planning possible expansion

L

lester perry

I am considering an expansion of my layout which would mean adding onto my building. I have some MRR friends who are encouraging me and offering to help with it. I need some opinions about the building dimensions. I was originaly going to add a 16 x 24 room but got to thinking and was wondering if a 8 x 48 might be more interesting. both have 384 square feet but having a 48 foot long run sounds good. Then do a u turn at the end and return 48 feet down the other wall. put in a helix and do it again puting towns, yards, and what ever along the way. OK now think about it and tell me your thoughts. Or better Ideas. this is wide open
Les

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Les i think the 48' run sounds AWESOME, this is making me jealous lol, i wish i could have a 48' run :thumb: :mrgreen:

the idea of the helix would be cool too so you could have 2 or maybe even 3 levels, 2 main levels and possibly a smaller stagging level as well :thumb:

How were you going to do your benchwork? Shelfs? tables? how far from the walls would they extend out for modeling and layout building room? 18", 24"??? Something to consider

My shelfs are 18" on 15" heavy duty shelf brackets. Its plenty stong enough with the 3" overhang, but the brakets need to be spaced about every stud (16" or so) to make sure sagging doesnt occur. also make sure to use thicker ply like 5/8" or 3/4" if your going to do the shelf brackets idea to help also eliminate sagging. Another idea is to run a 2x2 piece of lumber along the front of the shelfs to further prevent sagging....

48' run sounds like a winner and there is alot more running room as to the 16x24', although both are good sized spaces :thumb:

L

lester perry

josh
it would be shelf frame with road bed cut and attached to risers about 3 inches above frame so that scenery can go above and below track level. like this

this is how my whole layout is built. by doing it this way you can do things like this easily.

I am realy leaning towards 48 x 8. Now to do some drawing.
Les

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Les, I vote for the 8 x 48 also. I am finding that planning for a squarish area ( like 16 x 24 ) is lots harder and you usually end up with some wasted area.

Loren

L

lester perry

This is still in the possible/ dreaming stage. If not for my health issues it would be a definite go. And I would be buying material this weekend. So things being what they are I will keep dreaming / thinking and start planning & drawing so that if and when I decide I can I will be ready to go so I can hit the ground running. I still am open to other floor plans with same approximate footage. ground space is no problem my back yard is 4 acres give or take a little.
Les

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Lester: instead of helixes, why not put one whole side on a grade? (Some call this the No-lix) You could have the gentlest of grades for 48 feet -- 2% would give you about 11.5" climb. Push it a bit and you could have a flat area for a station or yard. Put the grade all the way around and you get twice the separation or half the grade.

2sk21

Sep 16, 2008
One thing to consider is the impact on the resale value of your house. A long thin extension is just about ideal for model railroading but useless for just about everything else. Maybe an indoor bowling alley or a skeet shooting range :)

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I'd vote for 16x48, it's like hot rodders talking about power, if bigger is better, too much is just about right!

Kidding aside, at least 13 x 48 would make sense for resale value. A long room that wide would allow for room for a hallway along one side and space to put in 4 10x12 foot rooms or a combination of larger rooms for extra bedrooms, game rooms, etc.

L

lester perry

I need to clarify something here. My railroad is in a modified pony barn in my back yard. It is already useless as anything but what it is being used for. so basically I am talking about a 48 foot long shed added to a block and wood out building. Also I doubt if I ever sell as of now I am planning on laying my head down to sleep here and never waking up some day.

This is the train barn as of now. On the left corner there is a shadow. That is where it would come off from.

This is inside where it would be. Also if I do stay with the 16x24 this is where the connection would be. I am not sure yet what I am going to do. So keep giving me the pros and cons.
Les

sgtcarl

Jan 11, 2008
in Appalachian Mtns of S.W. Virginia
size IS important!

Lester:
Awesome layout, dude. Lookin' really good! I like the way it is illuminated! If I were you, (and I'm not,) I'd just use all of the space I had available. I plan to allow my self as much room for expansion as possible. My bldg is 12' x 24'. And I don't plan to sell, either, but I don't plan on dying in my sleep, either. I'm waiting for Jesus to come and get me!!

L

lester perry

Lester:
Awesome layout, dude. Lookin' really good! I like the way it is illuminated! If I were you, (and I'm not,) I'd just use all of the space I had available. I plan to allow my self as much room for expansion as possible. My bldg is 12' x 24'. And I don't plan to sell, either, but I don't plan on dying in my sleep, either. I'm waiting for Jesus to come and get me!!

I Have an Idea . If I die before he comes to get you I will see you at hallelujah square. If I don't beat you there the as you go up look north east I'll be waving your direction. I see you are from s.w. Virginia. Are you near Hungry Mother?
Les