Polar Lights TOS Klingon D7 1:1000

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Hello again,
I started this 6 years ago, it's the Polar Lights Star Trek Klingon D7 Battle-cruiser in 1:1000 scale. I got it off the sprue, then put the pieces back in to box to clear the table. My Wife picked up the box and I didn't see it again till a few months ago. in the mean time the instructions got lost but at least the decals were in the box.

speaking of the box...
Klingon D7 Box top.jpg

So I sat down at my work table last week one night after work but before bed and started thinking, a quick ask on Facebook and I had the web page for Round 2 models and a link to the D7's instructions as a pdf. A few trys of colors and I started building the major sub-assemblies. I started seam repair during "Day of the Doctor" last night and finished today.

and a pic as it sits now.
D7 major subassemblies.jpg

I tryed a few different colors but I'm not happy with them yet so I'll probably end up mixing my own on this one. Vallejo ModelAire colors will be used throughout.

I'll post more as I do it.

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
This color has got to be WRONG...

Hi all,
Update for today, I got out my paints and followed the kit instructions and mixed 80% Light Grey with 20% Napoleonic Violet and shot it onto the main assemblies that get this color which yeilded this.

Klingon D7 sub assemblies.jpg

This color just strikes me as TOO Pink for Klingons....

what do y'all think?

Help please.

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
okay this aint gonna work. there is no way this is the right color.
assembled to show the colors next to each other.

top view
D7 pink top.jpg

and side
D7 pink starboard high.jpg

I just don't think this can be the right color combination.

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I think I'm just going to stick with premixed colors and do a three grey , Light Ghost, Neutral, and Sea Grey.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Bhelliom

Jun 20, 2009
Parma Center NY
I know the original was a grey/green color combo, but not that drastically different. The ancient Star Trek Poster Book series had an issue with good color photos of the original model that showed the color difference well. I don't think the 2 shades were distinguishable on screen, and with the remastered version out there now, all bets are off. Like any other model, I'd say just go with what looks right to you.

Scott K.

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I'm trying for a Command ship with a custom name since the decals include the whole Klingon alphabet.

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
tos klingonese is different from stng Klingon. kang, kolak, keyless, are the only hints.
there are sites on the web that have dictionaries and other kinds of games to teach Klingon, but if it were me, and I hope it will soon be-as I am still refining my skills and making improvements to my Klingon models, I would use the symbols that are attractive to me. I would name it blood dragon, or screaming heart or something like that, maybe the enemies' terror. just to bounce around and get the ball rolling with people making suggestions. by the way, I really liked the colors you did, making all the energy ports green with green leds, would look good with the violet. and the impulse intake grid red. maybe a filtered red for the windows, to make them look in attack light mode.
I am sure that your repaint will probably make me happy too.

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Just a quick update this morning, that Horrid pink has been stripped off of the kit and today will see the new base colors shot.

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Okay I made a paint chip chart while I was waiting for the primer coat to dry today. These are the colors I have available to paint with.

20131203_125759.jpg

On the top row you'll see Pale Grey Blue 70907, Pale Grey Blue 71046, and US Blue Grey 71114. These are the three greys I'm gonna try next.

This is how it sits now.
20131203_142418.jpg

I'm gonna try and get the base colors shot before it gets too cold.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
These Polar Light models were a chance to get models that we no longer available. It was such a good idea, now, they have become the unobtanium. I'd go with the fewer colors. Sometimes less is ore.

When Monogram had a fire, they lost many, far too many molds due to the water used by the fire department. I went to 7 hobby Shops and purchased 7, 1/8th scale, Jaguar XKE models for an average of $35.00 dollars each. I sold 5 of them for $100 dollars a piece and kept two. One person I sold one to, sold to his "buddy", and wanted another one from me. I told him no, I was keeping them. He was infuriated. Last week I walked into his Foreign Car parts store. I hadn't seen him for 25 years. He still owns 2 real Jaguar XKE's. I still was not sure if I wanted to sell the model, it depended on the first words he said. He says, "John,reaches his hand out, and says, where the Hell have you been?, with a big smile. I pulled out the model XKE, I had it wrapped in a towel. Still sealed in clear original plastic wrap, never opened. The look on his face was amazing. The model is 20.5" inches long, the wndows even roll up and down with the window crank, full engine detail and suspension, doors open, hood opens forward), I told him I had promised him first dibs if I ever decided to sell it. He said, "How much?", with a real look of concern, "I said $225.00, not a penny less", He said, "Will you take a check? I said "sure we know each other well enough". We both parted company happy. I still have one left. :)

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I remember that model, I think I trashed one way back in the mid seventies... used too much glue and no paint and finally killed it with a BB gun. A good friend still has hi all original one owner XKE beautiful car.

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
Update Sunday

I finally got the three grey-blue scheme done and clear-coated, ready for decals.
view from above.
20131208_174226.jpg

and from portside
20131208_174303.jpg

and head on
20131208_174243.jpg

this color scheme looks much better.

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
It has a name!

I got the decals applied, complete with a custom name.

Boch'Ra.jpg

It dosen't translate to anything, it's just a name I've used in RPGs for years written in the Klingon alphabet.

Boch'Ra

next is to flat coat it, and then simulate the lights.

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
I've been trying to upload pics of my finished D7, IKC Boch'Ra, but haven't been able to upload the pics, I'll check witht the mods and see if it's my system or something else.

micahrogers

Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
we'll see if you can see the finished pics this way.
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1479517_620181314708843_569370577_n.jpg

thanks

1479517_620181314708843_569370577_n.jpg

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
looks great!!!
I have to be a bore and say that I think a

metallic dark silver,
the same grey you used
and then the same shade level as you chose, but with a aqua.

but that is only because of you doing this thread, and I have been searching online builds for about an hour every night!
that's just my preferential opinion by the way. for all I know you got the original colors exactly right.