pier pressure...

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
On a brisk winter day, the piers of Baltimore are bustling with activity. Steam tug #6, of the Fells Point Towing Company, is about to depart to pick up some reefers full of bananas across the harbor. Meanwhile, the stevedores go about their back breaking work on the piers loading and unloading the various boxcars that have been set out the night before by the B&O. This must be done with efficiency, as there are a number of ships due to unload along the various piers today.

Attachments

• pier1.jpg
    pier1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 56
  • pier2.jpg
    pier2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 60
  • pier3.jpg
    pier3.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 55
  • pier4.jpg
    pier4.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 54
  • pier5.jpg
    pier5.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 60

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Great shots.:thumb: You do realize that the top picture will qualify to be entered into this month's photo contest. Trains (any part) and one other mode of transportation....:D

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Good thing the crew is efficient this morning, cause the tugs are bringing in another car carrier full of hot freight. These particular cars will be interchanged with the Pennsy over in Canton, MD.

Attachments

• pier21.jpg
    pier21.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 54
  • pier22.jpg
    pier22.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 59
  • pier24.jpg
    pier24.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 51
  • pier25.jpg
    pier25.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 53
  • pier26.jpg
    pier26.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 51

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Here is a bit of the action over at pier 3, the unloading warehouse is a busy place in the morning.

Attachments

• pier23A1.jpg
    pier23A1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 54
  • pier28.jpg
    pier28.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 51
  • pier27A.jpg
    pier27A.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 51
  • pier26A.jpg
    pier26A.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 48
  • pier29A.jpg
    pier29A.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 51

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Now I've got a case of pier envy! I really like the way your buildings look in the background behind your tug and car float. All of the figures bring the scene alive too! Terrific pictures!
Ralph

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I think that is one of the best layouts I have ever seen!!! Could you show some shots from a distance to show construction and layout?? Thanks.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Great lookin' pictures, Stuart. I wish that I'd had the room to include a dock scene on my own layout. Nice work on the piers, and I also like the effect of scuffed and weathered steel on that carfloat.

Wayne

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Happy weekend everyone. Thanks for the positive feedback, always good to hear as it lets me know I am going in the right direction. Glen, the tug is from a company called Model Expo and is called "steam tug Taurus". It is a beautiful kit I purchased about 8 years ago. My only regret is that my modeling skills are not what they are today {not saying much}, and that I know I can do a much better job with it today. The handrails were particulary troublesome. However, I think it will do fine as a background tug as I plan to purchase another one when finances allow. It uses a lot of construction techniques that were then completely new to me, such as individually applied wooden wainscotting pieces on the pilot house, not to mention the drilling of the holes and metal handrails that had to be made. Wayne, I dont really have room just yet for the pier{that will be on the 2x8 foot extension that is in the works}, however, I made a diorama and placed it in front of an existing part of the layout and photographed it using the actual layout as a backdrop. The water was "poured in" using Photoshop as well as the sky effects and smoke from the steam tug. What was actually an error in the top photo {in the sky} that I did not catch during the editing of the picture, turned out to be kind of funny, as Cindy {my wife to be}, noted that it looked like an airplane exhaust trail. I thought that was kind of funny. Anyhow, hope everyones weekend is a good one, Stuart.