PMI Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'Brick & Mortar Finds' started by Teamds, Mar 30, 2007.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Jim misspoke, it is H&B Precision Models, Peter's Banner is on the front page
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Jim misspoke, it is H&B Precision Models, Peter's Banner is on the front page
  3. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

i ordered once from PMI many (many) years ago. i got what i expected and a few nice little extras. IIRC, some of the older (OOP?) maly kits were of dubious quality to begin with (or so i've heard). however, if you think that you should have been warned about the circumstances involved, contact them and i'll wager they will do what they can to leave you satisfied.....
  4. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

i ordered once from PMI many (many) years ago. i got what i expected and a few nice little extras. IIRC, some of the older (OOP?) maly kits were of dubious quality to begin with (or so i've heard). however, if you think that you should have been warned about the circumstances involved, contact them and i'll wager they will do what they can to leave you satisfied.....
  5. gwssms

gwssms Member

I have always received exactly what I ordered from PMI. In fact, I just got as couple of kits in the mail today! :)
  6. gwssms

gwssms Member

I have always received exactly what I ordered from PMI. In fact, I just got as couple of kits in the mail today! :)
  7. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Have dealt with PMI/Lou since 1988. I am sure all it would take is an e-mail or phone call ot letter voicing your concerns to him and he would attempt to satisfy you. He and Paper Model Store are my two favorite U.S. sources of printed models. They are both tops in quality and customer service (when given a chance...)
  8. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Have dealt with PMI/Lou since 1988. I am sure all it would take is an e-mail or phone call ot letter voicing your concerns to him and he would attempt to satisfy you. He and Paper Model Store are my two favorite U.S. sources of printed models. They are both tops in quality and customer service (when given a chance...)
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Hi Rick.

That banner is only a mailto link. Does he have a web page? How do you know what he stocks?

Thanks!
    Rick

10. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Hi Rick.

That banner is only a mailto link. Does he have a web page? How do you know what he stocks?

Thanks!
    Rick

11. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Ask Peter, he will be able to send you an excel price list of all the models, or if you want, he will send you his catalog

Rick
  12. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Ask Peter, he will be able to send you an excel price list of all the models, or if you want, he will send you his catalog

Rick
  13. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Teamds

I sent note to Lou referencing your post and your unsatisfactory experience with your purchase.

Lou responded with the following:

“The guy complaining is pretty much right and has a good point. Something I didn't consider and which I think I can do something about. That is citing in advance which models are reprints. I can't do that in our print catalog, because over time various models go out of print and then I get busy reprinting them. (and dropping the reprints if they go back into print).But I will put up an illustrated list of the current JSC reprints on the "Reprints" page, and change it as things change. We put out a supplemental JSC catalog meaning we have all their models (except some architecture), and with the reprinting we really can carry all of them. More than are available from JSC themselves. I think it's a good solution to the infamous Polish practice of not keeping everything available. We have had for some time now an MDC list of reprints and it has worked well. I just didn't think of it for JSC. I'm not sure people will easily find these lists, but I don't know what else to do. We are putting slips in all the reprints explaining what we are doing and why.
    I do take exception to the complainer saying that these are poor quality reprints. I put a lot of effort into making them right. I've tested the paper we use (mostly Vellum Bristol) and it works very well. This big color laser printer does an excellent job. So far I haven't been able to get the right paper in the right size to print double pages (the printer will print them) so I could make books like the originals. But I think the loose sheets, in a plastic bag, are fine.”

In the end you are correct that PMI should forewarn the customer that these are reprints and not printed by the original publisher. On the other hand PMI is keeping models available when the original publisher has run out of copies and in some cases never prints the model again.

If nothing else you have alerted Lou that it needs to be clearly stated that the models are reprints so that this won’t happen to someone else.

Jim Nunn
  14. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Teamds

I sent note to Lou referencing your post and your unsatisfactory experience with your purchase.

Lou responded with the following:

“The guy complaining is pretty much right and has a good point. Something I didn't consider and which I think I can do something about. That is citing in advance which models are reprints. I can't do that in our print catalog, because over time various models go out of print and then I get busy reprinting them. (and dropping the reprints if they go back into print).But I will put up an illustrated list of the current JSC reprints on the "Reprints" page, and change it as things change. We put out a supplemental JSC catalog meaning we have all their models (except some architecture), and with the reprinting we really can carry all of them. More than are available from JSC themselves. I think it's a good solution to the infamous Polish practice of not keeping everything available. We have had for some time now an MDC list of reprints and it has worked well. I just didn't think of it for JSC. I'm not sure people will easily find these lists, but I don't know what else to do. We are putting slips in all the reprints explaining what we are doing and why.
    I do take exception to the complainer saying that these are poor quality reprints. I put a lot of effort into making them right. I've tested the paper we use (mostly Vellum Bristol) and it works very well. This big color laser printer does an excellent job. So far I haven't been able to get the right paper in the right size to print double pages (the printer will print them) so I could make books like the originals. But I think the loose sheets, in a plastic bag, are fine.”

In the end you are correct that PMI should forewarn the customer that these are reprints and not printed by the original publisher. On the other hand PMI is keeping models available when the original publisher has run out of copies and in some cases never prints the model again.

If nothing else you have alerted Lou that it needs to be clearly stated that the models are reprints so that this won’t happen to someone else.

Jim Nunn
  15. hawkstrikes

hawkstrikes New Member

Have been a customer and friend of lou and pmi for over five years i always got super service and co-operation from them hawkstrikes
  16. Teamds

Teamds Member

Update

Didn't follow up to resolve the issue.....just wanted to sweep it under the rug. Belated (almost a year and a half later) thanks to the members who rapidly mustered to my assistance. About 2 months ago I couldn't help but place another order (falls under, "I have to buy another model that I probably won't build or end up butchering"). Lou let me know that it was out of stock but was on order and wanted to know if I still wanted the model or cancel. I replied "let's move forward and send it when you get it". Not to long later, Lou notified me that the model is in and is on the way. Received the model and thanked Lou for the service. I would and will purchase from Lou again.
  17. RINGMASTER

RINGMASTER Member

I spoke with Lou Friday. He told me the reason PMI is closing is that sales a growing faster than he can keep up with. The company is still for sale as a going concern if anybody is interested.