Play-Doh's Scratchbuild Challenge

Discussion in 'Competitions & Challenges' started by Play-Doh, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Play-Doh

Play-Doh Member

Allright folks...im a little late getting this official thread started...but I was a day into this project when I made a fatal cut that cost me the whole project...so I had to start again. But enough with the excuses....lets get to the scratchbuilding.

The place im going to model is called "Bucks Stove Palace" which is a really neat lookin building I found here in Portland OR. The structure itself interested me, with its large store front, awning, and roof lines. As well as the sheer size of the building.

Here are a few pics of the building.

[​IMG]
    Front of building

[​IMG]
    Side of the building

[​IMG]
    One more.

So I began with the front entryway...and cut it as one single piece.
    [​IMG]

The I modified a couple of Grandt Line doors to match the doors on the building. I then combined them with the window panes I made from scale lumber. Finally...after some painting, I added them to my front piece.

[​IMG]

I used right angle pieces for the molding of the building.

Finally I cut the other three pieces of the primary structure and fastened them together making sure to include roof lines.

[​IMG]

And now begins my tedious "Masking tape shingles" technique. Its tedious,....but I love the results.

[​IMG]

Thats about all ive accomplished today....its lookin ruff now...but the end product should be great!
  2. Chad

Chad Member

That kicks butt so far! I cannot wait to see how you do the shingles, I want to make my own too. Does the Miracle Mat come in handy?
  3. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

WOW this Competition gets better every day!
  4. Play-Doh

Play-Doh Member

The Miracle Mat is a lifesaver...its one of the best things I ever bought for my scratchbuilding.

More to come tonight...hopefully. I just found out I mis-cut the roof! Whoops! sign1
  5. Wabash Banks

Wabash Banks Member

6. Play-Doh

Play-Doh Member

Allright...a quck update.

Finally got the roof in place.....the color scheme for the shingles isnt wokin quite yet...but thats an easy fix.

[​IMG]

After the shingled roof was in place I moved on to the flat portion of the roof. Not being able to see it, im assuming it is a tar roof. I first cut a piece of cardstock to fit, then cut a piece of sandpaper to the same size, and painted it a flat black.

[​IMG]

After attatching the flat portion of the roof

[​IMG]

I went to work on the awning piece. I built it out of cardstock, and then went about shingling it in the same fashion as with my roof.

[​IMG]

Here it is attatched to the structure

[​IMG]

And finally I cut matchsticks (painted to match the building) as the supports for the awning and glued them in place after adding the the "crocrete" to the entryway.

[​IMG]

Finally, (although this picture does not show it well) I applied a sheet of clear plastic on the inside to simulate the glass.

[​IMG]

More to come soon!
  7. pfs

pfs Member

Excellent work!
  8. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Looks like you're getting EVEN BETTER with every new structure!!! I love the roofing technique! :thumb: I'm most impressed at your storefront, and how fast everything's coming together. :)
  9. Play-Doh

Play-Doh Member

Making progress....heck, im almost done!

I found a little time this last weekend so I built the rear structure. The miscut roof from the main building came in handy and fit this piece like a glove. I then trimmed out the whole building with 3/32" styrene angle pieces.

[​IMG]

And my wagon wheels came in yesterday! So after a paint job I added them to the store front. I also recreated the signs in the front to match the photo and printed them out on painted cardstock. I will not be duplicating the neon sign for obvious era related reasons. Before I added these, I built up the concrete/brick entryway using taskboard and styrene brick.

[​IMG]

Looks pretty close the original!

[​IMG]
    Comming soon, roof details and touch up work!
  10. Go Big1

Go Big1 Member

:thumb: Wow. Great work! I'm really impressed with how close it looks to the real structure.
  11. beamish

beamish HO & Steam Engineer

This looks great good job. I am very impressed with how close these two are.
  12. Play-Doh

Play-Doh Member

Ill have some updates real soon. My roof details have been ordered from modelrailstructures.com
  13. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

more and more people on here amaze me with there modeling skills,great modeling play-doh,i could never recreate that!--josh
  14. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WOW, that looks REALLY cool!!!
  15. Play-Doh

Play-Doh Member

My deatail parts came today! So we should have some updates here tommorow!