Picture thread of your Logging, Mining, or unique industrial equipment.

Bill Nelson

Smlmkgplyprts.jpg SMLplyprts&skrwjks.jpg Parts is parts

Very cold morning, My wife is working today @ the Children's hospital, taking care of the boys and girls with heart problems. She gets up around 4:30 am, and I was up before that loading the woodstoves, making tea and a sandwich for her. When she was gone, I had a worm spot in the kitchen, so I moved my work board in there.

I experimented with turning wooden pulley parts from a dowel chucked in a cordless drill with a grinding wheel in a dremil as a cutter. I also documented the last screw jack before it goes together.

These homemade pulleys have promose, as I may try to make some bigger ones to see if they will work on my R/C boats which could save me some $$ at a time my hobby budget is strapped. and I am facing possible massive future expendatures (it looks like MMI is going to make the 3 foot gauge 4-4-0, and I have two reserved in HOn3 and one in On3. the three could take a year and a half's train budget, fortunately I did not spend all of last years.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

you don't know the half of it

making these parts out of brass is so much funwall1wall1wall1wall1wall1wall1wall1:curse:

Bill Nelson

Doctor G

making these parts out of brass is so much funwall1wall1wall1wall1wall1wall1wall1:curse:

Bill Nelson
Hang in there Bill you are doing a great job!!!!
Here's a few shots from the Terrapin website to help keep you inspired.
Doc Tom:thumb:

Attachments

• BD_SurreyParker_Front.jpg
    BD_SurreyParker_Front.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 33
  • BD_SurreyParker_Side.jpg
    BD_SurreyParker_Side.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 33

Bill Nelson

Sml SP frmup.jpg SMLS-Pplycrks.jpg That's the animal!

Thats the animal! That builder interpeted the photos differently than I do in some areas, especially where theskidding tower attaches to the cross brace but it looks nice. My photos show only one pulley hanging off the skidder tower, so that's what I'm doing. this is what my 1st one looks like right now.

Interesting that that comes from the Terrapin sire, as mine is going to be the loader @ Terrapin Tn.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Sawdust

:wave:Bill
I liked the idea of turning those wooden dowels on the dremel. I just posted a new thread in the TIPS & TRICKS on how I make bolt heads spinning on the dremel.What would we do without the Dremel? :thumb: Jim

Doctor G

Question about the "Sary" Parker

Bill et al,
Here is a photo from the Little River RR website that really has me scratching my head.

It is entitled "Surrey Parker loader".....also called a "Sary Parker" loader. However it does not look like any of the plans or models I have seen. Is it a later edition or is it just plain mislabelled at the LRRR website?

Doc Tom:p

Attachments

• SurreyParker.jpg
    SurreyParker.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 16

Bill Nelson

Tom, that loader has a fixed beam, and seems to be on the same level as the cars, the pivoting beam and the ability to be raised up above the cars to allow the empties to pass below the loader are the the signature features of the Surry Parker, and that beast has neither. also it doesn't have the big bulky braces A the four corners that hold the posts for leveling .

My guess is that it is a homemade flatcar mounted skidder, with the fixed beam. and without the pass feature, it probably wouldn't be an efficient loader, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't used as one , but unless it had a seperate track passing under the boom, in could only load one car at a time.

Modeling easten operations, we are left with lots of puzzels. There isn't enough documentation. Studying photographs I can now make out that second pulley on the tall skidding boom of the two drum Surry parker, but that doesn't make any sense, unless the drum was dicided, . with two cables and two pullies to skid two logs at a time, or w did they have a haulback system, so they wouln't need horwes or mules to drag the empty cable back to the woods.

So, we will have a big question once I get these things built How do we rig them? Mine , at least will only pull logs from the pile next to my big donkey, a foot ot so up onto the landing, and load them, so I won't even have to pretend that my set up is the usual set up.

I'll have to check my Dad's text books, but if I'm not mistaken, they just have western practices. Eastern Loggers didn't need no stinking diploma! ( My dad A.W. Nelson jr. had a degree in Forrestry from Idaho, a Masters from Yale, and an honorary doctorate from Idaho, Helped set up the Forrestry program at Ole Miss, and taught part time @ Auburn.

Also at least one of Little river's Surry Parkers looked pretty strange, while retaining some of the charicteristic looks. Was it just rebuilt, ir was it a homemade copy ? The good lord alone knows what they did to them when they turned them into incline machines!

I once toyed with the idea of putting in an incline off of the upper track at the back side of Harlow, where the tannery is going to go. the actuall incline would have gone where my shelfs are against the eastern wall of the RR room. It would have required the track to wander onto the window seat under the skylight.

Having an incline would be cool, running logtrains out of Harlow would be cool; but it would leave me very little room for engine facilities in Harlow, operations in Harlow are a nightmare without logtrains, and I couldn't figure out where to nut that **** that is on those shelfs, so for once I did the uncomplicated thing, and did not build the incline. If I want log trains out of Harlow the riverboat will have to bring in a bargefull, and load the log cars directly on the mainline, by the river.

(in this edit, let me note, that years later, rebuilding my RR, Harlow is now in the middle of my railroad, and log trains will indeed be rolling through downtown harlow! Also the ruling grade on the mountain has been reduced to 3.3% grade, so those log trains can be longer!)

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Doctor G

Tom, that loader has a fixed beam, and seems to be on the same level as the cars, the pivoting beam and the ability to be raised up above the cars to allow the empties to pass below the loader are the the signature features of the Surry Parker, and that beast has neither. also it doesn't have the big bulky braces A the four corners that hold the posts for leveling .

My guess is that it is a homemade flatcar mounted skidder, with the fixed beam. and without the pass feature, it probably wouldn't be an efficient loader, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't used as one , but unless it had a seperate track passing under the boom, in could only load one car at a time.

Bill Nelson

Hey Bill,

Thanks for your always well thought out insight on logging RR's. In looking at that LRRR picture I did not think it looked right. Your model and the article i n the past Narrow Guage and Gazette sure nicely detail a different beast.

Looks like the Little River RR used a lot of "Clyde" skidders/loaders.....perhaps your next project??:twisted:??:twisted:??:twisted:??
Peace, Dr Tom

Bill Nelson

SML SPhdfrtstft.jpg Next project?

No I don't think so.

reason # 1 where would it go?

reason #2 where would I get plans or good info?

The surry parker I imagined as soon as I built my big Donkey project, when I was trying to figure how to get the logs up that last 30 feet.

I've seen pictures of Barnhardts doing similar work, but they look a little overworked up there. So I envisioned a Surry Parker up there but didn't have good info. the Gazzette article gave me the info, but when I'm gone with this I'll try to mork on stuff in the RR room (if it's warmer by then).

On the equipment front I have another Rio Grande Models Dohlbeer which the skid is built, but nothing else, and I also have one of their A H & D log loader kits which possibly could replace the kitbashed monstrosity up in Ridgemont.

down in that same drawer I have a bunch of keystone stuff, a band saw edgers, cut off saws, live rollers and dead rollers , all oF which could turn my B-S Lumber Co mill into an even more impressive model, but as soon as it's warm enough to go up there, I need to work on ground cover on the back side of Harlow, and do some scenic work in Montgomery frunace, and getting the narrow guge staging @ GegouKayoosa and my Southern staging civilized would be huge operationally.

After this I want to do some easy stuff!

Or open the locomotive shops #7 (MDC shay) growls unaceptably !8 PFM Shay has a gear loose on a shaft My Bachman Climax needs it's front universal fixed (do those trucks pop off like the O gauge ones do?), I got two brass consolidations tore apart- my NWSL Sierra #8 (?) and a PFM MA & PA from Mack's collectiion, that could use some repair/upgrade work.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

SMLNEXEXCPRTS.jpg not exactly intterchangable parts

one of the booms fit too tight, the other had some slack, , by swapping out the boom and the cross brace , they both have a good fit.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Doctor G

one of the booms fit too tight, the other had some slack, , by swapping out the boom and the cross brace , they both have a good fit.

Bill Nelson

Looking good, Bill. Very good workmanship. Very Good Photos of progress so far.

Doc Tom:thumb:

Bill Nelson

SML-SP TDP.jpg SML-SP TDP.jpg Making the tie down pulley

I have been working on the tie down pulley on the cross brace on unit # 1 . I got the straps made and filed clean. once I get them chemically blackened and bolted down I'll be able to fasten the cross brace and boom to the frame, and start to play with the vertical brace fit and the skid tower.

This piece of foam core makes an excellent photography backdrop.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Bill Nelson

SMLdonepllys.jpg tie down pulleys

got them done. Just need the NBW castings an the back side and this cross brace will be ready to erect.

I may delay a little to be sure there is nothing left to do to the frame that would be easier without the cross brace and boom attached.

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Doctor G

Looking good Bill!! Very impressive workmanship.

I like all the handcrafted parts you are making for this model......the true "scratchbuider."
Doc Tom:mrgreen:

Bill Nelson

I'm thinking

I'm thinking these pulleys are grossly oversize, but I'm running with them.

As for the scratchbuiding, that is going out of the window when it comes to machinery.

I'll study the RGM web site & pick a boiler and a winch that might be about the right size.

also Eric makes good pulleys & tongs, although I'd really like working tongs, although those would have to be scratched, which will be hard but worth it to have a log hanging from from the tongs.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

sml #1skpkts&trnbkls.jpg smlskdtwrstr.jpg more progress on the S-Ps

made some progress, have to stop, been looking through an optivisor too long

Bill Nelson

Last edited:

Doctor G

made some progress, have to stop, been looking through an optivisor too long

Bill Nelson
Hi Bill,

Looking very good.

Here are some more pics from the Terapin Narrow guage site. Do these pictures help as far as rigging this beast???

Doc Tom:p

Attachments

• BD_SurreyParker_Side.jpg
    BD_SurreyParker_Side.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 31
  • BD_SurreyParker_FrontDet.jpg
    BD_SurreyParker_FrontDet.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 33
  • BD_SurreyParker_LS.jpg
    BD_SurreyParker_LS.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 29
  • BD_SurreyParker_RS.jpg