PModel A6M2N Rufe Flaotplane

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Nov 21, 2006.

1. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

Your model is looking great, so far! You guys are amazing me with your building skills. I have been following several build threads and they really have been educational and entertaining. Keep it up!!!:grin:
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks, building models has alot of pluses, it is entertaining, fun, keeps the mind sharp, I think it helps with dexterity, doesn't do squat for vision!, keeps me outta other trouble if I wasn't doing this, I'd be doing something else with the same passion and determination, you know like "try and take over the world" or something! I used to shoot long range rifles, bench rest and silouette. There is alot of work in that activity, preparing brass cases, down to the thousands of an inch, weighing things, testing loads, taking care of the rifles. I was spending thousands, every few months on parts, components and things. My wife used to cringe when a match was approaching as the expense was enormous! she has breathed a heavy sigh of relief when I retired and re-started modeling. Every now and then she raises an eyebrow, (and very loud Irish-German voice) about my spending on this hobby, but I untactfully point out that the new season for shooting is around the corner, and man do I miss that! She Humpfs and walks away! Not sure what the above was all about but, oh yeah, she left for shopping which let me do the unthinkable... Yes Vacuformed the canopie!

Attached Files:

3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I tell you Ted you are 'it' on those canopies! I knew you'd figure it out!

Carl......... Ted did a tut on his process on the other server and he has got it down to a simple science. Even drew out the plans to build everything.

I've been envious for awhile! Soon as I'm over this shingle business thing I'm going to crank up the old Vac-U-Form and do me some.
  4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

A Teaser!

Just a little peak. Had to test the framework geometry, and it works. This was the 1st glass but it looks OK to me so this is the one I'm going to mount. Just have to finish up the gunsight and the radio antennae then it gets attached.

Attached Files:

5. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

That's one sharp looking canopy! Sure beats scratch building!

Rick
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks guys! One last pic before work. The gunsight was pretty rudimentary, but when I test fit the canopy you really can't see all the dials and switches, so I guess this will do. The radio direction finder was mounted and now all that remains is to glue up the canopy. That'll be tomorrow!

Attached Files:

7. Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Member

You know between the 14 cylinder radial on this one and the 9 for the GeeBee R1 somebody could really be a glutton for punishment. The 14 for any of FW-190s out there. The 9 can be doubled up for an 18 cylinder to put in a Corsair or Hellcat or even GPM's B-29
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks Carl. I have detail envy! I'll try to make a bit better cockpit next project! I started on the spinner and props. I hate the next day off after night shift, I don't feel much like doing anything tedious so this is it. The canopy glazeing will have to wait. Here are the parts to the spinner and prop blades...

Attached Files:

9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

To make the props, and give them an aerofoil shape, you start out with the flat blade, (left), then give it a curl down the shaft. I use an aluminum crochet hook and rubber gum eraser,(centre) and here are the curfed shapes (right). Then lightly coat the mateing surfaces with a fine film of glue, let it dry then another very fine film of glue then mate the halves together. Once again thanking Gil for coating the edges technique, this makes the halves glue together nice with a minimun of fuss.

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

There isn't alot of detail pics of building the hub, it is pretty straight forward, a series of wideneing cones, sandwhiching the blades.

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Shot of the blades mounted to the engine...

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

A "fun shot", I set up the camera for "high speed" pics, gave the prop a spin and tried to capture the blades in motion, didn't come out to well but what the heck, it was fun trying!

Attached Files:

13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Looks like it just starting up to me.............. hope you got it tied down good Ted!
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OH............. Congratulations on Picture of the Week!:cool:
  15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks guys! Talking about canopy and glass... I think I've got it! Had a reasonable night's sleep, and viola' or thereabouts...

Attached Files:

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And a 3/4 shot! Now off to the floats...

Attached Files:

17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

dang thats nice - quit it :p heh heh
    Chris
  18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Little float

Started on the little float tonight. A series of roughly concentric circles with a v crease at the bottom.

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The front half has 2 formers that I totally disregarded the piece that you should glue with the flaps, I guess the thought was to have more "meat" in the former to grab the inside of the part. I did this on the fuselage and regretted it. If I had to "do-over" I'd not use the things, or just use a slightly thicker card and treat them as standard formers. The support strut wsas pretty straight forward. They have you re-inforce the thing with 2 small itty bitty card rectangular boxes, I just whittled a flat toothpick to shape and ran it all the way through. Seems a little sturdier and simpler to me...

Attached Files:

20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The finished small float, ready to mount. One more of these and the huge centre float and it's done!

Attached Files: