Picture thread of your Logging, Mining, or unique industrial equipment.

NIevo

Thought since this section is kinda dead lately we should start a thread where you can post all of your equipment specific to this forum. Whether it be rolling stock, a unique or scratchbuilt industry, or a custom locomotive. Basically anything you don't see in model photo's every day of the week. Even if you just want to post your fleet of log and woodchip cars, or nice string of mining cars. Would also give people the opportunity to ask questions about unique or hard to find items related to this topic. I know I've spent many hours trying to find photos of log cars with the high bunks.

I'll get some pictures of my logging and forest products equipment up by tonight. In the meantime post away!

NIevo

Alright, here's a few to get started.

This is a example of the log bunk cars I am going to be building based off the prototype's on the Camas Prairie in North Idaho. The bunks are just set on there so you can see what it will look like, then just paint and small details left:thumb:
sept07024tl5.jpg

Here are a couple shots of my lumber hauling fleet, these are just the ones assembled and ready to go. My complete roster is:

3 BN Centerbeam flats from McKean
1 BN Centerbeam flat from Front Range
4 UP Centerbeam flats from Front Range
1 UP Centerbeam flat from McKean
1 WP Centerbeam flat from McKean
1 CP Centerbeam flat from McKean
1 MW Centerbeam flat from McKean
1 UP Centerbeam flat from Walthers
2 BN Bulkhead flats from MDC
1 UP GSC flat from Walthers
1 NP GSC flat from Walthers

sept07026mv8.jpg

sept07028pv8.jpg

NIevo

Here are some of the assembled Woodchip cars. Complete roster is:

2 BN Walthers
1 BN LBF
1 UP E&C
3 NP E&C
2 GN Walthers
1 GN E&C
1 WP Walthers
1 Southern E&C
1 Santa Fe E&C
Think I'm missing some :confused:

sept07029ef1.jpg

sept07030fo9.jpg

NIevo

Last but not least, my logging cars. Most are still in the building stage. Once complete here will be the roster and what they are built from:

6 BN Walthers 45' Logging Flats
3 UP Walthers 45' Logging Flats
2 BN logging flats from 40' Athearn cars
2 UP logging flats from 50' Athearn cars
6 NP logging flats from 50' Athearn car
1 BN logging flat from 50' Athearn car
5 UP logging flats from 40' Accurail gondola's

sept07031mu4.jpg

sept07032cs8.jpg

Great idea for a thread starter. Nice rolling stock that reminds me of what I see around here (Longview/Kelso, WA - Weyerhauser RR stuff). You seem to have captured the look.

N

nachoman

here is an ore car I scratchbuilt out of illustration board. I've got 3 more under construction - they just need a few more details - but somehow they have been on the workbench for more than a year :wave:

Kevin

Attachments

• orecar.jpg
    orecar.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 61

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
This is a modification I did to an Athearn "Hustler". It's used by the shipyard to move standard gauge rolling stock, for transfer of load to the narrow gauge.

Attachments

• hstlr3.jpg
    hstlr3.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 59

roughneck

Small Stuff

I enjoyed the pictures of the big stuff but here is some of the little logging equipment. Boxcab used on the Black Fly Lumber and some homemade disconnects.

David F

Attachments

• boxcablogger.jpg
    boxcablogger.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 109
  • disconnects.jpg
    disconnects.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 45

shaygetz

Great pictures and thread idea:thumb:

My kitbashed HOn30 0-6-0 and its scratchbuilt bobber, used to deliver goods from the Delmarva Peninsula to Philly and Baltimore in my cross dimensional rift...

060porter2a.jpg

sept07024tl5.jpg

How did you get it so you can see the chassis/framework beneathe the deck? Is that an Athearn with the deck removed? I have a need to make a flat car with the frame visible so when some of the deck planks are missing the frame can be seen...

65203d1204600952t-orecar.jpg

Nice!!!

66866d1207499112t-hstlr3.jpg

I'd like to see more about this loco and what you did to it...

Dave

KentBy

GN, NP, SP&S

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I'd like to see more about this loco and what you did to it...

Dave,
First, I repowered it with a NWSL "PDT" for the Athearn Hustler.
The body is basic hustler, with Athearn S-12 steps, and scratch built railings. The forward half of the side windows were blanked out, small sand boxes added, Air tank and cooling coils were scratched, the radiator fan was replaced (I can't remember which manufacturer, but it is a "dynamic brake" fan), and a new stack, built from brass tubing. I added rail wipers to help the electrical pick-up. Detail Associates coupler lift bars were added, and then it was painted and lettered.
I haven't gone DCC yet, the hood is packed with "press-on" lead weights, I'd have to remove some to make room for a decoder.
Pete

CNWman

CNW Fan
Dave,
First, I repowered it with a NWSL "PDT" for the Athearn Hustler.
The body is basic hustler, with Athearn S-12 steps, and scratch built railings. The forward half of the side windows were blanked out, small sand boxes added, Air tank and cooling coils were scratched, the radiator fan was replaced (I can't remember which manufacturer, but it is a "dynamic brake" fan), and a new stack, built from brass tubing. I added rail wipers to help the electrical pick-up. Detail Associates coupler lift bars were added, and then it was painted and lettered.
I haven't gone DCC yet, the hood is packed with "press-on" lead weights, I'd have to remove some to make room for a decoder.
Pete

Wait, you have a Hustler with weights in it? Could you post a pic of how you did it if possible? My Hustler is in need of weight, but the motor takes up most of the room in there. This is my Hustler:
Picture_0463.JPG

Still needs some glass in the head/rear lights and windows, plus grab irons.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Wait, you have a Hustler with weights in it? Could you post a pic of how you did it if possible? My Hustler is in need of weight, but the motor takes up most of the room in there.

Looks Good! The "PDT" is a motor/gearbox/wheels and axles unit that fits in the Hustler frame, and replaces the original. There is, as a result, open space in the carbody.
I am also trying to modify an Athearn "SD" power truck's wheelbase to match the Hustler"s. I'll then add a small can motor directly to the worm shaft. If done right it should work. :mrgreen::twisted:
If it does work, I have devious plans.......:twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:

The NWSL part # is 37080-4; PDT II, HO 13'-3" wheel base, Hustler power truck. $84.95 ea. .
Page 1: NWSL Tools, Thrust washers, Prime mover re-power kits, Locomotive driver springs, Shaft, axle material, Tool parts, PDT self powered trucks is the page.
NWSL Home their site, and FRM2NWSL@aol.com or info@NWSL.com is their email.
Pete

shaygetz

Thank you for the kind words, Kent.

My Athearn Hustler has been re-geared with an A-Line/Ernst motor and gear setup. I permanently coupled two frames together and added JayBee wheelsets for better power pick up. I have two bodies for the second loco, which has also had its motor removed. One is a stock silver body, the other is this road slug I bashed from a Bachmann moving van. I plan a steeplecab electric body as a third alternative for the one remaining shell in my project parts box.

hustler2a.jpg

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I have two bodies for the second loco, which has also had its motor removed. One is a stock silver body, the other is this road slug I bashed from a Bachmann moving van.

:cool::thumb::cool: I like the "slug"!!!
I removed the cab from one of my hustlers, and replaced it with the nose of one of the S-12 shells. Have to do handrails etc. and paint. pics, when done.