Plastic railer

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
A green plastic "railer" came with my new 2-6-6-2 and it works like magic. Maybe some of you have known about these all along, but this is the first one Iv'e seen. I don't remember seeing these for sale separately anywhere. Can any of you give me a source for these, I want at least two or three of them and I just can't afford three 2-6-6-2's. Thanks----------John

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
If you're talking about the one that you set on down and roll the car onto the track, I think Atlas or someone else in the Walthers catalog has one.

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Squidbait----there is no name on it anywhere, just the number 109. It's a little over eight and a half inches long and about an inch and three quarters across at the widest part. Iv'e tried it with other engines and assorted freight cars and it works perfectly every time.
There is a couple others in the Walthers catalog, and they may work as well, but they don't look the same. Where can you get one of the Rix "railers"? The closest LHS to me is like 80 miles away. John

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
That Rix-rail looks like it would work as well, looks almost the same. I'll have to check with the hobby store in Breman and see if he can get them. Thanks guys, for the info---

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
Heh...I have one of the Rix ones, mine's red. I find it only useful for my 4-8-8-4, but that's because I'm a bit lazy in that regard. I enjoy placing the cars on the tracks by hand unless I'm in a hurry.

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Spawn---Noticed you live in Seattle, I lived on Vashon island for four years and loved every minute of it. What part of Seattle do you live in?
I like how easy it is to put the 2-6-6-2 on the track with the railer, but it also helps with the 4-8-4 and the 10 wheeler. You are right though, the cars themselves are pretty easy without it.
My temporary layout is in the workroom,[ used to be the original garage ], not insulated nor heated, and not where i'd leave any of my engines. So since I have to carry the engines back and forth, the railer helps.
Possibly when I get back down to Indianapolis, I can check on a hobby shop or two and find one------John

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The Rix Rail-it is probably the common one. I bought a pair by Model Power many years ago (I think they cost about a quarter so...). I have a nice metal one by Marklin, and Hornby Dublo made one up until about 1962.