PModels F-20 Tigershark

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Oct 1, 2006.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

It has been awhile since my last model and I've been aching to get back to it!
    This years season opener,(I count fall thru mid spring the prime modeling season here in Avondale,Pa), is an almost "as is" F-20 Tigershark from PModel, from Japan/Nippon. These kits are available as downloads from Japan as well as from Spishop and are very well designed. Most of them are 1-50 scale and have no cockpits but oddly enough have fairly detailed wheelwells and very good ordnance. The designer I believe is K. Gondou, and some of the earlier works have been designed with few, if any, formers. The shapes are rolled/folded into there final dimensions and surprisingly hold the overall profiles rather well. Some of the later kits are starting to appear with fuselage formers, of a sort, and some with fairly detailed cockpits. It is here that I'm departing from the "as is" design of the F-20. PModel has redesigned the F-5 and given it an interior. Years ago I kitbashed a Maly cockpit into an enlarged F-5E and it worked pretty well, this year I took the F-5E cockpit and am trying to graft it into the F-20. The 1st set of pics are actually from the Pmodel site showing thier completed F-20 and the updated F-5.

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The F-20 Tigershark was an expensive gamble on Northrups part to update and upgrade their F-5 Freedom fighter/Tiger series of aircraft. I don't recall the upgrade specs but I think the targeted purchaser was our own Airforce. They updated the avionics and engine performance and when all was said and done they got no contract. The aircrafts upgrades were so significant that they couldn't release the technology overseas either, so they were stuck with using one of the prototypes with Chuck Yeager on the Tele to sell batteries of one brand or another. As I've said earlier it's been awhile so this will be snail's pace compared to Golden Bears builds so please "bear with me", sorry GB couldn't resist. The 1st nights work has been building the F5E cockpit and Ejection seat. I kept the scale the original 1/50, my "uber" computer from Dell seized up this summer and all my cool graphics stuff was lost to the ether, also I want to see if I can Hack it thru a smaller scale, I am running out of space here and eventually I want to build a few big planes and 1/50 would save alot o' room.

Attached Files:

3. Darwin

Darwin Member

Glad to see you back, Ted. Common woe of the paper modeler....to paraphrase a panel from one of my favorite online cartoon strips, "I don't have too many models. I just lack the space for a proper home museaum."

Carl,when you're thugging the extras from an old Maly kit, they really could be pink.
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

P-Model Recommendation

Cmdrted,

Glad to see you're back! Missed your great builds but glad to see you're at once again. I just ordered the P-Models A4C which I believe you modeled some time back and was wondering if you recommend any other models in that line. I have the 747SP and F104J the last which I am beginning the build now. The A6M2 Type 21 looks like a 1:48 version of the Halinski offering.

Again, glad you're back, -Gil
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Hi guys, thanks for all encouragemennt. The cockpit is actually a light gray but the pics were taken at night under the desk lamps, the snapshot of the instructions turned out yellow and in reality they reflect enough light to get a tan! Gil, any PModel is worth getting. The only ones I don't have are the 747, and a couple of the acrobat coloured ones. The first pitfall for this build is the nose section. They designed it in 2 pieces top and bottom, so that when built it kinda looks like a duckbill. It took 2 tries and alot of "nonreligious incantations" and it still looks like... well... a duckbill! I think I may graft the nose of the F5E on it and see how that looks. From what I remember of the Hasegawa kit from the 80s it kinda had a slopeing front nose but I don't think it was duckbill shaped. Also the 1/50 scale is OK to work with but I need a better pair of bifocals!

Attached Files:

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Well guys and thanks golden bear, I think it's better. I dedesigned the nose cone to be one complete section instead of 2. It looks alot better, it may not have a subtle double ogive fwd section but in 1/50 it looks ok. I also re tweaked afew things while playing with the nose; the wheels will be more tread like instead of "tuna can" shaped, the nose section now will have separate 20mm cannons instead of printed on, the ejection seat got a small rework, includeing separate cushions/chute pieces and separate harnesseseseses. I know i tried to leave it "as is" but some things just nag and have to be done "right?"

Attached Files:

7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

What a diffrance a small tweak does to the cockpit appearance, 1st pic as designed 2nd the rework.

Attached Files:

8. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Forgive me for saying that I can't see much difference. The only thing I can see different is the shoulder straps are now their own part not just printed on.
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Very small differances, new seat cushions separate harness, just a bit of change but to me seems a bit "better". Here is a pic left is cockpit with changes, right is as issued.

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Finally caught up where I wanted to be yesterday. The F5E cockpit fits fairly well. It needed a little "jiggerypokery" and and trimming fore and aft to fit. The rear bulkhead is a little short but will be covered up by the aft canopy fairing. I worked @1-2 hours on the left intake only to have it crumple and not fit into it's slot on the fuselage. Thats all for tonight...

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Well almost the end for tonight! I started on the canopy, 1st by building a copy of the colored in version but inside out, with the connector strips outside, so the inside is fairly smooth. Then out comes the sculpey, pressed into all the space inside the paper canopy, no more than 1/4 inch thick. Then baked 275F for 15 minutes. Out comes the rough mold, then polished up. Well, almost polished, it's late and now it's time to knock off, really this time...

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Re-doing in 1/33 scale

Well it's been awhile and I had to start rethinking the 1/50 vs. 1/33 battle. Well the 1/33 finally won again! I was 1/3 of the way along the fuselage and thumbs, presbyopia, and just unsuitable card capabilities proved more than I can handle. Plus the argument that most of my builds are in 1/33 so I just caved. The Pmodel system of builds have to done in the order of the instructions. everything interlocks and requires parts from a previous step. There are a few exceptions, small detail parts, landing gear, missiles, but for the most 1 follows 2 etc. Here are a few pics of the fuselage pretty far along. The grafting of the F5E cockpit went well, I had to pop out a few details to go with the increase of size, there are still afew things I would've added, but I lack the actual detailed pics etc etc, plus it will be covered by the canopy I vacuformed today.

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

OOps, the cockpit pics. I enlarged the ejection seat built up cushions instead of the printed on set, added the belts and stuff, added the O2 bottle and some type of canopy release handle and added a couple throttle levers. I have to add the HUD and the fwd filler piece to the forward antiglare piece and trim up the glass to fit the aircraft.

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

A sequence showing the rudder build. You had to start by building the the intake at the base, then the actual rudder pieces, they then are inserted into the fwd intake section. Then the after section is inserted into the fwd and around the rudder. The parts go together well, fit is perfect, it is just my lack and loss of skills from too long a model hiatus. Still excuses and gripeing about size aside so far so good.....

Attached Files:

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Rudder is just about finished. You have to mount the fin to the last segments of the fuselage 1st. In the photo it kinda looks like the tydirium shuttle! Later you mount it to the parts you finished from step 12 or so. I finished up tonight rolling the 20mm cannon barrels and mounting them. (Got tired of "dogfighting" my son's F5E with no armament!). The short version of the story is years ago we were playing Flight Leader, an Avalon Hill board wargame and we started building planes to better visualize some of the maneuvers used in the game. We "digressed" at times and chased each other with our jets all over the house! Now that we build them as a hobby for display, he still makes "attack runs" with his finished (my do-over) planes.

Attached Files:

16. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

What a beautiful build, cmdrted!

I admire how you stopped in mid-stream and upscaled the model...seems to me you hit the ground running again, and she is really coming out great!

There's just something about the lines of this jet that has always attracted me. I'm no aircraft expert, but I seem to recall first seeing lines of this sort on the jet trainer Talon many years ago...the fighter version (if, in fact, it's a variation) has to my eye slicker lines. The rudder/stabilizer shape along with the slightly drooping nose has always struck me as an attractive combination.

You mention a few posts earlier about some lack/loss of skills from a hiatus; well, I'll be darned if I see any of that evident in this build, my friend. Brilliant work!

I love the many photos you've posted in this thread, and your enlightening narrative of the building process. I am enjoying this build thread very much!

Looking forward to more as you go along.

Cheers!
    Jim
  17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Well todays experiment and "progress". Finished the fuselage and started building the exhaust nozzle, and was "underwhelmed" with the detail that was ok at 1/50 but just not right in 1/33. When I built the F4B from GPM they had an interesting way of 3Ding the turkey feathers, so I borroed their technique and using the black nozzle as a template, cobbed up individual pieces to be placed and folded over the black section giving it more of a detailed appearance. Enclosed is the before and after pics of the process. Not much more to go, canopy rails landing gear and little antennaes here and there.....

Attached Files:

18. Gil

Gil Active Member

cmdrted,

Beautiful work! Really improved the rear view of the model.

-Gil
  19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That little change made a huge difference! most impressed - thanks for sharing that with us :)
    Chris
  20. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Your experiment was clearly a big success!

Very nice detail work, cmdrted.

Cheers!
    Jim