Pictures of your Z scales

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
yeah they look about that price what does track and cars cost for Z scale? that big boy will look very nice

Dominique

May 26, 2004
Paris and Burgondy, France
Hello, myself I'm building a 6.5 x 4 meter (21' x 15') walkaround layout, which will be showing chosen locations of the Tehachapi Pass. Why Z, and not N or even HO? Because I really want to have broad curves, as my minimum radii are 50cm / 20", and I want to operate LOONNGG trains (up to 80 cars). For this I have a roster of cars from Micro-Trains, Pennzee and FR Models (german craftsman). My locomotive roster is mainly from AZL, yes expensive locos, but like SmolderZ, I'm waiting for the next AZL release, SD70s/75s which will be circa $250.

About Micro-Trains, they will be releasing GP35s (and not GP40s) by the end of next fall.

For those who are wondering about Marklin, as they did launch Z scale, I'm not either very fond of their stuff, until they released a Pennsylvania GG1 electric last year, which is awesome. I didn't purchase any as my layout is focused on a modern western road (UP and BNSF), but from what I've read up to now, I should recommend it.

Dominique

Dominique

May 26, 2004
SmolderZ said:
You mean a Z-Scale Big Boy? Sorry they're not released yet :D I'm hoping it'll be on the market in 2006, I guess it'll cost around $2000 usd if AZL makes em.

Sorry SmolderZ, but as far as I know, AZL doesn't plan any Big Boy, but an AC10 Cab Forward....

Dominique

Dominique

May 26, 2004
SmolderZ said:
You mean the brief cases in the pictures above? I don't have the slightest clue to be honest, you could be able to make something like that with $3000? I might be way off...

Euh SmolderZ, sorry again, but I'm sure you should divide this price half...Let's consider a $120 MTL F7, a handle of $20 MTL freight cars, a few $20 Marklin turnouts, two $40 packs of MTL flextrack, a $100 powerpack, a few IBL cork roadbed packs, afew lumber and an old briefcase, and you have the minimum for $700 or so. Then you add the scenery, a few structures, and I think with a total of $1500 you have completed your work...

But myself I prefer big layouts, long trains and broad curves!:D

Dominique

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
Is marklin engines and cars more expencive than other companys since they started Z scale? i know for G scale LGB is the most expencive and O scale is lionel, How much is the AC10 forward cab going to be? i would like to see a big boy or challenger in Z scale since Z scales have nice details

Dominique

May 26, 2004
Livesteam said:
Is marklin engines and cars more expencive than other companys since they started Z scale? i know for G scale LGB is the most expencive and O scale is lionel, How much is the AC10 forward cab going to be? i would like to see a big boy or challenger in Z scale since Z scales have nice details

As far as I know Marklin prices relative to their Z scale stuff has always been in the same price range. Micro-Trains Line stuff is a little bit cheaper. AZL stuff is more expensive (except their F59PHI and forecoming SD70/75 as their shell is plastic injected) as it is brass built. I've no idea about their future Cab Forward, but as I purchased my GS4 4-8-4 steamer $1000 or so, it should be a good idea to imagine a price range of $2000.

Dominique

Livesteam

Aug 26, 2004
Do you have a picture of the GS4? also do you have a big layout, i have alot of diffrent scales but not Z scale and im thinking of getting into it

Dominique

May 26, 2004
Livesteam said:
...do you have a big layout, i have alot of diffrent scales but not Z scale and im thinking of getting into it

I don't have yet a big layout, but Im workin' on. It will be a walkaround style, roughly 6.5 m x 4 m (21' x 13'), point to point as I'm quickly bored by the sight of trains turning round, running and running the same trip, and as railroads are built for transportation from a point A to B.

It will begin with a big yard I'm workin' on, with 8 80-car tracks, showing Bakersfield in California, then, of course with selective compression and omission of a fair number of locations I will get to Summit, where locos will be uncoupled from my trains and coupled back for the return trip. The total run will be 40 m(130') or so, that is a little more than 8 scale kilometers (5 scale miles) in Z scale...

I will emphasize on the Caliente / Bealville location, that is to my eyes the more interresting with the Loop on this line. Unfortunately I cannot plan the Loop on my layout at the present stage, but when children are grown up, maybe I will be able to divert the track in a neighbouring room to build the Loop. But it is a long term project and for this I'll have a big deal project with the Wife!

Why having chosen Z scale? Only because I want to:

-have broad curves: minimum radius 50 cm (20"), as I remember I was suffering with my previous tight curved HO layout,.

-run long prototypical trains (up to 80 cars)

So for this purpose I've been collecting stuff for 8 years now, mostly MTL and AZL locos (I've more than 30 locos now), MTL, FR Models and Pennzee freight cars (I've 500 or so cars now), MTL flextrack and Peter Wright Nn3 turnouts that I have slightly modified (only cutting tie end so as to have a fair ratio between track gauge and tie lenght to match standard gauge and not narrow gauge).

As unfortunately the house where this modelrailroad is located is not my main home, I'm building this layout under modular shape, to build my modules in my flat in Paris, France, and thus not to loose time.

Dominique

SmolderZ

Sep 27, 2003
The Netherlands
Sorry SmolderZ, but as far as I know, AZL doesn't plan any Big Boy, but an AC10 Cab Forward....

I'm aware, but read "hoping", I didn't say they're planning to release one... :rolleyes:

Euh SmolderZ, sorry again, but I'm sure you should divide this price half...Let's consider a $120 MTL F7, a handle of $20 MTL freight cars, a few $20 Marklin turnouts, two $40 packs of MTL flextrack, a $100 powerpack, a few IBL cork roadbed packs, afew lumber and an old briefcase, and you have the minimum for $700 or so. Then you add the scenery, a few structures, and I think with a total of $1500 you have completed your work...

I'm talking about the 3-suitcase layout with turntable and at least 20 switches and you talk about a single suitcase layout, quite a difference...

I'll try to chose better words next time ;)

An awesome plan you got there Dominique :eek: do you think you ever get a go from your wife?, it's gonna take up so much space :(

Btw: I would love to see a glimp of your collection of Z trains :D

Dominique

May 26, 2004
SmolderZ said:
I'm aware, but read "hoping", I didn't say they're planning to release one... :rolleyes:

I'm talking about the 3-suitcase layout with turntable and at least 20 switches and you talk about a single suitcase layout, quite a difference...

I'll try to chose better words next time ;)

Sorry SmolderZ, the next time I'll be more careful when reading.....:sleeping:

SmolderZ said:
An awesome plan you got there Dominique :eek: do you think you ever get a go from your wife?, it's gonna take up so much space :(

Btw: I would love to see a glimp of your collection of Z trains :D

My wife is the most awesome woman I've ever known, as she encourages me with modelrailroading and other leisure activities; so she totally agrees with my house's main room use for a modelrailroad....:thumb:.

a glimpse of my roster?

-AZL: *9 C44-9s (3 UP, 1 C&NW, 1 NS, 3 AT&SF, 1 BNSF Heritage1)
*4 SD45s (1 UP, 1 D&RGW, 1 AT&SF, 1 BN)
*1 F45 (AT&SF)
*3 SD40-2s (1 UP, 1 AT&SF, 1 BN)
*2 SD40T2s (SP)
*1 F59PHI (+ 4 matching Amtrack West passenger cars)

Dominique

May 26, 2004
Sorry SmolderZ, the next time I'll be more careful when reading.....
sleeping.gif

My wife is the most awesome woman I've ever known, as she encourages me with modelrailroading and other leisure activities; so she totally agrees with my house's main room use for a modelrailroad....
thumbsup.gif

a glimpse of my roster?

-AZL: *9 C44-9s (3 UP, 1 C&NW, 1 NS, 3 AT&SF, 1 BNSF Heritage1)
*4 SD45s (1 UP, 1 D&RGW, 1 AT&SF, 1 BN)
*1 F45 (AT&SF)
*3 SD40-2s (1 UP, 1 AT&SF, 1 BN)
*2 SD40T2s (SP)
*1 F59PHI (+ 4 matching Amtrack West passenger cars)
*1 SP GS4 4-8-4 steamer, for my railfan runs.
*1 SP E8 and 1 SP PA1, for the same purpose.

* and I'm waiting for the forecoming SD70/75s...

-MTL: a bunch of F7As and Bs, that maybe I will sell later as I emphasize on modern era (unless I also keep'em as back-up power for railfan trips, after having detailed them..). And also I'm waiting for the forecoming Geeps....

300 or so freight cars from them (with a also a trial to emphasize on modern stuff like 50' boxcars without roofwalk - purchased before MTL accidentally broke the molds...).

-Pennzee: about 110 coal 3-bay hoppers.

-FR Models: *about 100 Gunderson double-stack cars,
*25 woodchip gondolas,
*15 covered grain hoppers

-Feather River: 20 centerbeam flatcars kits.

-Marklin: an assorted set of various passenger cars, that will run behind my old-timer SPs described above....

So now, when at last we have an availability for:

-modern high capacity tank cars,
-rounded covered grain hopers (as FR's samples are an older design, with straight edges like open coal hoppers),
-covered 3-level autoracks ,

I'll be the happiest of the Z-scalers. And I think that for the above items we won't have to wait too long as manufacturers like Micro-Trains have taken account for the urge for modern stuff....

If you want to see the soon coming GP35 go to MTL's website:

http://www.micro-trains.com

All the beZt,

Dominique

Dominique

May 26, 2004
Livesteam said:
So in total how many cars do you have? looks like you have a big collection

Yeah my friend, I don't extactly know, as I've been collecting stuff for 8 years now, and as I'm just beginning to build my main layout, but it should be 500 cars or so. That means about a little more than 6 80-car trains.

Dominique