Politically Correct Statements- Here???

Politically Correct......mmmm.....those words alone are adjusted to reflect its own time......perhaps it used to be called......Social Standards......Prevailing Customs of the Time.........Socially Acceptable Morality........(for a given culture and time)........Politically Correct......mmmmm......maybe a tolerance of others difference and consideration of words that my offend someone you did not intend to offend or not intend to offend anything at all......Miss Manners would surly recommend a formal appology for such occasions..........Politically Correct only for woosies?.....I wonder if Trent Lott has an opinion on that one.......mmmm....Politically Correct......money making....power-wielding monopoly.....air poluting......landscape changing.......environtimentally challeging coorporations......those whos physical assets I happen to like to model.......Railroads........Politically Correct........Sometimes it better to decide to stick to the weather and one's health......................cold here in New Orleans, but I feel wonderful this Christmas day.

Nick
Bywarter Railroad

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Re: Thanks to all.

Originally posted by MCL_RDG
I I guess I came across what they call in statistics- an outlier. Something so far out of the norm that it really shouldn't be considered for whatever reason- making a decision, forming an opinion, etc.

Hmmmmmm!........somewhat strange.....that definition is not in the unabridged dictionary...guess Webster's is "far out of the norm..." also:D :D :D :D :D

Main Entry: out·li·er
Pronunciation: -"lI(-&)r
Function: noun
Date: 1676
1 : a person whose residence and place of business are at a distance
2 : something (as a geological feature) that is situated away from or classed differently from a main or related body

``The greatest humbug of all is the man who believes - or pretends to believe - that everything and everybody are humbugs.... Poor fellow! he has exposed his own nakedness. Instead of showing that others are rotten inside, he has proved that he is.''
- P.T. Barnum, in The Humbugs of the World
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey man...you don't like the thread...start a new one! (oh...I guess that's what you did!:rolleyes: :D :p )

Anyway welcome to The Gauge!

Merry Christmas to everyone! :)

I love you too, Jon! :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :D

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
The very fact that everyone can discuss this topic in a civilized manner shows to what lengths people here go to "protect" this forum. If anyone had started throwing insults, Dave would'a quashed 'em like a bug, and been hailed a hero!...:D On most other forums I know of, you would have been belittled, insulted and possibly even threatened in the fist few responses. Instead, here you got thoughtful responses detailing fellow member's opinions. That is what makes this such a wonderful forum. It is safe, not by a strict and oppressive code of conduct forced on the members by the admins, but by an "unwritten" and constantly evolving code developed by the civil interactions of all its members. What a great bunch of people one finds here...;) :D

Tom F

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
Definiton of "Politiclly correct"

The term Politics can be broken down into it's two most basic terms:

-Poli: Latin for Small (and I suspect "Insignficant").

Tics: Blood Sucking Insect.

I really don't think that these two terms used together are correct for most lifestyles, so, on that note, maybe we should bury "Politiclly Correct" and just continue having fun on this most fun of forums where all the best (and most fun!) railroad types hang out:cool::cool::cool:
Keep the subjects comming, Enjoy what is left of the Christmas Season and Happy modeling.
Cheers!

Terry

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
It's gotten to page three, and I just got here.

"The hardest part of being a free citizen, in a free society, is NOT defending my rights. It IS, defending my neighbor's rights".

Jon, you hit it square, when you wrote the horrible "R" word!
All rights, have their attendant "responsibilities". Free speach is a wonderful thing, as long as the free speaker exercises the responsibility to express "opinion", and not "hate".

Freedom also provides choice. If something sounds offensive, everyone can chose to stop listening.

Pete

LarryGarrett

Dec 10, 2002
Kansas City, Missouri
Visit site
Smoking

MCL, I see your point. Afterall, this is a model RailRoading forum, so whatever the topic, there should be at least some reference to the hobby....However, don't let the smoking or anyother general topic bother you. Besides, it's literally impossible to get something that is on the internet that everyone will agree with all the time. I suspect you've learned to do what all of us do: if we are not interested in the topic, we don't go there......Anyway, I hope you stay in this forum. It's a great place and I've gotten countless ideas from experienced model railroaders (smokers and non-smokers...lol) that are guiding me as I build my layout and plan. BTW, are you totally new to the hobby, a returnee, an old timer?....I'm a "returnee," myself, and I've found tons of info here that would have cost me lots of money and time to find in the magazines..........And now, allow me to be very, very, politically incorrect: GOD BLESS EVERYONE IN THIS FORUM!

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hi MCL and all
Haven't been here in a good long while. .. long story...anyway...just where is this thread re: smoking?...I'd like to see what the question is all about...and without reading the context, I really can't add much to the dialogue... it's kinda like a "bookless" CD rom game(Riven)I've been playing..you wander around werid landscapes, paths, tunnells etc, looking for clues to figure out wht the heck the game is all about!!...I know, "nothing to do with model railroading", but still fun LOL!! Please, save me and a few others a lot of time reading through all the threads... forum, author, date?
Thanks
Virginian

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
No reply- a great Beatles song.

Hey Virginian- and all~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I certainly didn't expect this much response. I figured I'd pretty much get flamed/blamed/shamed.

I am not going to point out the post Virginian.

I was merely prompted by my nature to ask a question. I take no offense that someone would include a personal opinion here- PC or otherwise. It's your right to express your opinion. My question still is-

Is it "neccesary" to express political/moral/legal/ad infinitum opinions that have nothing to do with the forum/topic/question at hand?

Apparently some think so. Does it answer the question at hand? Probably not but, another social ill might be solved because it's promoted (the PC statement)?

I guess I'm thinking- I didn't come here to solve the world's social problems or my own. Like I said before, I could make a list of the social ills that offend me- but I wouldn't make mention of them here- kinda thing (well, unless I was asked- much like I did here but that's me). I came here to have some fun and share ideas and thoughts about railroading. Not my personal opinion about anything else. I could- but "I" wouldn't.

Okay- someone stick a sock in me- puhlease!!!!:D

Mark: Gee I like to hear myself type?!
The PC Police: Look you, you have typed too much already! Look what you've done. A whole thread. 3 pages worth. Who knows how long this could go on? Why you little...
Mark: I didn't mean it boss really, really, I...

Roses
$5.00/dozen

BTW- I just wanted you to know- I crack me uP!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I just got back from a holiday vacation and found a slew of new posts! This one is interesting because it returns us again to the question of what the forum should be like and how we should post. Sure, sometimes folks make remarks that reflect personal preferences or beliefs that have little to do with trains but I feel that as long as we remain civil to each other things will go well. I don't often participate in the occasional spirited debates over no-train issues but I don't feel the need to limit the opportunity for those members who do. There is ALWAYS something interesting to read on The Gauge so I just move on until I find a thread that clicks for me. Like others have noted above, its the commaraderie of this site that makes it especially appealing!
By the way, Jon, I like your new P-K logo. Chris, you picture is just disturbing! :)
Ralph

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
When the U.S. Congress started, they had to decide what was appropriate for members to talk about. The decision was that anything a member wanted to say was in order. (Which led to the occasional phone book being read late into night.)

Ravensfan

Oct 16, 2002
planet earth
Visit site
Since this is a public place, albeit a public place to discuss model railroading, there is always the chance that you might encounter a discussion not directly concerning the subject of the bbs. You can do two things: ignore it and move on; or, engage in the discussion.

Originally posted by MCL_RDG

I described what I read- should I now assume it's okay to express my opinions about topics that have no bearing on my railroad experience and exclude people that have habits/lifestyles contrary to mine?

I guess so, they do have a "block" feature with the message board.

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago about Wal-mart firing an employee - had nothing to do with railroading. A debate ensued and, finally, the thread was locked. Did I appreciate the moderator closing down the discussion? No. Could I have done anything about it? No. I accepted it and moved on. You must remember that this bbs belongs to someone who makes and enforces the rules. If that person wants to allow 'off-topic' discussions there is nothing you can do.