please help! pepakura chopped up my craft!

b0xman

ok, drama aside, i've been struggling with this project for about 2 solid weeks now and i'm ready to give up.

but before i do i figure i'd present my problem to those who know this much better then I, and may be able to solve it.

PART 1

i have attached three pics. Part 1 is of my model. I am a comic book writer, and have NO experience with any of this, having said this, pretty cool model, no?

it's of the character in my current series. anyways, this is the model i want to make as a paper craft, for use at conventions or for my fans to make.

PART 2

part 2 is of pepakura after i have opened the .skp file. everything looks good to me! what could possibly go wrong? ill just hit the 'unfold' button.

PART 3

BAM! what the hell? i thought i was making a papercraft not a 3d jigsaw. that is HORRIBLE!

what do i do? what can i do? i really want to have this figured out already!

please help! wall1

ok, drama aside, i've been struggling with this project for about 2 solid weeks now and i'm ready to give up.

but before i do i figure i'd present my problem to those who know this much better then I, and may be able to solve it.

part1.jpg

i have attached three pics. Part 1 is of my model. I am a comic book writer, and have NO experience with any of this, having said this, pretty cool model, no?

it's of the character in my current series. anyways, this is the model i want to make as a paper craft, for use at conventions or for my fans to make.

part2.jpg

part 2 is of pepakura after i have opened the .skp file. everything looks good to me! what could possibly go wrong? ill just hit the 'unfold' button.

part3.jpg

BAM! what the hell? i thought i was making a papercraft not a 3d jigsaw. that is HORRIBLE!

please help! wall1

im sorry, for some reason this thread has been posted twice. today is definitely not my day.

I'm new here but I also got a question about using Pepakura from Google Sketchup. I'm trying to convert this model http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=c778a6ac6cf0c81d4904d89e9169817b to a papercraft but have been having some problems. I've been converting them to .kmz and .obj but the latest version of Pepakura, which I'm using, keeps crashing. Now I know the image is high polygon so is there any way I can reduce this number?

I'm also trying to convert this model too http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=dd08eeead4fb3a75e80540ad96fe9eef&prevstart=0 and Pepakura can unfold it but it comes out really weird and abstract with way too many parts- is there any way to fix this? Also is there anyway to preserve the texture/detailing for Pepakura?

Anyway, as a newb I apologize for asking so many questions but I would really appreciate any help.

im having this same problem. you can see in this thread what is happening to a fairly simple model... it's really frustrating...

part1.jpg

part2.jpg

part3.jpg

please help!

If you right click the mouse it will give you a menu there you will find the tool to join up the parts you want too.

that doesnt work, it doesn't recognize the edges as being close together so they wont connet up.

also this would take freaking forever, so not the best solution.

Attachments

• part 1.JPG
    part 1.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 12
  • part 2.jpg
    part 2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 20
  • part 3.jpg
    part 3.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 23

mtfbwu97

hmmmm..... sorry i can't help you much..... but i can suggest.

try to go online and find some video tutorials.... they help me =]

zwave343

the human lazor
trust me

i only have the pepakura viewer, but i know there must be a way. have tried contacting tamaware (the people who made pepakura). apart from that i dont know of any other ways. i look for you.:cool:

PaperAir

If you right click the mouse it will give you a menu there you will find the tool to join up the parts you want too.

zwave343

the human lazor
3d

have you tried making this model in another programk that makes 3d models then uploading into pepakura designer? that is waht this program was made for

JT Fox

If the join edges doesn't work it means your original model is made up of independent parts. You need to join them in the 3D before you use PEP3. In Meta you would use the "join closed vertices" command. Hope this helps. Cheers JTF