Pix/Update of my Kitbashing Project

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Here is an update & some pics regarding my project which I've decribed recently on this forum.

As mentioned, I have a Hornby model of an E2 model which was used by the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway. I'm trying to convert it into a similar loco, which is a 3F.

The first pic is a shot of a real 3F that I took in England two summers ago. The others are shots of my E2 loco in two stages. The first pic shows the loco as I just started to work on it. The last two shots show it much closer to completion. I'm using polystyrene strips and modeling "white putty" to reshape the body.

All I need to do now is: move the steam dome forward slightly (as per the real 3F); sand down the white putty; spray paint the loco black; apply British Railway decals; and add celophane windows cut in the correct 3F shape.

When I paint the loco, I'm going to mask/tape the wheels to prevent paint from getting into the motor (I've found out from 2 other guys, who have also owned models of this loco, that it's extremely difficult to remove the body from the chassis).

The biggest discrepancy -- that I'm probably going to have to live with because I can't remove the body -- is that the boiler of the E2 is higher/taller than the 3F.

I'm curious to hear and feedback or thoughts -- thanks!

Rob

THIS IS THE "REAL THING," A REAL 3F LOCO THAT I'M TRYING TO KITBASH MY MODEL INTO

THIS IS MY HORNBY E2 MODEL WHEN I JUST STARTED TO WORK ON IT
View attachment 36599

THIS IS A SHOT OF MY MODEL AFTER MOST OF THE RE-SHAPING IS DONE BUT OBVIOUSLY BEFORE SPRAY PAINTING!
View attachment 36600

ANOTHER SHOT OF "ALMOST FINISHED" PROJECT
View attachment 36601[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 3FH.gif
    3FH.gif
    55.8 KB · Views: 214
  • LBSC_1_IMG_3609.gif
    LBSC_1_IMG_3609.gif
    41.5 KB · Views: 214
  • LBSC_2_IMG_3620.gif
    LBSC_2_IMG_3620.gif
    32.2 KB · Views: 207
  • LBSC_2_IMG_3622.gif
    LBSC_2_IMG_3622.gif
    38.9 KB · Views: 207
N

nachoman

i can't wait to see the results! It is looking goos so far.

kevin

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Updated/"final" pics

OK -- here the pics of my finished project!

Discrepancies abound but I'll have to live with them. I really struggled with the number decals, manuevering such small objects into the correct place took a lot of patience. This was my first real kitbashing effort and these close-up pics magnify any sloppiness.

As noted earlier, the frame (mainly the boiler) should be lower but that would take too much work.

At any rate, I'm curious to hear your honest thoughts on this project.

Rob

View attachment 36681

View attachment 36682

View attachment 36683

Attachments

• IMG_3624_2.gif
    IMG_3624_2.gif
    39.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3625.gif
    IMG_3625.gif
    40.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3627.gif
    IMG_3627.gif
    26.8 KB · Views: 120

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
It looks pretty good to me Rob, especially for your first attempt. :thumb: You are to be commended for tackling this project, as it can be quite enervating the first time you start hacking into a locomotive. However, to be totally honest, you could've fooled me simply by repainting the original loco, as I'm not very familiar with the nuances of British steam.;)

Wayne

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
doctorwayne said:
It looks pretty good to me Rob, especially for your first attempt. :thumb: You are to be commended for tackling this project, as it can be quite enervating the first time you start hacking into a locomotive. However, to be totally honest, you could've fooled me simply by repainting the original loco, as I'm not very familiar with the nuances of British steam.;)
Wayne

Thanks, Wayne! Any sloppiness shows up in the very close-up shots. Overall I'm pleased with it and might be able to improve it later on. It was easier to do and more fun than I expected. I appreciate your feedback. Rob