Plan critique requested

astrowolf67

Nov 12, 2005
W. KY
Hi all, I've been lurking for a while, reading, and enjoying everyones discussions. I've been collecting N scale equipment for a few years, and, have even had some track nailed down a few times, just to run trains on. For Christmas, I gave my 5 year old son his first N scale train set, and we've decided it's time for a first REAL layout. My design goals were as follows. Size should not exceed 3ft x 6 ft. The benchwork (which is 90% complete) should be portable, and able to collapse for storage under my son's bed. The frame is made from 1 x 4, 1 x 3, and 2 x 2 pine lumber, and the table surface will be a sheet of foam. We wanted a continous loup for him to run his train on, an inner loop for me to run some trains on, and do a little switching if desired, and, since I picked up a Peco turntable a few years ago, I wanted to incorporate it into the design. The outer loop, will be elevated at the rear of the table, to help break up the one leveled look.
Okay, enough rambling, and on to the plan. I did it in Atlas RTS, and it's close to what I want. The main difference, I will be using flex track instead of sectional. Let me know what you think, and what could be improved. Your input will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• s layout 01.jpg
    s layout 01.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 73

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Welcome to The Gauge, Astrowolf! :wave: I suggest putting in a runaround track on the inside loop - one that you could use without fouling the outer loop. Be sure to post some pictures when you get started.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
You might consider using a plastic folding banquet table as a base support for your son's layout. I think they are about 30 inches by 6 feet. You could build a table top to slip over the table for the model railroad that would slide easily under your son's bed. The table would be available for other uses when the railroad was not in operation.

kchronister

Nov 1, 2004
Boiling Springs, PA
Not to be saccharine, Astrowolf, but I think it's just great. I'm absolutely lousy at designing small layouts myself, so I apprecate one that's "just so".

I can see where the runaround track suggested would be good, but I think you'd then be at risk of getting over "spaghetti" and having no room for anything but track...

I tend to favor running the trains over switching, and to my taste you have a good balance of that here. Plenty of chance to run the trains over different routes and minimize any "round and round" boredom, but also a good dose of ways to move cars about, change locos and do other switching.

astrowolf67

Nov 12, 2005
W. KY
John, I thought about the run around, and, don't want to congest the layout with too much track. I've got lots of buildings that I've been buying over the years, and lots of trees and other items. A great suggestion though!

Russ, I like the idea of the banquet table, but the frame work is pretty much done. I already have the folding leg set, from a door layout I did years ago, so they are being recycled.

kchronister, thanks for the compliments. I've had a heck of a time trying to decide on a plan. Lots of looking through plan books, magazines, and web sites. I finally just sat down, listed what I wanted, and searched again. I'd look at designs, combine this feature with that one, ect. Then, this one came out, and when I finished it, I knew it was what I wanted.

I went yesterday, and bought the foam sheet from the local Home Depot. I got a 4 x 8 of 1 1/2" pink. Tonight, after watching DIY's rerun of Working on the Railroad, I ordered the rest of the track, and supplies that I need (since Atlas announced it's price increase coming next month). As soon as everything arrives, I'll start taking some pics, and get a thread started to document my progress.

Thanks all,
David

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
One more idea to consider to make it easy to store the table under a bed. Mount swivel castors just inside the four corners of the layout that will raise the layout just enough to allow the folded legs to clear the floor. When it is time to store it, fold the legs and roll it under the bed.