Pix from Toronto Roundhouse

RobertInOntario

Last Friday, my family & I visited the CN Tower and the ex-CPR Roundhouse afterwards (the site of a new railway museum, see Toronto Railway Historical Association). I'm quite intrigued by the good progress the TRHA (Toronto Railway Historical Association) is making.

I've included a shot of the roundhouse from the CN Tower as well as a pic of their recently acquired green switcher (soon to be restored) and the maroon and grey CP diesel. The turntable should also be operational in the near future.

A nice side-benefit is being able to visit the Steam Whistle brewery, which operates in part of the roundhouse, where you can get beer samples!

Rob

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4270.jpg

IMG_4271.jpg

IMG_4272.jpg

IMG_4278.jpg

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
very cool pics rob! that roundhouse is very cool,with free beer to boot! that switcher will be a very nice addition to it all once its done!and the CP scheme on that switcher (i cant tell what kind) is B_E_A utiful.i cant beleive what that place would be like with a working TT a full roundhouse,cool switchers and beer.thats what i like to call heaven!--josh

RobertInOntario

very cool pics rob! that roundhouse is very cool,with free beer to boot! that switcher will be a very nice addition to it all once its done!and the CP scheme on that switcher (i cant tell what kind) is B_E_A utiful.i cant beleive what that place would be like with a working TT a full roundhouse,cool switchers and beer.thats what i like to call heaven!--josh

Thanks, Josh! It all does seem pretty cool. I've been following the TRHA's progress, which seemed very slow a couple years ago but is now speeding up. The roundhouse is pretty much landlocked now but I'd really like to see them operating steam engines down there someday. The roundhouse is still located next to Toronto's Union Station and several busy lines of track.

I forget what type of CP switcher that is but it might explain it on their website. They also hope to move a well preserved steam engine there and a preserved historic railway station to the roundhouse park.

And yes, the free beer is great. It was really hot that day and they gave my wife and I quite large samples -- almost half a pint! :mrgreen: Unfortunately, we were in a hurry and had to gulp them down!

Cheers,
Rob

RobertInOntario

I forgot to mention that a furniture store -- of all things! wall1 -- is also going to move into the roundhouse! So in the end, I believe there will be 3 organizations occupying the roundhouse -- Steam Whistle Beer (which is a supporter of the railway museum), the furniture store and the railway museum. Rob

Pooh Bah
I read that the owners of the CP switcher have been told to move it out.
The original idea was that there would be a spur connecting to the mainline that passes south of Union station, but CN doesn't want a turnout cut in there. Also, supposedly the south convention centre is built under where the spur would have to go and won't support the weight of a locomotive.

RobertInOntario

I read that the owners of the CP switcher have been told to move it out.
The original idea was that there would be a spur connecting to the mainline that passes south of Union station, but CN doesn't want a turnout cut in there. Also, supposedly the south convention centre is built under where the spur would have to go and won't support the weight of a locomotive.

Thanks, David. I heard about that as well, back in the spring. But it seems to have died down and/or been resolved? At any rate, it's sitting there right in the park and I haven't heard anything recently about it. So I'm hoping that it will be able to stay there. It would be great if they could somehow build a turnout cut to the mainline. Rob

Triplex

7069 is a Baldwin DS-4-4-1000: DS 4-4-1000 7069 The other switcher... what is it? About the size of a 44-tonner, but certainly not the GE model of that size. The CLC (FM) 44-tonner known as a DT-2 has side rods, but the end grilles don't match: 44H44A1 12 A Whitcomb? I don't know my small switchers.

doctorwayne

7069 is a Baldwin DS-4-4-1000: DS 4-4-1000 7069 The other switcher... what is it? About the size of a 44-tonner, but certainly not the GE model of that size. The CLC (FM) 44-tonner known as a DT-2 has side rods, but the end grilles don't match: 44H44A1 12 A Whitcomb? I don't know my small switchers.

This got me intrigued, and I finally found that little side-rod switcher, or perhaps a sister.
Heres a link to the site: Old Time Trains

And another to the photo:
Westinghouse CLC 50 Tonner

Pretty good guess, Triplex, only 6 tons off. :thumb:
This also demonstrates how "on-the-ball" I am: I grew up in Hamilton and wasn't even aware that the Westinghouse plant on Sanford Ave. (there were 3 Westinghouse plants in Hamilton) even had a locomotive.

Wayne

RobertInOntario

This got me intrigued, and I finally found that little side-rod switcher, or perhaps a sister.
Heres a link to the site: Old Time Trains

And another to the photo:
Westinghouse CLC 50 Tonner

Pretty good guess, Triplex, only 6 tons off. :thumb:
This also demonstrates how "on-the-ball" I am: I grew up in Hamilton and wasn't even aware that the Westinghouse plant on Sanford Ave. (there were 3 Westinghouse plants in Hamilton) even had a locomotive.

Wayne

I'm not sure if I'm answering the right question but that new switcher (that the TRHA is now repainting) is a Whitcomb. Just FYI! Rob

doctorwayne

Rob, if you look at the caption under the picture in my second link, you'll see that it is a Whitcomb, built, under licence I would guess, by CLC.

Here's another link to the same general site. This is a picture of the loco that was offered to me, free, about 20 years ago. I believe that I've told the story elsewhere, some time ago.

Whitcomb 65 Tonner

Wayne

RobertInOntario

Rob, if you look at the caption under the picture in my second link, you'll see that it is a Whitcomb, built, under licence I would guess, by CLC.
Here's another link to the same general site. This is a picture of the loco that was offered to me, free, about 20 years ago. I believe that I've told the story elsewhere, some time ago.
Whitcomb 65 Tonner
Wayne

Thanks, Wayne ... I was just quickly responding and not properly reading everything! Take care, Rob

Whoa guys! Let's get it right.

The green switcher was built by the Canadian Locomotive Company of Kingston Ont. It "resembles" a Whitcomb.

Actually it is because it was built under licence. But what does that mean? What parts were fabricated in Kingston and what parts were shipped from the US of A.

FYI, the locomotive was acquired from the guys down in Trenton (Quinte Rail) and had been advertised for a while on e-Bay. Prior to that it had worked in the Nelson Aggregates quarries. It may have worked at a tourist Railway (York Durham perhaps?). I'll have to check my Canadian Trackside Guide.

Triplex

I don't think "built under license" means that any parts were necessarily US-built, but that CLC had the rights to copy Whitcomb's design.

Incidentally, CP 7069 isn't a "true" Baldwin. It's a Baldwin design built under license by CLC.

RobertInOntario

Whoa guys! Let's get it right.
The green switcher was built by the Canadian Locomotive Company of Kingston Ont. It "resembles" a Whitcomb.
Actually it is because it was built under licence. But what does that mean? What parts were fabricated in Kingston and what parts were shipped from the US of A.
FYI, the locomotive was acquired from the guys down in Trenton (Quinte Rail) and had been advertised for a while on e-Bay. Prior to that it had worked in the Nelson Aggregates quarries. It may have worked at a tourist Railway (York Durham perhaps?). I'll have to check my Canadian Trackside Guide.

Well, thanks Bob. I'm not an expert on this at all, but it seems that the TRHA refers to it as a Whitcomb ... maybe I should drop them a note!

Please note I'm not disagreeing or anything, just passing on what I've heard and read!

And yes, I did know that it came from Trenton and was at a quarry before that. I also heard that it was a switcher at the York-Durham Heritage Railway (I'm a member there but only manage to ride their trains 2-3 times a year).

Cheers,
Rob

Triplex

Incidentally, CP 7069 isn't a "true" Baldwin. It's a Baldwin design built under license by CLC.
Cancel that. I just remembered that CP's Baldwins were built at Eddystone and then shipped to Canada where they received CLC builder's plates. My statement would apply to, for example, the FM designs which were the majority of CLC's production.