plans to solve problem of 6 wheel loco that is derailing

stanC

Mar 22, 2007
Jim thanks for the reply. Indeed I received excellent replies ( which I have found is always the the case with this forum) If you check them they were very varied in the reponses and as you wrote "utilization of those replys is up to you"
I think you misunderstood the real theme of my reply which was try for yourself. Its the best way to learn and the only people who have never made mistakes are the ones who never tried.
I am afraid that I do not agree with the rule number 2 If it ain't broke, don't fix it."[/quote] as I think that will end up by staying where you are with no progress ever being made.
The third and I think most importent point is that I enjoyed messing around with the motor and that is after all what we are all in it for.
Thanks for your time and trouble for all the e mails. We may disagree but it is always interesting the read yours and all the other comments
Best wishes
Stan

Stan: Lets go back and look at your original post and some of the very well thought out responses. You asked for help with a problem of a six axle locomotive derailing on curves. (1) The manufacturer lists an acceptable minimum radius for their equipment. Removing wheels, as you found out is not a great idea. Somebody in past history had already tried that I'm sure. The method of removing said wheels was not all that great. Cutting the plastic axle. The manufacturer undoubtedly provided a method for disassembling the truck to remove the axle. As the basic rule here on the gauge states, " Its your railroad". You did ask for assistance. You got several good replys. The utilization of those replys is up to you. Rule number two. If it ain't broke, don't fix it."