PModel A6M2N Rufe Flaotplane

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Nov 21, 2006.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is a fascinating structure, indeed different than the normal cockpit/fuse/wing order. But it looks good and looks like it goes together well. I may have to give one of these PModels a shot someday!

Rick
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks Rick. Some of the construction goes against intuition but it works out in the end. I started on the fwd fuselage, the part that the engine mounts to. This also has 2 of the 7.7 machine guns. It again was a very complicated structure built up from a series of circles the semicircles and 3/4 round fuselage proper part. This section also contains one of the few formers, PModel uses in thier construction. I had to fit it up to the wings, and it does match very well. I dinged a few spots, with both glue and touch up. Most of the digs go underneath the engine cowling so I'm not doing this piece over! Interestingly they have you build the canopy next. This comes in about 10 pieces and I can't see a way to make it one piece so I can vacuform it. I'll put it to bed for now and tackle it on the next day off!

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Test fit of engine and mounting.

Had to try a test fit of the engine and cowling placed on the fwd fuselage. I'll have to wait until nearly the end before this gets mounted for good!

Attached Files:

4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ted.......... you mean you are NOT supposed to have them spots on your models...............shoot.......... I thought I was good, now you go and burst my bubble.:cry:

I have yet to build one with out them dang finger/glue smudges. One day..........maybe. One day.

Kinda reminds me of them ole plastic days, I finally build one that was PERFECT, I mean it. Revell B-26 Marauder 1/72 scale........ sweet. No glue smudges, no out of line cracks between the wings and fuselage, neat, really neat cockpit and nose glazing lines. Perfect decals not one out of alignment, everything was crisp like it was one of the first runs out of the mold............ got to look at it for maybe 30 minutes before I heard the crash.
    Family friend came over for a visit......... said he wanted to see it fly.

I cried. I have yet to find that exact model again. Karma..........must have been karma.
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I hear you John! Same stuff, lost mine to my younger brother. It was Revells Midway aircraft carrier. Spent weeks on it. He bombed the her with one of those Star Trek tracer guns, the ones that shot the little frisbee like things. The little punk! About the spots, this paper I'm using seems to draw the glue like a magnet. It's also very touchy getting the stuff off. I'm using Matte photopaper called Printworks, from Wally World. It prints every rivet and line but is sure touchy. I'm either going to have to use micro-sterile techniques while building, or just drop back to wausau 65lb. I like this stuff on the wings, it bends and forms leading edges very easily, and is fairly stiff. But even with a few sprays of Krylon it still is pretty fragile.
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ted,

Have you tried the CardStock from Wally. 110# stuff, but it works pretty good for me. I had to change the setting on my printer to Glossy Photo paper in order for the ink to quit bleeding, but other then that it is very forgiving on the glue prints.

And, I just found out recently that my sister used to go in my room and take the broom handle and "move" my WWI planes I had dogfighting from my ceiling........... now I understand why the ones that were being shot down always seemed to have more pieces coming off them then what they started with!

Must admit though it took 60 miles distance and 30 something years before she said anything. So she knew it was not a good thing.
  7. cbg

cbg Member

@Ted,

I'm gonna bookmark your thread for reference. . .Nice to have you be the PModel guinea pig! I bought this one a few weeks back in anticipation for my kartonbau diorama entry still in planning stages. I hope to turn this:

[​IMG]

into this:

[​IMG]

Re: your glazing problem: Looks like most of the canopy glass was flat, save for the overhead. Maybe you won't have to vacuform after all?

@John,
    You don't wanna know how many tears I shed over dropped, kicked, fallen, played-with models of the plastic variety (why was it that mom always found them "dusty" and thus had to "clean" the pieces off of them?).

Nice thread, Ted. . .keep up the exemplary work and let us know about all the pitfalls, real or imagined.

cbg
  8. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

hi all

long time i look for the wahit colors of the pmodels but never found a site to order it :(

some 1 can help me with that?
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

10. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

some one know if i can send tham a cash mony and not over cradit card?or paypal?
  11. DrBill

DrBill Member

If you've got PaintShop Pro X (I think) or XI (for sure), you can read and edit PDF files. PSP will break the original into one image per page, but that's fine. I read each file (page) at 600 dpi, do my editing and then print it off and save it in a low loss format (PNG, or low compression JPG). It would be hard to distinguish the printed output of the modified file from what you'd get with a straight printout of the original PDF.
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Small amount of progress. Started work on the cockpit today. The parts seem to be straight forward, alot of little box like panels, control stick and rudder pedals.

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Cockpit fitted to fwd fuselage

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Building the fuselage around the cockpit

Attached Files:

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

building the aft cockpit/radiao deck. this was a bit tricky. The few bulkhead formerss that PModel uses, don't quite fit exactly as I'd like. Alot of trimming had to be done to mount the radio deck along the fuselage sides then get around the bulkhead. By alot I mean @1mm but for a kit that was fitted perfectly it was a bit of a surprise.

Attached Files:

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The next section of fuselage. this section was by far the toughest to fit. I had @2mm trimming from the bottom where the fuselage meets the wing root trailing edge. Underneath on one side is @1mm gap that I'll cut a piece to fit later when this dries overnight.

Attached Files:

17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The fly in the ointment!

This was the biggest problem so far with the kit. As far as I can tell, I believe the ill fitting former may have had a small role in this. What I'll do is cut the trapezoidal panel out, place in some strip formers then make up a patch as shown to cover the gap. I think this will work but I need the thing to dry overnight.

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Onward with the after fuselage, the next section is fitting nicely. There is another former to be placed at the aft opening, but I'm alittle anxious about it seeing how the last one contributed to a huge gap.

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Fixing the ooowwwiiiieee!

The first step was to cut out the offending piece. Small connecting strips were then added around the panel cutout. The inset shows the replacement piece that will be cut and trimmed to the panel cutout.

Attached Files:

20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Another disaster averted.

The final piece. I rushed it a bit but I'm ok with it. Various thoughts of trashing the stuff then starting over flashed thru my head, but this is a happy alternative! One biggy averted, think I'll quit while ahead for tonight!

Attached Files: