Pizza!

tverskaya

Dec 28, 2005
Anyone care for a nice slice of pizza?

Toppings include a most delicious hill, a highly entertaining tram loop (free tunnel included!) and a most extraordinary funicular climbing up the hill. Add a road snaking through the lower part of the layout, a couple of beautiful trees, maybe even in spring blossom and a house with an idyllic view situated on the hilltop...

Attachments

• pizzatv.JPG
    pizzatv.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 15

tverskaya

Dec 28, 2005
Funiculars are often seen in pairs, with both acting as a counterweight to the other. Hanging them on a cable on two sets of tracks would be the easiest way, but a much more realistic solution would be to construct a gauntlet track, but I doubt it'll be an easy task finding unflanged and double-flanged wheels as per the prototype. The beauty of that is that there's no switching involved and it always works...

Of course, a single car system would probably be enough of a sight...

Attachments

• funicular_fun.JPG
    funicular_fun.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 17

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Anyone care for a nice slice of pizza?

Toppings include a most delicious hill, a highly entertaining tram loop (free tunnel included!) and a most extraordinary funicular climbing up the hill. Add a road snaking through the lower part of the layout, a couple of beautiful trees, maybe even in spring blossom and a house with an idyllic view situated on the hilltop...

Looks like a great pizza!
Cut me a slice! :D

tverskaya

Dec 28, 2005
Thanks for your encouragement! I might even head to the shop to pick up some flex track and track cutters tomorrow. Had takeaway Chinese today for supper. Should have been pizza.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I have a feeling that this one will have some real potential. As a fellow pizza layout modeler as well, I look forward to seeing LOTS of pictures of your progress!!!:-D I hope my sons layout was some inspiration for you.

tverskaya

Dec 28, 2005
Got five feet of flex track from the friendly local hobby store today. Was delighted to find out that flex track is more like elastic track! Always thought that it would be like forcibly bending copper wire or something and that it could never, ever be bent back to it's original shape.

Was a bit horrified about the price they asked for rail connectors....4,80 euros (about $6) for twenty of the friggin' things! Wasn't in the mood to argue either... Later today I got ripped off at the supermarket where the copymachine ate my money and the shop drone just shrugged and looked sheepishly at my request to get my money back.

So the next step probably is to find out the minimum turning radius of a Schienenbus (which I don't have but which is the train that's going to run in circles...must try to repaint it as one of the Serbian railroads too...) After that I can decide what size the layout is going to be. (We're talking micro, after all)

BigJim

Nov 19, 2006
North Plains, Oregon
dixiemtn.com
I agree that a gantlet would look great. Don't know why the "unflanged and double-flanged wheels as per the prototype" would be important unless you wanted to only have two rails at the top & bottom. I did a free-handlaid gantlet turnout for my bridge track. Same thing but 2>1>2 rather than 1>2>1.

You would want to bend the divirging legs to be parallel rather than mine that go to a hidden loop.
gturn.jpg

tverskaya

Dec 28, 2005
Yes, it'd probably lead to a lot of unnecessary headaches. It might not be such a bad idea to start with the pizza before moving on to the challenging parts.