Picture thread of your Logging, Mining, or unique industrial equipment.

Bill Nelson

look back two pictures on the left side you can see the piece of brass that has what looks like a pin head formed on it. these are from the eye and loop set from the jewelry section at Hobby lobby.

Bill Nelson

Sawdust

Fantastic job on those tongs! My Dad use to tell me "Cain't never did nothin" The first time I heard that I asked him who was Cain't. He said "never mind, he never did nothin". I always felt like if someone else can do it why can't I do it. Like you said show the stuff that works & hide the stuff that didn't but we still learned something.

Bill Nelson

SMLplntngSP#1.jpg planting #1 Surry parker

getting ready to plant Surry Parker # one on the landing @ Terrapin Tn, on the Mountain Division of the DG CC & W RR, I drilled little holes in the bottom of the wooden legs, and glued little brass wires into the holes. Then holes were drilled in the new wooden decking over the ties on the landing @ Terrapin @ the proper places to recieve the pins. Once the Surry Parker was in place, I leveled it as best I could, and snuck a blob of white glue between the back side of each leg and the frame @ the leg pocket, further stablizing what was once kind of wobbly. looking at the prototype photo's them legs look mighty inadaquate.

My camera is discharging it's batteries , more photos later.

Last edited:

Sawdust

Looking good Bill especially on the metal details. The proto legs do look very inadequate but by the time this thing gets anchored down by lateral bracing cables to stumps, trees, stakes or whatever didn't move this thing is & had to be very dependable. Actually the only force on these legs was a downward pressure to the ground. The only thing I was wondering about on your model, was why you didn' put the middle legs on the sides. It's been a fascinating project you can be very proud of.

Bill Nelson

I've not seen a prototype photo that showed the midle legs, nor have I seen plans that show the middle legs. I have seen a really nice looking model that had middle legs, but its frame had construction details that also differed from the plans of the one drum style unit, which were published in the NG&SLG article, or prototype photographs in that article and from various books, in which the second type appears to be very similar to the first type in as far as the frame construction goes.

The model I have seen with the extra legs looks more solid, and as well as the extra legs there is an extra beam on the side of the frame. This doesn't match any photos I have seen. Perhaps the modeler had acess to photos of a variation I havn't seen, or perhaps he looked at something like what I'm building, decided it was spindlely; which it is, and beefed it up .

Now I built mine without as much research as I would do if I was making a contest model, or designing a kit for sale, but I don't trust the extra legs or the extra beams. I have seen some other errors on some pretty fantastic Models of Surry Parkers. Mide have some errors I know about, and they probably have some I don't know about as well, so I'm not trusting another's modeling to be acurate either.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

SMLmcnryfrms.jpg machinery frames

I have done some work on the beefed up machinery frames. Unit #2 is in the photo, # 1 is up on the landing in terrapin. I wont tie it down in that position until both are done, as I will want some good photo's of them together to comemorate having built two of them, which will rate way up there on my list of sucessfull RR projects, along with my Big Donkey Project, and the C & S #1 project.

In this photo the white styrene I beams get lost in the light. The latice work is a half of a smaller beam segment from a Central Valley through truss bridge. The detail on those bridges is awesome, but be advised, it is a true craftsman kit, that just happens to be mostly plastic. The plastic girder sections, which build up from two halfs, so they can have the lacy lattice work, all have to be cut to size and mitered to fit, A gruesome process, but it makes every other plastic girder bridge look like cheap Junk. They sell the girgers seperatly. I did some kitbashing of my CV bridge ( the Southern's Mainline crossing the lower reaches of Crooked Creek) and got some extra to support that project. great stuff for modeling steel.

With this second machinery frame, I can start to assemble the other boiler and winch together , and work on piping; that and the hinges for the adjustable roof wings are the hardest tasks left that I know about. I painted some wood to make some beams to go under the water tanks, so as I said I getting really close. I need to put together the Rio Grande Models 18 inch pullies I have, and see if they will be suitable. I'm thinking they will be cause if they aren't then I will be back to scratching something, I'll need to study the prototype photos I have (not good they are fuzzy) and the model photo's and see how I'll attach the two pullies to each tower. there may be some fudging going on there, and also the towers seem to have been tied down as well, but the prototype photo's are not clear, and the way some of the models are rigged make no sence; So I'll have to see if I can do better.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

SMLmachineryRTP!.jpg SMLmachineryRTP!.jpg 2 machinery units almost ready to paint!

These two machinery units are almost ready to paint! all that remains is to add some rivited plates to the I-beam frames.

I have an old Atlas plate girder bridge from the club that I'm going to cut up for a bridge I building there, and some of the scraps will yield lots of wonderful rivited plates for this and many other projects. then I have to experiment with painting, and the right amount of weathering to show detail, as you can see with the unit that is black, a lot of detail is invisible, and that won't do.

They are getting close!

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

SMLSP#1 tf@TTN..jpg Sp #1 @ terrapin

HERE it is where it will go! the little brass pin in the legs hold that left front leg, that always wanted to go crooked on me straight!

Bill Nelson

Did I say these are getting close?

Last edited:

Mountain Man

My wife just had surgery and has to inject herself twice a day. Imagine all the raw materials I am accumulating, and I don't even want to build boilers! :mrgreen:

I'll have to find something worthwhile to use the stuff on. :cool:

Bill Nelson

Things to use them om

I remember way back in the dawn of time RMC I think, had an article written by this guy who had a log ging outfit. He used individual log loads (I glue my log loads together-they shifted too much when they were loose causing accidents: an unnessasary risk on an 8.5% grade). He used two syringes back to back, with tubing between them and water in the tubing to make a hydrolicly operated log unloader @ his log dump.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

SMLcutupatlasbridge.jpg SMLrivited plates.jpg making rivited plates

I'm working on rivited plates by using parts of this ancient atlas plate girder bridge.
Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

SMLpntdsyrblr.jpg after some spray paint

it looks like this

I start out painting it all over with red auto body primer, after that is dry I paint it again with red auto body primer, and dust it with black and dark and light grey, while the red primer is still wet, so the paintspaits mix on the work

this photo taken outside in the bright sunlight looks redder than it does inside

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

SMLdblemachryamstrdy.jpg two machinery platforms

I got two machinery platforms almost ready. they just need to have the steam gauge needle painted in, and then get grey button thread wrapped around the drums. very close to going on the loaders

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

steamhead

Will wonders never cease...??!! Fantastic job on that crane and those machinery platforms....:thumb:

Question...What do the boilers use for fuel..??

Bill Nelson

Some used oil. In California there was a state law requiring woods equipment and locomotives to burn oil, to reduce the risk of fire, and to promote the well conected oil industry.

Down in the woods of the south, almost all of this stuff was wood fired, as will be the case. limbs, crooked places in the trunks, unmerchanrtable species that were in the way, anything that wouldn't make a good saleable log, got cut up fore firewood to feed the boilers.

At one time I modeled the 1890's 100% of my locomotives were woodburning, As I became more interested in logging my time frame migrated to the late 30's, and I retained the 100% woodburning fleet.

Through exploring operational opportunities with Dr, Tom Our time frame migated backwards to the late 20's, so that we could enjoy the greater operational oportunities presented by the booming peak of operations in our neck of the woods, rather than the slow struggling pace of the last feeble efforts to get the last few logs to the mill and cut up before closing down.

That change of time period has had a lot of unforseen repercusions. Locomotives, cars, and buildings, would all be better maintained. As part of the gradual shopping of my locomotives to clean them up, I am convering some of my road locomotives to coal, in keeping with the general practices of big outfints like mine in this region. The mill switcher will still be a woodburner , having a lot of free fuel in the slabs. Also the woods engines will be woodburners, lots of wood laying around, and labor is cheap.

If there was a coal mine on my RR, that would tip the ballance, and more stuff might be coal fired.

In any case I like the looks of the piles of wood by the boiler.

Bill Nelson

ytter_man

That red/black primer combo looks spectacular on your boiler and winches :thumb:

I'm guessing your donkeys will be wood fired as well? Plenty of wood out there, as you mentioned.

Bill Nelson

more pieces

That red/black primer combo looks spectacular on your boiler and winches :thumb:

I'm guessing your donkeys will be wood fired as well? Plenty of wood out there, as you mentioned.

I loive the red primer/flat black paint trick, have even done it on locomotives with a little light grey mixed in. I have to find a better light gray though, my current can looks to close to white, so I have not been using it the machinery will probably get a light dry brushing of gray to highlight some of the details, like the rivetsSMLbrrngfrmtb.jpg SML4scrbrshks.jpg on the frame plates that tend to disappear in the shadows.

I played with some brass this morning, working on hooks, and trying to see if I can make better brass rings for the tongs

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

SMLhks&tngs.jpg Hooks & Tongs

I got hooks and tongs ready for a bath in the chemical blackener.

I have to go do some 1-1 work, I've got the microshakes!

Bill Nelson

Last edited: