pictures of modern coalmine ?

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Hi all.

I'm looking for some pictures of a modern coalmine. I have searched using google and other search engines, but without any results. What I need is just some idea as how to build my own building. I do have Walthers coal mine, but I would really like to get away from that standard Walthers look, so I was thinking of either scratch building or kit bashing the building, so it doesn’t scream “WALTHERS” when you look at it.
Any ideas, pictures, prototypes, models are appreciated.

Thanks
Jesper

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Jesper,

Your question prompted a memory so I sorted through my box of model railroad magazines and articles that I cut out over the years. The July 1995 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman has a good article about building a modern coal mine based on prototype structures. It has good pics of the models and the impresssive conveyor systems. I hope you can find a copy.

Good luck!
Ralph

tomfassett

Oct 15, 2002
Chandler, AZ
www.trainweb.org
Originally posted by Ralph

...I hope you can find a copy.

Good luck!
Ralph

Oh, thanks Ralph! Get everbody's hopes up!:p :D
I got all excited thinking you were going to post a bunch of pics and now I have to go on a scavenger hunt. Hey Jesper, if you find one you share, if I find one, I'll share... Maybe we can also find an article on how to build a doghouse for Ralph (he, he)...:D :p :rolleyes: :) :D

Tom F

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Well shoot Tom, there is the lil' matter of copyright infringment. :)
Please make the doghouse big enough to include a layout room, will ya?
Ralph

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Ralph thanks for info. I just checked
http://www.rrmodelcraftsman.com/
And they still have 95 issues available, so I guess I will order that issue.

Rich. I think I could kit bash Walthers coalmine into something similar. Definitely, it's not the standard Walthers look, but I don't know how "modern" it is :)

Thanks for your info, I appreciate it

Jesper

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Jesper!
I don't know if these might help you any or not...thought it might give you an idea or two...
This is a picture of the Glenbrook Mine on the L&N's Clover Fork Branch in Eastern Ky. circa 1960's
This type of architecture hasn't changed a whole lot over the last 30 or 40 years.

Attachments

• mine1.jpg
    mine1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 104

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Here's another one...
This one is of the Lost Mine near Bulan, Ky. circa 1980's

Attachments

• mine2.jpg
    mine2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 103

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Jesper,
Charlie's pics are somewhat similar to the models in the RMC article. Lookling more closely at the pages I have it may be that the coal mine was a series an not limited to the July 1995 issue.

Ralph

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Once again thanks for the help.
I like the first picture Charlie posted, and I just saw that there are some coalmine pictures in the new Great Model Railroads 2003 on page 16/17, so I think I have enough to get some ideas. Actually, the Glenbrook mine (Charlie’s first picture) looks very similar to Walthers, just with some add ons, so I will probably use that one.

Charlie. I just did a search for Glenbrook mine on google for more pictures, but without any results. Do you maybe have another one that shows a little more of the building?.

Thanks
Jesper