Pics from my tinplate layout

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Dave Farquhar, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I've been working on making a layout consisting of as many tin buildings as I can, just to be different. I really need to work on the lighting in my basement, as these pics show. Or get more light on the layout so that it's self-lighting. :)

[​IMG]

Here's part of the residential district. I just noticed some of my construction debris still scattered about. In the foreground are some early postwar tinplate houses made by H&H Manufacturing of Pittsburgh. In the back you can see a corner of a tinplate house by Skyline, of Philadelphia. These look equally good with Lionel postwar, prewar tinplate, or Marx tinplate trains. I had a postwar boxcar that belonged to my dad flanked by some more recent production Lionel O27 on the track at the time I snapped the picture.

[​IMG]

Here's my commercial district. The couple are pewter figures. The man is a Bowser, I don't know who made the woman figure. The Ferris Wheel is a modern reproduction. The buildings are mostly Christmas tins.
  2. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

Dave - Very Very Nice aussie
  3. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Tom, from you that's a high compliment. For what it's worth, my trackplan is based on your circus layout trackplan. I just widened it to 8x8 and made the inner loop out of Marx O34 track. Yours is all O42, right?
  4. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

HI DAve,

My circus layout for those who don't know is 5' x 8'. The outer loop is 042 and all the others is 027 including all switches

Here is the track plan

[​IMG]

:wave:
  5. wrmcclellan

wrmcclellan Member

Dave - very cool!
  6. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Thanks.

Stretching Tom's trackplan out to 8x8, I was able to do an O42 outer loop and Marx O34 (which is O27 profile) inner loop. I eliminated the S curve on the left, because that better fit the track pieces I had available. Most of my switches are Marx O27; I had one working Marx O34 switch so I used it in the upper right.

It makes for a nice layout and my Marx trains, which run like jackrabbits, do a lot better on the broad O42 curves than they do on tight O27s. At high speed, they can very easily fly off an O27 curve.