Pictures from OZ (12)

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
TocumwalBridge01.JPG

The Tocumwal rail bridge that spans the Murray River on the Victoria/New South Wales border.
TocumwalBridge02.JPG

This brdge was built 106 years ago, and carried both road and rail traffic until about 6 years ago when a road bypass bridge was built.
TocumwalBridge03.JPG

The centre lift span is hand operated and was last opened 6 years ago to celebrate the centenary. It was originally raised to allow the river steamers to pass.
TocumwalBridge04.JPG

This bridge is featured on my webpage http://www.homepages.ihug.com.au/~niceboys as it was in 1974 and home movie of 1970.

TocumwalBridge05.JPG

The pylons are cast iron filled with concrete to 30' below the river bed and splayed 11' out to support the weight.

TOOT!

[This message has been edited by Woodie (edited 06-19-2001).]

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Woodie,
What a nice lot of pictures to gladden an old mans heart,as you know I am a "bridge freek" and that really made it race.
Wonder if the counter weights on each colunm add up to the weight of the moving span,other wise the guy turning the handle would wind up with a heart attack (no Pun Intended) Would love to have all the Tecnical aspects ,looks like awonderful piece of Engineering Thanks

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Thanks guys,

The pub (in previous pics) had a data sheet on the bridge and history and specs, however did not have a phtostater. I should have written it down. Thought I owuld get similar info off the net, but alas. No info. That info was just the bits I could remember.
And Jimmy? More bridges coming up!

TOOT!

[This message has been edited by Woodie (edited 06-15-2001).]