Plastic/Foam Roadbed Installation Question

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Hi guys...maybe one of you have used this product and already know the secrets...I bought the Woodland Scenics Foam Roadbed material for Nscale and have glued the straight-aways with no problem. My question is how do you handle the curves? It seems this stuff really doesn't want to bend well so do you score it on the inside of the radius? Cut some material from the inside radius then bend it? Or simply pin it in place and glue it down despite the materials desire to straighten itself out? Any thoughts would help on this one...since I have no experience with cork roadbed either, maybe some of the same tricks to laying the cork in a 9.75 radius curve would apply to this product. Thanks!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I've never used the product you are referring to but I have used cork extensively. With cork, as you said, simply pin it in place as you are gluing it down. The more often you pin it, the less likely it will try to raise up and straighten out. I've also curved cork as tight as 6.5"radius. It argues a little bit, but in the end, resistance is futile.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Thanks guys (I shoulda asked this question before gluing some in place. I didn't even think about staggering the two sections - that would have been a good idea.) I actually have to keep a division between the two large sections of foam board. The total length is about 16 feet and I seperated the two boards in roughly eight foot lengths so I could work on them and move them around if needed. So it's sort of like building two independent layouts that will be joined together...and I haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to do that and cover the joint....