Please comment on new pics and vid...

Hi all,

Only one train forum that I have found replies quicker than this one.

I'm back teaching music as school has started up and I'm sitting around waiting for students. Perhaps you'd care to look at some pics of mine;

auy.jpg

wetscenery.jpg

tycounretouched.jpg

sand.jpg

switcher.jpg

Or even this video which shows the use of Kadee delay uncouplers...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1378894974668497607&hl=en

THANKS!

jesso

Nice video, cool to be able to uncouple. Someday will have to get consistent couplers so that I can do that. I really like your drainage area, the grate and stairs are nice touches. I love how it looks muddy. How did you do that? You have done some great weathering jobs. What size do you use for ballast?

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
very nice pics,and equally nice engines! that B&O SW-12? looks pretty cool.and the weathering on that gondola is sweet!--josh

Scott and all,

Thanks for the kind words! Scott, the mud looks like mud because it IS mud. Stucco patch tinted grey and just applied, still wet. I use WS fine grey ballast.

Some viewers of this scene thought the colors were too vivid, esp. the blue water. There is not a drop of blue paint on that layout or in that scene! A little sunlight comes in through the basement window and I think the natural light makes it look blue. I really liked it so I cranked up the color saturation in Pphotofiltre.... although I do not have the original, here it is with less color, more like the original pic.

wetscenery1.jpg

Kyle

UP SD40-2

Kyle:wav: , WOW!!!:eeki: GREAT PICS!:thumb: & SLAP AWESOME WORK!:thumb::thumb:
very well done:winki::mrgreen: .
:deano: -Deano

It's an ex western and winchester 4 bay hopper. It's the THIRD one that the Detroit and mackinac road obtained from WW

good question

hooknlad

The video looks awesome !!! I loved what you did with the uncouplers. I need to do some research into these neet lil things? W/o me digging deep into it, how much do the couplers cost per unit and would I need to replace an entire track, or can I just install the electromagnet into an existing track? Im slowly automating my layout. I recently purchased the "Train Brain" by CTI electronics.For those of you unfamiliar with the " Train Brain", it is a method to marry a layout with a computer to make it hands free. I hope to one day be able to have my layout on the internet, with fellow "GAUGERS" operating it. I cant wait until it is up and operational. With the uncouplers Im sure the realism will never end. With automation takes $$$. So hopefully soon we will be up and running. Hope to see you all soon, operating the layout !!!

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Im slowly automating my layout. I recently purchased the "Train Brain" by CTI electronics.For those of you unfamiliar with the " Train Brain", it is a method to marry a layout with a computer to make it hands free. I hope to one day be able to have my layout on the internet, with fellow "GAUGERS" operating it. I cant wait until it is up and operational. With the uncouplers Im sure the realism will never end. With automation takes $$$. So hopefully soon we will be up and running. Hope to see you all soon, operating the layout !!!

that would be so AWESOME!!!!!! man,being able to operate a real layout 100's of miles away would be sweet! the only bad part is if a loco or car derails....hmm,maybe its time for a working MOW train!!! :mrgreen:.very cool hooknlad!--josh

I loved what you did with the uncouplers. I need to do some research into these neet lil things? W/o me digging deep into it, how much do the couplers cost per unit and would I need to replace an entire track, or can I just install the electromagnet into an existing track?

First Michael, I got about 300 yards of copper wire and coiled it around a ten foot length of 2" black pipe, laying this parallel to the track....

sign1:p:twisted:sign1

But seriously, look into Kadee #5 couplers... Seems like they come in a 4 pack for 3 bucks, or a fifty pack for like 20. It's been a long time since I've bought any. A Kadee couple jig (template) is a MUST, about 5 bucks... it will help you get the coupler to the exact height needed so that the glad hand skims the magnet ramp. You'll need some thin Kadee washers, get the red ones and the thinner grey ones. Those will probably be needed to get the height right and they go between the truck and the bolster. The magnets come in two packs, also about 5 or 6 bucks, and I use the delay type. You can see the little bar in the video, It lays right on the ties (a little off center) and should be glued down with some silicon glue. Delay means that you can spot your rolling stock further down the line, like how I did with the gondola in the vid.

PM me, I can help more tomorrow. There should be quite a bit on them if you Google "Kadee Delay"

There are no electronics envolved... Just a little practice with your craft and about twenty bucks should get a loco and a few cars modernized.

Soon we can throw away the skewers if desired.

It's an ex western and winchester 4 bay hopper. It's the THIRD one that the Detroit and mackinac road obtained from WW

good question

Actually, I guess it's Winchester & Western...

The giant letters are the "stick on" type and barely pass the three foot rule. But I like um!

4bay.jpg

CHEERS!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
WOW AWESOME work Kyle!!!!

That gondola looks OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

And I love that scence with the pipe coming out of the ground, it looks very cool and realistic, like the stuff I have seen around here :thumb: :thumb: and pretty much anywhere you go

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Fantastic pictures Kyle! I really like that P&LE boxcar, the scene with the drain pipe covered by fencing, your good looking structures and the detailed photo of that switcher.

As for the press on letters I've used them to create letters by spraying an undercoat on the car, then applying the stick-on letters, and then spraying a contrasting color. Remove the stick-ons and the letters remain.
Ralph

nwdyr

What happens to these threads? they just end.... too bad the pic's here were great! I wish there was more!!!

nwdyr

That's what I am talkin about!!!! REALLY nice thanks. Now I want to know how you "weather" those cars, the Continental car is my fav!