Pizza box modulars

Collyn

I was thinking about doing something other than my main layout. I want small , indepndent scenes that can have a train run in a loop but i thought it would also be neat if I hook them together to make a larger layout. This would be a real good chance to get creative. So what do you think of the Idea. Something else i just thought of since they are the pizza box type I can add extra turnouts so I can rearange them in any shape, any order. L shape, U sheape etc

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
That sounds interesting. I always thought that if I were going to expand my sons n scale 2'x2' circle, I would rip out two of the corner radii and add switches . The first complication that comes to mind is your scenery. Would you be bold and have each one as its own little entity or would you make an attempt to have the scenery flow between them? If you want them to flow and also want to mix them up every so often, you would need to come up with some sort of scenery standard for the edges.

KCS

TrainNut said:
That sounds interesting. I always thought that if I were going to expand my sons n scale 2'x2' circle, I would rip out two of the corner radii and add switches . The first complication that comes to mind is your scenery. Would you be bold and have each one as its own little entity or would you make an attempt to have the scenery flow between them? If you want them to flow and also want to mix them up every so often, you would need to come up with some sort of scenery standard for the edges.

Starting in a swamp and 6 feet later your in the desert. When I was younger I didn't mind this but no it's something that's starting to bother me. If I build a full continuous run layout then I would build half in the west and half of the east so I could have some gold's and browns but still have greens. I thought about it and I figured why not fade it to change like the country side does when you travel just in a smaller area fitting it into a layout. I don't think it would work on an island layout but would be great for an around the walls layout plus the size would be a big factor to how good it would look. The bigger the better it would turn out.

Collyn

TrainNut said:
Would you be bold and have each one as its own little entity or would you make an attempt to have the scenery flow between them? If you want them to flow and also want to mix them up every so often, you would need to come up with some sort of scenery standard for the edges.
The idea is not realism it is more of a creative, almost cartoonish thing. I was thinking i might even have each modual be a little history lesson. With scenes from all eras. I was hoping to get in to some animation with it also. I am pretty good with that sort of stuff. Mabey I could even eventually (we are talking a long way off) have one for each decade. Starting off with the wright brothers fist flight, some bootleggers, moveing on to the apollo missions to the fall of the berlin wall. Fun stuff. Instead of transisions i was thinking I might find some way of dividing them.

Just thinking outside of the box. By making a pizza box.sign1

Collyn

If I were going to do this, what would be the best way to construct the moduals. How are modulars normaly bolted together. Would i just do this on all 4 sides?

There are a number of ways you could connect the modules together, depending on how you built the modules. If you make the modules out of 1"x 4" (¾"x 3½") pine lumber, you could either clamp the modules together with C-clamps, or you could install some T-nuts so that the modules could be bolted together with ¼" or 5/16" bolts. To keep the modules light, you could use some 1½" or 2" styrofoam for the deck. Of course, if you shaved the lumber down to ¾"x 3" or even down to ¾"x 2½", the modules would be even lighter.

The possibilities are unlimited.

Bob M.