Point Loma Lighthouse (A beginner's Design/build)

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by bholderman, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Brad,

Nice doors! They really are a prime candidate for some 3D shadowing, wouldn't you say?

I added them to the low-resolution image. Should be very nice in your original resolution. Simply copy the four squares in the door into a separate layer above the original door (which is kept unchanged below), and apply the recipy attached to that new layer for starters.

Hope you don't feel I' meddling here...

Leif
  2. bholderman

bholderman Member

Leif,

No meddling implied, I appreciate the suggestions. I'll give that a try, but my intial thought was to trim out the panels onto a seperate sheet, sandwhiched under the main door. The 2 vertical strips on the left are the vertical portions of the door jam, I haven't done the horizontal portions yet.

But this first build is just a test (I've gotten quite a list of notes to improve the second), so I'll give a couple of things a go, including your suggestions. Sheesh Im more worried about scratchbuilding an effective door knob at this point.

I have progressed over the past day on the build. I'll post some more pics later today.

Cheers,
    Brad
  3. bholderman

bholderman Member

Greetings,

Just an update. I've spending some free time at work redrawing the basement windows and front door. Next are the first floor windows, but for now, here are 2 images of the redraw.

Cheers,
    Brad
  4. bholderman

bholderman Member

And here's the basement window:
  5. bholderman

bholderman Member

Just a follow-up, they are pretty simple, but they are also going to be rather small when printed anyway, so here's hoping.

Cheers,
    Brad
  6. bholderman

bholderman Member

So, I finally have the first floor window ready for a test build. Hopefully, I'll have some decent pics by the end of the weekend.

Cheers,
    Brad
  7. bholderman

bholderman Member

Greetings,

Was it just me or was the site down for a few days?

Just an update with no pics. I'm slowly cutting and assembling the new doors and windows. They look ok, I think.

Unfortunately, I've been suprised by a testing date this Sunday aboard the Star of India (apparently they are in need (that's the important part) of crewmembers). So, I probably won't get a lot accomplished this week, but by Monday, I'll know most of my rigging questions answered.

Cheers,
    Brad
  8. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Yep, Brad, it was down for a bit...apparently some glich with servers, but I dont' really know the details.

Glad we're back, and happy to see you posted a brief update...enjoy the test this weekend! Have fun!!

Cheers!

Jim
  9. bholderman

bholderman Member

Greetings,

Another update without pics, Ill have some tomorrow night. I had a small struggle building new windows for the model, but my brain finallly managed to connect with my fingers. Thus, I have 1 "good" window installed. That leaves 5 to go on the main structure, but now that I know what I am doing, hopefully, Ill start moving forward at a better clip, although I think I may have made that statement before.

Cheers,
    Brad
  10. bholderman

bholderman Member

So finally a few pics.

I managed to get the rear (north) windows in place. The basement windows are set farther back than the first floor, hopefully that obvious. I used only plain paper for the window structure which meant they finished up flimsy, some gaps can be seen in the corners of the jambs. I think a little sheathing of the inside might fix this.
  11. bholderman

bholderman Member

While my skills are still rough and my photography is a load of (^%$, the depth of the windows adds a nice touch. A little tweaking and they should lokk decent.

Cheers,
    Brad
  12. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Indeed; and an extra layer of drain pipes? - L.
  13. bholderman

bholderman Member

Leif,

Not yet, but Ill get to that. The drain pipe actually sits off of the main structure about an inch or so.

Brad
  14. bholderman

bholderman Member

Just another non-pic update to this this excruciatingly slow build. For the fron (south) side, I fixed the windows to card stock which firmed them up and helped with the gaps that occurred on the north side. Which in turn tells me to redo the north windows again...

Cheers,
    Brad
  15. Gil

Gil Active Member

Brad,

Very nice work! Your perseverance is now beginning to payoff beautifully...,

Gil
  16. bholderman

bholderman Member

So, my attempt with new windows and doors has become a lesson in fultility, but it goes slow. The scale was off slightly but fixable. I'm using generic Elmer's white glue which isn't holding to the acetate very well.

But, I hoped to have the windows and doors finished up tonight. I've started the roof by printing 2 copies of it, trimmming 2-tile deep strips and overlaping them to give a "tiled" look to it. One benefit, it has firmed up quited a bit which should take the tower rather well. Hopefully by Tuesday or Wednesday, Ill have the main struture and roof ready for another lesson in photography.

Cheers,
    Brad