PModel A6M2N Rufe Flaotplane

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Nov 21, 2006.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

looks great! time for me to go make some more exhaust pipes :) cant wait to see the finished product!
    Chris
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

"Euro-building"

While takeing a break and lurking on the euro sites, I noticed that alot of those guys have a cool build sequence, at least differant from my cut'n paste. They cut out all the parts to a particular segment, if not all of them, and then have at it. I tried this for the second float and it seems to work well. The first pic is all the parts cut out trimmed and laid out ready to fold/roll and paste.

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The second step was to form and glue the various segments allowing them to dry while continueing moving along, so far so good...

Attached Files:

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The segments were then joined to each other, while waiting for one segment to dry I worked on the support strut...

Attached Files:

5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Both halves done, then joined and the mounting strut added, 2 floats for the Rufe! I definetly like this way alot better, it does take a little choreography, getting the build sequence in your head, gathering all the parts, and although I didn't do it and should have, you probably should make the part number somewhere if there are alot of dissimilar parts. If you're building an engine with alot of redundant parts you should probably be ok. This method let things continue without stopping at each assembled piece and having to cut out the next part from the parts sheet. A great lesson for me from the masters of card modeling, now if I can just get the seams tighter!

Attached Files:

6. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Good sequence! I think you are right about the cutting of all parts in an assembly group. I've seen it taken to extremes with many dozens of parts, but on this kind of thing it makes a lot of sense.

Rick
  7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Near the end...

The main float was finally finished tonight! It was like a mini-fuselage, 1 main strut and 2 supports. Nothing extraordinary about construction, no problems fit was great!...

Attached Files:

8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Almost there...

Fitted the main float to the fuselage tonight, the beaching cradle makes a fairly good resting stand!

Attached Files:

9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Finally!

Finished the Rufe up tonight. Mounted the pitot tube, secondary floats and engine. Not a bad kit, my first floatplane I actually finished. Started on the Maly Arado but never finished, it's sittin' in a box at the "Island of unfinished models". The kit went together well, except for the formers issues. They formers seem to have been designed as the fullsized cross-section they were to form. I don't think they allowed for the thickness of the card, as a result, the few times I used them according to the directions, I got a few bulges. The kit also had tons of glue tabs. A huge % of time I cut them off and butt glued stuff. The fit of the parts was excellant, graphics good, not wild about the bright green colour, the accuracy was pretty good. The references on the web seemed to collaborate with most of the kit parts. Not a Halinski kit by comparison, more GPM/Modelik class. For downloadable kits @ the same as the later Marek kits, but with all the connecting strips and parts included. Once more designers, I HATE HAVING TO MAKE MY OWN STRIPS!!!@! Overall @ 8.5 to 8.0 !

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Bottom view,

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Topside 3/4 view

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Partial frontal shot. Di-Di-DiDi Dah-Di Di Dah Di - Dats All Folks!!!

Attached Files:

13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

WOW!:lol:

I have got to build this one. I've had it for a while.

:cool: FANTASTIC Ted!:cool:
  14. Clashster

Clashster Member

BEAUTIFUL!
    Definately think I will have to try one of the Pmodels (this one is high on the list!) Thanks for the great pics and narrative! :grin:
  15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

That's an impressive display! Man that main float is huge, how did it carry it around? :grin:

Great job!
    Rick
  16. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

Nice build! But from flat sheets to finished product in 16 days?? Are you trying to entice me from ships over to the Dark Side?? :grin:

Regards,
  17. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Excellent job!
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

sweet build commander - another outstanding example of your work!
    Chris
  19. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

That doesn't look a bit like the Trojan Horse!

But it does look like a well-built A6M-2N Rufe!

Nicely done.
  20. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Bloody well done, I dare say!
    Jolly good show O'l chap!!
    She's a beaut!

Russell