Plastic Manufacturing

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by inflammable, Jul 10, 2009.

1. inflammable

inflammable New Member

This place was closed, when I found it. Not closed for the weekend, but CLOSED. The weeds were high, litter was blown about, generally had that uninhabited feeling to it.
    [​IMG]

This is the unloading area. There were two cars just left here. I guess their owner forgot about them, and CSX wasn't going to pull them for the fun of it. There may be room for a third car, I don't think the near one was against the bumper.

[​IMG]

If I had to guess, I'd say those connections were every ten feet. Two separate pipes, for double the unloading goodness.

[​IMG]

These are the intermediate connections.

[​IMG]

And the end connections. With this being a vacuum powered system, I'd guess that the hoses would be metal, non collapsible, flexible hoses.

[​IMG]

A vacuum on/off station. Also notice to the right that between the rails is also paved. Probably easier to clean up any spills that way.

[​IMG]

And the storage silos. The pipes did go underground, under the driveway.

The rest of the building was an average warehouse/manufacturing plant. To the far right of the silos were maybe 5 doors for truck loading. Employee parking was to the left, in front of the building, and also along the fence, facing the loading dock area.

Looking at this site on Google Maps, the entire property is 600'x1000', with the long side also the railroad side. It was in an industrial park, so the mainline wasn't nearby. The building seemed to be 425'x330' of office and manufacturing space, with an additional 175'x330' of warehouse and loading dock.

James

Attached Files:

2. inflammable

inflammable New Member

This is a different location, but still similar.

[​IMG]

The silos, and the electrical substation. Similar to what one fellow built for his model, and is posted in this same forum. There is a loading dock of sorts on this side, to the left, but there isn't room for tractor trailers. The warehouse, with a large parking lot, is on the far end of the plant.

[​IMG]

Notice the bumper, (some places have wheelstops, or even mounded dirt/gravel), the safety wire above the cars, even the well manicured lawn would make your model more interesting.

[​IMG]

Look at the number of vacuum system connections. I counted ten pairs, with the last two pair far enough back for a third car.

I don't know how often this plant is switched, especially with sales of their plastic picnicware being down, but they do get switched, vice most of the other sidings on this shortline are stuffed with stored cars. If I had to guess, probably three switches, of two cars each, a week, would mean this plant is pretty busy.

Just a little more information for you.

James

Attached Files:

3. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Nice pics. Perhaps we could get the location of both plants. You may be able to track down what they did? Loads in and out and so on. A small company perhaps ships out by truck though. Undoubtedly getting plastic in pellet form.

Another good lineside industry that doesn't take up to much space is an LPG plant or Chemical Fertilizer Business.

Thanks for sharing your pics.
  4. inflammable

inflammable New Member

Hi Ronson. The first location is in Newnan, GA, though I didn't get the name of what used to be there. The second location is in Monroe, GA, and is a Silgan Plastics plant. At one point I decided that they made food grade plastics there, though I can't find that information again, at this time.

But I liked that they were small locations, and could be modeled without too much trouble.

There weren't too many rail served propane distributors anymore, from what I saw in my travels. Many of them had rail service at one time, but probably the class 1 railroads over priced their single car deliveries.

James
  5. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

I'm modeling the 1980's so it's not too too bad. By food grade plastic you mean plastic used for food containers. Plastics destined for store shelves with food stuffs already in them or plastics that would be bought to store food stuffs at home?

Trains are now more of Terminal to Terminal thing. Having met the enemy Trucks and have been beaten by them to a degree. Large bulk shipments are still handled by trains but unfortunately trucks take most of the short haul traffic. You notice you don't see to much TOFC anymore it's mostly Cans (Container cars) or bulk containers. I loved the roadrailers too but they aren't as frequent anymore either.

That's why I model the 80's a time when roads had it together and life was good for short haul traffic although waining even then.

Thanks again for the info.
  6. inflammable

inflammable New Member