**PIC HEAVY** Bad day gone.... GOOD!!!!

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by LocoIndy76, Jun 4, 2007.

1. LocoIndy76

LocoIndy76 Member

Had to go to my wifes work to help her pack up all her stuff. She is resigning from being a special education teacher since she is pregnant and she wanted to be in a less physical environment. She works in Anderson and it is a 1.5hr round trip and I usually spend my morning relaxing because I work 2nd shift + 4hrs OT. Today I would be using most of that time helping her. However on the way home(just outside her school) I saw this train leaving the 29th and Madison St. yard!!! The consist was 2 CSX engines and about 30-40 hoppers. It backed 9 miles to a grain elevator in Emporia, In. There was a man riding on the steps on the front car and there was a man in a red Chevy with a red flag that met it at all unmarked(i.e. not lights or crossbars) crossing!!!!! It was pretty cool! Here’s the pics!!!!

[​IMG]

Stopped for a second… Blocking about 3 crossings.. Not sure why???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here we go again!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another crossing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heres the elevator. I didn’t have time to wait on the train.. Had to get home to get ready for work… If you look REALLY closely there is a guy in this old switcher warming it up to take over for the two CSX engines!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

2. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Looks like some sort of Alco S-series... and does it have a low-clearance cab?
  3. railohio

railohio Active Member

I don't recall seeing any identification on the unit the last time I was there, but it appears to be ex-Southern Indiana, or at least of the same heritage as their 103.
  4. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

Emporia Grain's Alco S2 switcher was originally the Lehigh & New England 611. It was the first of 6 Alco S2 switchers acquired by the LNE. (The LNE was a small, eastern Pennsylvania, coal-hauling railroad that was abandoned in 1961) This Alco S2 may well be the only diesel on the LNE roster that remains in existence.

[​IMG]
  5. LocoIndy76

LocoIndy76 Member

Yep, that's it!!! :thumb: Cool!
  6. LocoIndy76

LocoIndy76 Member

Developed 35mm and here are little better pics of switcher. Now you can definitly see the person in the cab! ;D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Go Big1

Go Big1 Member

Great railfanning shots. It is way cool to see that old Alco still getting a workout!