Planning on a G Scale Railway

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by CSX, Sep 20, 2005.

1. CSX

CSX Member

I am thinking about building a G scale railroad in my frontyard. I need some help with doing this. I want something large enough to be interesting, but not something so big that it will cost too much. I was thinking maybe 100 - 150 feet of track? Would that do well with 1 train? I am thinking of running an Aristo-Craft SD45 CSX locomotive. Approximatly how many cars could this pull, and still look good with the amount of track? Is Bachmann G-Scale track good enough outdoors? Anything else I should know? I am new to the outdoor railways but have been collecting and running model trains for about 10 years. Thanks in advance!!
  2. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

From the little I have learned so far the Bachmann track is not good outside. Go with either the Aristo Craft or LGB track. We are currently building our first outdoor garden railroad around our fish pond. You can find some photos here: http://www.the-gauge.com/thread16063-.html
  3. CSX

CSX Member

You have a nice railway. How many feet of track did you use?
  4. fooldancing

fooldancing New Member

My layout only measures about 12 feet long by 5 feet wide. It sets inside of a 16x8 flower bed made out of rr ties. I run a Bachmann 4-6-0 with tender, box car, and two pennsy passanger cars. I can also run my Alco FA-1 and FB-1 diesels pulling the cars. so our layout is what you make of it. I do plan on expanding to my back yard when my budget allows me to do so.
    Have fun and good luck,
    Matt
  5. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

We used two cases of 5 foot diameter curves and one case of 2 foot straight track. Each case contains 12 sections of track.
  6. CSX

CSX Member

I am looking to do a 200 foot railway. How many cars could run on that while looking decent?