Politically Correct Statements- Here???

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Well, here I go, despite my best judgement but...

I just visited a thread that had nothing to do with politics, world opinion, anything controversial. In fact, why would there be such a thread at all in here regarding any of that? There, in another person's post was a reference to anti-smoking.

What does that have to do with communicating with other model railroaders? Even if you vehemetly disagree with smokers habits, does it need to be part of a topic of discussion in a railroad forum?

Should we now start expressing our politics here?

Should I now emote freely my opinions on many other topics of the what I think are social diseases that offend me?

Puhlease, I came here to exchange ideas, thoughts and opinions regarding model railroading- not to express my opinions of anyone's habits/lifestyles, filthy or otherwise!!!

:eek:

Am I wrong? What do you think? You have every right to express your opinion. Will you?

:confused: :mad: :D :cool: :( :p ;)

acshrpe

Oct 15, 2002
Southern MI
Visit site
You wanted my opinion so here goes. Yes, this is a web site to exchange ideas for model railroading, but this area is titles General Talk. This area is for what ever we want to talk about, be it our health or a train. I know I have not been a member for as long as some of them, but IMO we have form some what of a friendship bond. We feel confortable talking about whatever we want to. If you are looking for ideas, go to the subtitles that might give you the answers you are looking for.

Are you telling me that in you past when you have joined a club of some kind all you talk about is the common item you are working on? At work, do you develop friends and exchange information about you family, hobbies, likes and dislikes? Or are you the kind that punch in, punch out and don't say anything to a co-worker unless it is job related? If you are, I feel sorry for you.

Friends are important in a person's life, do matter if you talke to them face to face, or on a computer screen. I consider the members here my friends and enjoying sharing information about them. Sometimes just a kind word will brighten up a persons day.

I am sorry if I offended you, but you wanted my opinion. If you do not like our general talk area, don't talk about general things. Just to to to the sub catagory that interest you.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Is there such a thing as a politicly correct stament?

Model railroading goes hand in hand with many other topics that are not concidered modeling.

If you go into the HO section and go back a couple pages until you find a thread titled "bad kitty" you'll see a bunch of cat's (and a dog:) ) on lay out tables. What do cats have to do with trains?? nothing, but for some reason they are magneticly attracted to our lay outs. I think mostly it is because the table is a high place for them to sleep.

I'm a smoker, and I smoke more when I'm modeling than I would normaly. So if I make the statement " I finaly got that 4-6-6-6 done, I smoked more than it ever will" is that a politicly correct statement? It has to do with modeling.

You'll find out soon enough that we've all developed a certian kind of freindship here at The-Gauge and aren't afraid to go off track to ask a question unrelated to trains. That's what makes this the # 1 forum. You can ask just about anything and get some good answers.

So kick back and enjoy, don't be afraid to derail with a question cause we'll put you back on track.:) :) :) :)

By the way: WELCOME TO THE-GAUGE:D :D :D :D

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
No offense taken acshrpe...

No offense taken acshrpe, I enjoy all the Topics in place here. I appreciate your reply.

This could be an excersize- I said my post was, "against my better judgement but..."

Railroading/Model Railroading, I guess that's what I was thinking I'd find in "General" topics. Not whether I don't appreciate another person's personal habits.

I described what I read- should I now assume it's okay to express my opinions about topics that have no bearing on my railroad experience and exclude people that have habits/lifestyles contrary to mine?

I guess so, they do have a "block" feature with the message board.

Takes all kinds I guess- even those who need to exclude just to make a politically correct statement? (Gee aren't they who are always saying you need to include "eveyone"?).

Well, there's another sock in my mouth.

Mark

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I agree with RI. Political Correctness is for woosies. Scared to speak up because it might hurt someones feelings. That's what PC is, and it gets you stifling of speech. For those of us not fortunant enough to live in a free speech country, my heart goes out to you. For those of us who take free speech for granted, my heart goes out to you. I am of the few, the lucky, the chosen, who have had the honor to sit on both sides of the fence. I understand what it's like to live where they kill you if you speek out. Until my rights are ripped away from my cold dead body, I will say what I want, when I want, where I want.

Neeeeow, I will say, with this freedom, this God Given right, comes responsibility. I call this moral correctness. That is up to each individual to practice and self govern. If you don't understand that of which I speak, there are many great books on the issue. I would suggest starting with Matthew. Part of this moral responsibility, most will agree, is to not judge others for excercisng their rights, to speak, to smoke and to have their own opinions.

In the words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just be friends?" I love you all!

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Heh, Shane...

Yeah, I know- I'm not looking for "the" answer. I really like this BB. I was inspired to ask the question by what I read. This is a forum so I posed a question.

Like I said- I could mention all the things that upset me in someway- but I came here to talk "Whoo-Whoo, Ding-Ding".

I didn't expect for comments on someone's smoking habits.

Mark

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I feel oppressed!

Heh- thanks for the ring in jon-monon.

I felt oppressed by someone else speaking their mind. The theme of this thread is whether it's important to tell me you're, oh let's make a list:

• Okay, let's not.

I'm talking about someone making it known that they have a statement to make not relevant to the topic.

In my personal case, I now have no desire to exchange with or engage them because they have made their decision to amplify their opinion on a topic having nothing to do with the topic at hand.
For all we know- there "could" have been some decent exchanges.

Mark

btw- nice pic!

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I don't know what thread you are referring to, but this thread, I feel, is healthy. Good. I don't know how anyone would take offense to anything anyone said on this thread. Except maybe for the leaders in some of the places I've visited :) God Bless you all and Merry Christmas.

acshrpe

Oct 15, 2002
Southern MI
Visit site
Mark, I realize that I stated some strong opinions of my own. No offense taken. Some of us live in a remote area and the only link we have to others who interest includes trains is this board. I know in our area the only clubs are 1 - 2 hr away and not even in the scale we are doing. The closest one (30 min) is a group of guys that only do HO scale. They are not reconized by any other group except themselves. I just found out about them thru a newspaper article. The are a bunch of dentists who can spend a lot of money on pre assembled kits. The area they are from if you are not in their professional field you are beneith them.

There on this board we are all equal - we all have an interest in trains. I guess you call this our common bond.

Welcome to the board. You will meet some extremely wonderful people. You may not like what each and everyone will say but isn't this America?

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Okay, and a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to ALL.
Shamus
wink.gif

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I am very happy I discovered this forum! It is pleasant, laid-back, friendly, and all those good things that go towards fostering friendships and the happy exchange of ideas. But, let us be on guard that we do not take honesty and openness to the point that it causes hard feelings, rancor, and wars of words. I belong to another forum where these things do occasionally arise and it creates nothing worthwhile or profitable to me, a modeler, who wants nothing more than the friendliness and camaraderie I have found here. If we look hard enough we can find some flaw in anything/anybody that we might object to: however, we don't have to look too hard to see all the good things about something/somebody that makes them unique and worthwhile to know. Let's celebrate that uniqueness and our common interest and continue to make this the friendliest and most laid-back forum available!

Happy Holdiays to all!

Dick

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Mark, first of all - welcome to The Gauge! You'll find we are a friendly supportive bunch here.
Since I don't know what thread you were referring to regarding the smoking comment, I can't make any judgement. However, I should warn you that we are kind of a wacky bunch here and sometimes get wayyyy "off topic". Of course, sometimes the topic itself is wacky, such as removeable eoads or lazy plastic people and how to scare them into line!!
On the Atlas forum, which I sometimes visit, it's interesting to read posts that say "I hope I'm not going to have this thread deleted...." because there, the moderators are super-strict about keeping to the topic of model trains. Not to bash the folks at Atlas, but to me that kind of rigidity is boring. I like the Gauge's open-minded policies much better - it suits me just fine. Perhaps it doesn't suit you, or perhaps you just need a little time to lose a few marbles like the rest of us!!!!!
Anyway, welcome aboard.

cheers
:p Val

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I speak my mind when it comes to some things as along as it concerns railroading and model trains,I try to stay out of PC topics as a rule,but,will voice my opinion when I feel there is a need to.. I drink coffee,smoke,eat red meats,junk food,don't drink,fear God,and let the other guy live his life the way that pleases him. In return I ask but of one thing let me live mine the way I see fit...sounds fair to me, yet there are those who would change my life to fit their life styles and their screwball ideals,that my friends is how to get on the wrong side of me in a hurry..

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Mark and Welcome Aboard....I think that you will find something a bit different about this board from all of the rest of the model railroad boards....we are all friends here in addition to being modelers...there's no infighting, flaming or political correctness here....we're just a bunch of folks enjoying and sharing our hobby and sharing life experiences and a bit of brevity and foolishness too. Many of us came here because we simply did not fit in the "stuffed shirt"and "I'm better that you are" attitudes so frequently found on some other boards. In addition to that there is quite a bit of expertise here in model railroading....there's help and assistance and expertise here that's just not available anywhere else.

So if a friend needs support to quit smoking, or someone wants to "rail" about his cat pissing on his layout or if someone wants to post Roadrunner cartoons, then that's just part of what goes on here. We're more than glad to have you if you want to be a part of it but you gotta "take it like you find it" I did and I enjoy every minute I've spent here. There's nothing exclusive about any thing or any person here...we're just "plain folks" enjoying our hobby and enjoying life.

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Mark
First off, Welcome to the club.
Now come the part I learned the hard way. There is no such thing as a dumb question or dumb answere. If I have a question that I think needs a answere I feel free to ask here even if I personly think it is a dumb question I don't dare say "I have a dumb question". That is a no/no. Chances are there are others lurking on this thread that had the same question but didn't ask for some reason. You may get several different answeres and all could be correct and it is up to you to pick the one you think suits you best.
Again, Welcome to the Gauge and Merry Christmas

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Thanks to all.

I was told by a couple of regulars here on The Gauge about what a great BB it is. It is, that by virtue of the responses I read (I read them all).

As far as I'm conderbed the subject is closed. I guess I came across what they call in statistics- an outlier. Something so far out of the norm that it really shouldn't be considered for whatever reason- making a decision, forming an opinion, etc.

Thanks again for the intelligent input on what I thought was going to be a "touchy" subject.

Feel free to comment, I will read them all but with what I stated here I will not respond any further.

Oh, and let me say thanks for the "welcomes" too.:)

rich maiorano

Apr 27, 2002
levittown pa
aam guessing but are you mcl taking about the thread I started and guess what am still smoking too we are all freinds here and I thought this was one way too get some help from friends and if dont like go jump in the canel your do you need a push:p :p RICH

don't like my apples don't shake my tree or train for that matter:mad: :mad:

and buy the way whats this have to do with trains