add.jpg

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Thanks Eric!

What is the size of it?

It's about 25 scale feet long in HO.

Just wondering what it does for the log camp.

It provides all the electricity for all the logging operations PKLC has, which right now, is just the generator itself :D :D :D It should soon be powering an electric donkey and eventuall camp lights, buildings, etc.

And any photos of your log camp?

This is it! The whole camp! LOL More to come...

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Jon,

my congratulations to your LPBs - now they have an easier plife (= plastic life) when they can enjoy the advantages of electric power! :D

Your generator is an ingenious contraption, indeed! It can't deny its electric ancestry, having served as a radio tuning knob in a former life! :thumb: ;) :D
Therefore it is very fitting that it serves at the camp of Cobbler KNOB! :p

Now this is recycling at its best!!!

Ron

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Thanks folks, for the kind words! Very close ron, it's a fuse cap. I was a little dissapointed in how that part looked in the pictures; it's OK inperson, but I think I might drill some radial holes for cooling and have the shaft protrude fromt he housing, then it might appear more realistic. If/when, I'll update the pics.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Tyson, I've found it's bennificial to have a semi-friendly relationship with one or two, then they will rat out the baddies. Give them a few perks. But, if they act up one bit, I don't hesitate to wave around the acetone bottle, or even use it on 'em! They know who's boss,a nd I'll burn down their union halls as fast as they can build 'em! :curse: :curse: :curse:

Thanks buddy.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Thanks guys, your words are very encouraging :)

A&J, I'm not sure what model exactly, but it's the woodland scenics kit for the old timey tracktor with metal tires. I found one picture on the internet that called it a model B, but I thought that was a later model like the ones athern sells. The one on the web did look just like hte model, so I'm sure it's a Deere. Originally I had glued the fron tires on, which was a real pain to get them positioned and held long enough for the gel CA to hold, then one of the LPB's knocked it off the table :curse: :curse: :curse: So I tossed the wheels in the junk box, along with all the other parts. I did manage to get the second in the kit built and set aside, away from the LPBs :D

d211b.jpg

Kit# D211

Here's the one I found:

http://www.turkeyfest.org/tidbits.shtml

johndeerbwatson.jpg

A&JRR

Apr 2, 2004
Indianapolis, Indiana
Visit site
It looks like a model B. My dad has several real ones in the styled and unstyled versions. They are really good tractors.

On a technical side note in real life they would have the belt on the pulley on the other side of the tractor. The clutch control lever on them not only controlled the power to the wheels but also allowed you to stop the pulley. We always ran a belt from that pulley to a large saw log saw. The flywheel that you have the belt on is actually used to start the engine on a non-electric start engine. I hope this doesn't put me in that rivet counter category.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Actually, I wondered if that were to be a flywheel and the pully were on the other side. When I saw the woodland scenics picture that I posted (first time I saw it today) I realized I had probably gotten it wrong. I think I'm going to pullthe generator out and make it look better or replace it, si I'll change the belt arrangement too. I think I can't go off the back directly from the small one though, as it will rub the axle, so I'll need an idler pully, which would add interst anywho.

I'm glad you brought that up, adn I was wondering if I would be corrected. No, that's not rivet counting. The prototype would not work how I built it. Rivet counting would be if you said it should have been painted 1/32 of a shade darker green :D :D :D

Now, I hope no one notices I've connected the throttle linkage extension to the shift lever or what ever is under the steering linkage :D

BTW: Were the radiators really yellow?

A&JRR

Apr 2, 2004
Indianapolis, Indiana
Visit site
I think the radiator was painted green. I wouldn't quote me on that though. The really cool thing about that particular tractor is that it can run several different kinds of fuel. There is 2 gas tanks on it. The first one is the small tank that is right in front of the steering wheel. You start and stut down the tractor on that tank. The big tank is the one that you run it on. You could use gasoline, kerosene & alcohol. Basically whatever you could get your hands on at the time. :D If you need any more info about the tractor just let me know.

edit- I think what you hooked your throttle up to is the switch that switches which tank the engine is running off of. I doubt many people would notice. I didn't even notice till you mentioned it.