Ping-Pong Ball Cannon!

paperbeam

Dec 16, 2006
Vancouver
Hi all!:wave:

It's here!

cannonkeep1.jpg

You can get it at:

Paper Card Model Ping-Pong Ball Cannon - (eBay item 160160065649 end time Sep-30-07 16:32:38 PDT)

I was going to post this new working cannon model on my website, but I've been waiting for my webdesigner to insert it for a while now. It should be up on my website in a few more days...

Enjoy!:rofl:

(Soon to be the second home of the Ping-Pong Ball Cannon) N/Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at: paperbeam - virtual paper models

sr5nm

Jul 9, 2004
The parts file is missing the page with the carriage for the cannon. Other than that, it looks good.

paperbeam

Dec 16, 2006
Vancouver
Sorry, sr5nm!:

Check your PM where I'll let you know how I'm emailing the parts to you.:thumb:

I've now fixed the error with the files and reloaded them, so everything's cool now!:cool:

Terry

PAPERBEAM - VIRTUAL PAPER MODELS

sr5nm

Jul 9, 2004
No problem. I'm sure my boys will want to make a few this weekend. How about a vertical feed chute to make it a semi auto? Maybe a smaller version for marshmallows?????

C

cgutzmer

You can just print it smaller to make a smaller scale :) A marshmallow might be kind of heavy though - but a really small one shooting mini marshmallows would be fun!

What weight paper do you suggest? 110 lb is the heaviest I have....
Chris

paperbeam

Dec 16, 2006
Vancouver
110 lb. would be fine Chris as the parts that needed reinforcement I designed multiple pieces for strength already!

It easily shoots several ping-pong balls if you load 'em in the barrel - plenty of room there!

Terry

PAPERBEAM - VIRTUAL PAPER MODELS

sr5nm

Jul 9, 2004
If you loaded several, it would just be one blast. A vertical feed tube would let them shoot one at a time.

Chris, I meant to scale it down to use the mini marshmallows, like we use in our PVC marshmallow guns.

C

cgutzmer

I got mine! What kind of range have you been getting out of the cannon? Not including rolling ;) I think some testing might be in order!
Chris

paperbeam

Dec 16, 2006
Vancouver
Hi Chris,

I've managed to get a least a twenty ft. range, although more is probably possible.

There's a certain technique to it that takes a bit of practice.

Terry

C

cgutzmer

Hey all! I finished up my build! It turned out pretty nice! Its a quick build, took me a couple days even with the kids harrassment (cannon only) I had a couple minor fit problems on the tube that attaches to the end of the cannon but I can prolly say that I rolled the tube a bit too small since the fit was off about the same at both ends. I easily remedied that by forcing a ring of white glue arond the join sections. I think this is a great thing to do anyway because it makes it airtight and it dries clear. When I was done I covered one end and blew in the other (after attached to the barrell) and had zero air loss. Very nice!

I would suggest for those of you that have the option to get 40 mm ping pong balls (pro) i got the 38 mm(recreational) and they seem a bit small in the cannon. I think if the ball pushed back more squarely against the launch tube I would get better distances and that two mm is small but it might make a difference! I could also only find 12 inch balloons at wally world so my air pressure is maybe not as great as it should be.

I have not built the keep just yet. I plan on making a modification too it. I am going to cut the door so that I can store the ping pong balls in the base :) Its just not quite big enough so I will prolly just make part of the wall swing out too. I really cool addition might be a portcullis or something that lifts open to reveal a little walled cell for storing the ping pong balls. I might print off an extra wall and laminate it over one of the interior supports to crate this affect. Might even try scratch building the portcullis or something. We will see how the day goes :)
Thanks for the fun toy Terry!
Chris

C

cgutzmer

Here is my completed cannon and keep! Along with slight modification of holding cell :)

DSCN5298.JPG

DSCN5295.JPG

DSCN5296.JPG

C

cgutzmer

Yes, toothpicks and about 5 feet - I suck :) but the kids love it and the cats chase the balls :)
Chris