Plaster hill

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
today I put a hill in one corner of the layout using the plaster cloth. I am pretty happy with the way that it turned out. But I am wondering if anybody had instructions for mixing their own using paper towels.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi...Paper towels work just as well, and are a sight cheaper. You'll need regular plaster and heavy duty paper towels (the brown type)....You can find both at the local hardware store. Check the plaster's mixing instructions..Normally it's two parts plaster to one part water. For dipping towels I use just a bit more plaster than water-a nice soupy mix. Cut the paper towels in half (easier to handle)and dip them in the plaster mixture, let the excess run off and place over whatever you've used for landforms. Don't try to do a lot at one time...slow and steady is better. After the plaster has dried you should apply at least one more (2 is better) hands of plaster.

Here's some pics of a "mountain range" I'm working on. It's all paper towels w/plaster over a cardboard strip/masking tape framework.

Good luck..!!

Attachments

• DSCF0293.JPG
    DSCF0293.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF0295.JPG
    DSCF0295.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF0296.JPG
    DSCF0296.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 12

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Thanks Clark...I had to do the ones in the background twice...My first try turned out to be not what I expected, and then they were altogether too red. The ones in the foreground are getting their first wash of paint right now. Hopefully I'll finish them this weekend and get to work on the yard below (The area covered by newspapers in the pictures..).