Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Nov 21, 2006.
Great recovery! That's one nice aspect of a downloaded kit - infinite retry possibilities!
Awesome fix! Nice job commander! (if thats what the cmdr stands for) Sure is a great build.
Thanks guys, Just for Hahs, I started on the canopy template, just to make my night complete, the fwd windscreen will not fit. I havve to figure out how to play with the part to get it to even come close. I've decided taht when the time comes the canopy will have to be open. Chris, yes it was commander 26 years ago.. Another life and time. When I started to enter the digital age, and get an email, I couldn't think of an email name so one of my colleagues at work suggested cmdrted. Stuck with me ever since then.
Hey Ted........... great work as always. And I know you'll nail the canopy on this one too!8)
Bought me some sculpey........ now I've got to pull out that ebay Vac-u-form I squirled away and start cranking out them pretty clear covers!:grin:
Do you save your molds? DO they last long enough to be saved for future builds?
John, yes they last as long as you don't put them in the bottom of a tool kit. I have my original F5E mold from a few years ago. Have fun with the thing, it is so neat, the first time I did it, I made @ 5- 6 canopies and then started vacuforming whatever was around! This canopy thing bites! I've played with 2 rebuilds, that "frustration, should scrap the damn thing and start over feeling thing" is just under the surface. Must resist.....
YES.............. You MUST RESIST THAT TEMPATION!
Step away from the knife and put you hands on the table and keep them in plain (plane) site!
I did this plane in the Gullows balsa version. Instead of dope and tissue I went ahead and covered it in balsa and shaped it down. Got all the way to the floats and had one of those moments............. do you know balsa crumples nicely into a ball shaped hunk of wood?
Check out some references I think the shape of the canopy area on the Rufe was a little different than on the plain ole zeke.
Reguardless you'll figure it out.
Resistance is NOT Futile!
Thanks for talking me down John! I took a night off, restarted today, and zoiks! I think I've got it! The problem was not the kit! It was the machine gun breech bulgeing part. This thing in the instructions is meant to have to Valley folds at the middle instead of mountain folds. This goes against all intuition when forming the fwd windscreen area. Once I actually looked at the instructions, In Japanese and all, and in color, it became clear! I was "saving some ink" by printing the instructions, a; at work, which leads to b; in black and white! The PModel COLOUR instructions actually have colour coded fold indicators, blue for mountain, red for valley, which actually clears up Alot of confusion, given thier unique construction/assembly style. And I broke the "Man Code" rule # 4, and actually read the damn things. Sorry! I'll take my penance by watching the Eastwood Stranger with no name series tonight!
Some progress. I started on the rudder and stabilizers. There is a "fancy" term for these parts, something like appenage/appenages but I kinda like rudder and stabilzer. I installed the after former, which caused me great anxiety. I really think that PModels worked well without them. They used to include the odd former or cross brace piece for the flying surfaces, but their fuselages have always been formerless, and I'm used to that. I firmly believe the 1-2 fit problems were caused by them. But I fit it in , loosely enough not to bulge but tight enough to give the part the cross section they were looking for... you know... the way they are supposed to work!
Rudder parts ready to form.
The next step was to build up the rudder. Here are the parts layed out. You have to build it up with the fuselage parts attached to the rudder,then they will be attached to the rest later.
Almost complete rudder.
Here is the rudder formed up with the fuselage pieces attached. They actually have you attach the rear edge later. They want you to build the stabilizers attach them to the lower fuselage parts, but not glued at the trailing edges, then they have a crossbrace rudder "former assembly" that has to be placed in then the trailing edges get glued together. A bit much so I'm once again courting a potential disaster by not explicetly following instructions. I look at them as sort of "guide lines", only to be followed when disaster strikes!
The next bit are the stabilizers. These are fairly standard construction, They have huge tabs that I removed and am relying on the techniques learned here from Gil and others about forming the tips,
Off to the rudder again. The stabs have been built but have to wait until the rudder is glued to the fuselage. Here it is fitted and glued to the rear fuselage.
The next piece is a clever rudder stabilizer forming piece. It keeps the stabs horizontal and the fin verticle and lined up with each other. Here it is built up and then installed into the fin.
Port stabilizer mounted. you have to mount it on the former and then its upper half is glued to the piece that hangs down from the rudder. I like these kits but man, I prefer the standard, build the fuselage then glue this stuff to 'em!
Both stabs on, next is to enclose them and complete the fuselage around these parts. It is a unique form of integrated building, but once again, do I long for a standard fuselage! Looking forward to the next project, something from Marek...
Some more work on the after section. I couldn't not finishe the aft fuselage, had to add the tail piece, and all the fairing sections.
And the fuselage up to date...
Another shot starboard...
And topside, last one for now, off to the floats....