Pictures of Old Layout

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Thought you might like to see these pictures of my layout as it looked a couple of years ago. At the time, I was modelling a seaside theme. I "abandoned" this railroad because of bad trackwork - which led to a loss of interest. :(
However, the benchwork still survives on my present layout.
John

Attachments

• Mvc-013s.jpg
    Mvc-013s.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 530
  • old_beach.jpg
    old_beach.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 522

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Nice looking layout, Papa Bear!
Believe me, we've all ended up with things on our layouts that don't work quite right, or that we don't like for one reason or another...
The good thing about making mistakes with things like trackwork, is that you learn more every time you do it, & the next layout will be even better!

Hope you don't mind, but I snitched that second pic, & messed around with it a little...I really like the waterfront scene! :thumb:

Attachments

• old_beach.jpg
    old_beach.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 477

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Thanks, Ken, Charlie, and RC! I look at it like Thomas Edison - I learned one more way how not to lay track! :D
I have considered building another seaside layout. I even have the Kibri lighthouse (still in the box) to put on it.
Charlie, nice work with the photo editing! I don't mind at all.
John

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I like the looks of the sea side scene too! I understand reworking track though. If it isn't working well it zaps the pleasure from the layout.
Ralph

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Track Plan

Here is the track plan for the old layout. It was 3'X6' with a 12" min. radius. The layout was intended to represent the end of a branch line. Operationally, trains would be made up in the staging tracks on the right side of the layout. They would run around the top and cross the bridge to enter the yard. The trains would then be broken down in the yard to serve the local industries. Last, a train would be made up to run back "inland" - across the bridge and into staging. The continuous-run connection at the bottom was to be disguised as an industry or an interchange track. (I had in mind modelling the curved building that I posted in the "Seen any good structures to Model anywhere" thread in the photography forum.)

But, with the track conditions, I was doing good just to get it to run around the loop! :mad: Live and learn.

John ;)

Attachments

• old_plan.gif
    old_plan.gif
    5.9 KB · Views: 451

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Papa,
I have also re-done your first pic, as I think its a very nice looking layout.

Shamus

Attachments

• gaugepic.jpg
    gaugepic.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 395