Plank and Tie Mill

camelot

Jan 12, 2003
Perth Western Australia
Visit site
Hi Jon , here is a picture of the cover of the "Plank and tie kit from Woodland scenics , not sure which kit came first , this one or the one shamus has.

Hi Jim , I like your alterations on the Plank and Tie kit , hopefully mine can look as good once its planted in the layout.

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 137

Jeff Law

Class B Climax

Hmmm, the Climax, it was only a matter of time before someone brought it up!

I ran into a problem a few weeks ago when, despite all of my careful planning, I found I had the jack-shaft (the transverse shaft) rotating the wrong way in respect of the wheels. Rebuilt the drive only to find that it had made no difference!

I've now added two NWSL spur gears to the Transfer Case to provide reversal of rotation, so now it's waiting for me to mill a new front chassis sub-frame to take it.

In the meantime, I've been building a Backwoods Miniatures Hudswell-Clarke 0-6-0 Diesel Loco (as used in Fiji). This kit is brilliant, but not for the faint-hearted. I'll post some photos soon.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Jeff, sorry to hear abouthte Climax troubles :( Love to see a piccy of the Diesel! Fiji, Japan? I follow some Asian loco's when I'm not looking at Danish loco's, when I'm not looking specifically at Filipino locos, when I'm not looking at American loco's or doin' sumpthin' else :D :D :D We yahoo groups for the Asian and Fil lokeys.

Jeff Law

Actually Ron, that is the manufacturer's pre-production prototype!

However, I hope mine will be just as good.

The nice thing about these Backwoods Miniatures kits are that the etchings are done in Nickel Silver, not Brass, which makes soldering a breeze!

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Jeff,
I wish you all the luck in building that beautiful model. Be sure to send us a picture when its finished. I'm waiting for a steam donkey kit myself and sure can't wait to get started on it. Good luck'

Ron

Jeff Law

Hi Ron,

Speaking of Donkeys, I have an idea that I sketched out to make an operating Steam Donkey, driving a high-line rig on a pair of spar trees. The Donkey's motor would be DCC controlled, using a sound decoder, so that it could sound all of the correct whistles, etc.

Is that getting a bit carried away!!

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Here's my Tie and Plank Mill, named after my Father-in-law. eventualy I'm planning on having a small narrow guage logging spur that will supply the trees for it.

aai.sized.jpg

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Pity I cannot get 0n30 ones like them.

Paul,
I believe that Lifelike has a set of O scale work figures, that are reasonable looking. They might need a bit of a touchup (Lifelike doesn't have you working for them), but should turn out quite nicely, with very little effort.
Pete