED) the replica sign, painting the blue part where red should have gone!sign1