Please read

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by mapuc, Mar 19, 2008.

1. mapuc

mapuc Member

Hi all.
    Before I begin, I will make an excuse for my bad gramma and if this thread is in the wrong place, pls move it to the right area

The headlines:

In the beginning I thought that those papermodels looked great, so I downloaded some small free models to build. I build some of them and got a taste for it. I then ordered the Queen Mary II from JSC

And guess what..I have never started building it! I found out that this papermodel construct was not me at all

So who ever wants it*, can have my unbuild** papermodel of Queen Mary II

I do have some wishes

The one who gets the model*** shall post photo of his/her development of the progressing of building the model

Only the english instruction is there.

*I pay for the Posting and packing

** always read the instruction first! I didn't so I cut out three part wich I thought was the hull(they are undamaged.)

*** If more than one person wants this model. I think the moderator shall make a draw(lottery)

If this winner doesn't want to build it he/she can give it to the next in line.

So give me your address( if you are the only one that wants it or you are the winner)

Best Regards

Markus
  2. metoo

metoo Member

Markus
    I would love to have this ship. I have been wanting to build a ship. I hope it would not be too hard for me. I will send you my snail mail if I am the only one. I am pretty sure there are quite a few that would like this.
    Thank you for your generousity,
    Kathie
  3. mapuc

mapuc Member

Pls be advised, that this ship is for advanced builder. but if you want it and no other comes forward, it's yours

Markus
  4. metoo

metoo Member

Markus,
    I am just a beginner but taking on a project that is for advanced builders doesn't worry me at all. I would find it a great challenge. I have found there is not much I can't do if I put my mind to it.
    Kathie
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I'd love to see photos posted on this one ^O^
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That is a tough ship to build. metoo - thats great that you want to tackle it! i would strongly urge you to build at least one full hull ship first though. Find a freebie of course. Hulls are seriously HARD! Maybe even just build a couple hulls from freebies. A little practice beforehand will do wonders for your build - this is especially important if you plan on building right from the kit. maybe scan the hull pages and build that as a test run or something at least.

I just say this cause I have tried and failed on multiple ships - I can never get past the hull with decent results.
    Chris
  7. metoo

metoo Member

Chris,
    That is very good advice of which I am going to heed. I would of thought the hull would be the easier part. That is what comes from being a beginner.
    Thanks,
    Kathie
  8. mapuc

mapuc Member

Some more information

If 0 star= new beginner, then this model is a 5 star(max)

I will let this thread be open until tuesday 1th of April

Best Regards
    Markus
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Wellll i dont know about that ;)

But yeah the hulls are hard because the darn sheets are so big there isnt much room for error. plus if your first is off it gets compounded as you go along....
    Chris
  10. metoo

metoo Member

Markus,
    Good idea to keep this thread open for awhile.
    I am surprised no one else has responded to your offer. I looked this model up on the internet and found some nice pics with closeups and it is a wonderful model. Whether I get this one or not I will be building it.
    I know you all seem to think it would be too much for a beginner but..... hey it will just take me longer. I already have people in this scale I could put on it. Of course I have to paint them and that really makes me nervous.

Chris,
    That makes since about the hull, Just have to be extra careful.

Kathie
  11. David H

David H Member

Hulls are a challenge, go slow, be very methodical, check things are square, use lots of additional reinforcement. I advise cheating and using some sort of foam to get the shape of the bows and the turn of the bilges and stern just right (a lot of foam on a big hull!).

I am sure you have searched the forum and seen that there are lots of hints, tips and "wrinkles".

Digital Navy's V108 is a good free hull to start on. Very fine lines and a very well designed kit

D
  12. metoo

metoo Member

Markus,
    I received the model today. It is wonderful! There are a lot of pieces but no really tiny ones. It will definately be a long term project for me. After I practice on a few freebie ships I will start this one.
    Thank you again for your generousity,
    Kathie
    my website: Kathie's Minis
  13. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Took a look at your website today Kathie and, Wow! Your talent is evident in every picture. I particularly liked your roomboxes, especially the Christmas one. Are you going to write your Tutorials for that one soon? Please keep us posted on your progress with the ships. We have some amazing ship builders here with a wealth of talent and experience that you can call on for help and advice - Barry, FlutheCrank, Joseph Fuchs, elbwarrior - I'm sure I 've left someone out but not intentionally. Oh, we like pictures! Welcome!!
  14. mapuc

mapuc Member

I'm glad to hear that. I hope you will have lots of joy, building this great ship.

Most important of all take your time.

Regards Markus
  15. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

metoo,
    After drooling over your website I have no doubt that you won't do a first rate job on this as well! Just keep us posted with lots of pics.

Kevin
  16. metoo

metoo Member

Markus,
    I am sure I will enjoy this a lot. Like I said this will be a long term project, so I will definately be taking my time. When I do get started I will start a build thread about it.

Elliot & Kevin,
    Thank you for taking a look at my website and the kind comments about my work. I have been real lazy about updating it. Now I have to find some time to see how to do it without having to start all over again since my computer crashed a couple of weeks ago. I think it will wait until I get done building the eagles that I am doing (I have a build thread for these in this forum) before I even attempt it.

Thanks again,
    Kathie
    Kathie's Minis