Photos of the EAA Museum's Paper Models Exhibit

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by sakrison, Jun 24, 2007.

1. sakrison

sakrison Member

Four years ago, the curator at the EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh, WI offered me two display cases for a Paper Models Exhibit. He said I could have them for "about six months." The display has been up for four years. Curator Alan Westby told me recently, "People spend as much time looking at this [paper model] exhibit as any other exhibit in the museum. They are fascinated by the paper models." That's saying a lot--this museum is loaded with fascinating exhibits!

The Paper Models Exhibit is located in a high-traffic area in the museum's Restoration Shop, just off the main gallery. A few feet away is a full-size replica of the "Spirit of St. Louis." Each July, during the week-long Oshkosh AirVenture fly-in, 250,000 visitors pass through this museum.

Alan wants the exhibit to stay and I'm working with him on plans to rotate more models through the exhibit. There is also a possibility of expanding the exhibit to include one or two horizontal display cases.

A few weeks ago, I promised new pictures, since the photos at http://www.cardmodelers.org/eaa/eaa-1.htm are somewhat out of date. Here, in the next few posts, are the photos, taken 16 June 2007. I'm looking for some new models for the exhibit, for this year's fly-in; if you are interested, contact me at sakrison@charter.net.

Cheers,
    --David

Attached Files:

2. sakrison

sakrison Member

Photos: EAA Paper Models Exhibit -- Post 1 of 4

Photos: EAA Paper Models Exhibit -- Post 1 of 4

Attached Files:

3. sakrison

sakrison Member

Photos: EAA Paper Models Exhibit -- Post 2 of 4

Photos: EAA Paper Models Exhibit -- Post 2 of 4

Attached Files:

4. sakrison

sakrison Member

Photos: EAA Paper Models Exhibit -- Post 3 of 4

Photos: EAA Paper Models Exhibit -- Post 3 of 4

Attached Files:

5. Clashster

Clashster Member

Very cool, David! Great representation of the different levels of design and difficulty! Thanks for the update!

Chris
  6. sakrison

sakrison Member

Photos: EAA Paper Models Exhibit -- Post 4 of 4

Photos: EAA Paper Models Exhibit -- Post 4 of 4

In the second-to-last photo in this group, ModelArt's Emil Zarkov, modeler Bob Mueller, and Emil's son are inspecting the Paper Models Exhibit at the Museum. Emil, who lives in Sofia, Bulgaria, was in Randolph, WI for his son's wedding. (His son and daughter-in-law met as students at Kent State University in Ohio.) Emil called me and we arranged to meet in Oshkosh. With him were his wife Elena, his two sons, his brand-new daughter-in-law, and her parents.

We had a wonderful lunch at a superb Mexican restaurant, talked a lot about paper models, and then spent two hours at the EAA Museum. Bob Mueller, a paper modeler from Milwaukee and a great admirer of Emil's work (as am I), met us at the museum and toured with us. Emil clearly enjoyed himself at the museum. (So did everyone else.)

The last photo is of Emil in front of one of his (and my) favorite airplanes, a P-38, in the markings of America's Top Ace, Richard Bong.

For me it was a wonderful opportunity to meet and talk with a designer whose paper model kits are arguably among the best available anywhere. Not surprisingly, Emil is a very pleasant fellow to talk with. And it was really a treat to meet his whole family. I had a wonderful time!!

When it comes right down to it, the world is a pretty small place after all.

No worries,
    --David

Attached Files:

7. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

sakrison
    Did you build all of those? If not, can you name any builders? Can you advise of any specifics of the kits? Very cool pics and display! Not that I believe anything I build would be good enough, but can anyone donate a built kit?
  8. sakrison

sakrison Member

I didn't build all of them. Four years ago, I asked for volunteers and got models from a dozen builders. A few of the models are contest quality; most are not--they're just good work by ordinary modelers, one of whom is a docent at the museum. He, John Larson, has several kits in the exhibit.

If you have a model you'd like to offer, by all means, send me pix -- to sakrison@charter.net.

If you have questions about specific models in the exhibit, I'll do my best. I never expected the display to last for four years and I'm no longer sure who built what or where the kits came from. But I'll try.

No worries,
    --David
  9. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

David,

I'd seen pictures of your exhibit on other aircraft-related websites. I didn't know it was one of our fellow cardmodels.net (zealot...excuse me) modelers who was involved.

EXCELLENT exhibit ! I'm sure it is quite inspiring to kids and adults alike who see the models up close. Although I had been building plastic since I was 4 years old, seeing the model exhibit at Chino's Planes of Fame really got me excited as a young modeler.

Keep up the truly great work, and thanks for sharing with us.
  10. sakrison

sakrison Member

Steve,
    Thanks for your comments. I'm hoping the exhibit will seduce a few p*****c modelers over to the Dark Side. One of the things I plan to add to the exhibit is a text panel that talks about Paper Models as a "green" hobby -- paper being a renewable and easily recycled resource.
    --David
  11. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

David,

I completely agree with you. With the advent of computers, printers, and free software on the net, it's so easy for kids (or adult "KIDS" like me) to design / create their own models if they only give it a try.
  12. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

High-Class Venue; Higher Class Work !

David: You are a lucky fellow to be involved with this prestigious institution!!

Regards from Canada!

Jim
  13. sakrison

sakrison Member

Jim,
    I've been writing for the EAA museum and EAA publications off and on since 1989, for both temporary and permanent exhibits. I feel very privileged to have contributed in a very small way to the making of this world-class museum. Over the years, I've spent hundreds of hours in the museum and I still find things on display that I didn't know were there. It's a treat!

To everyone on this forum, if you ever get the chance to visit Oshkosh, don't miss the museum. It's open all year round. Let me know that you're coming and I'll try to meet you there. I'm only 20 minutes away. In the meantime, you can visit online at EAA AirVenture Museum - Oshkosh, WI.

No worries,
    --David
  14. cecil.severs

cecil.severs New Member

David,

Thanks for the pics updates! Just the inspiration I needed to get back to the Stearman build for the new cases.

Looks like the Ryan PT-16 and SpaceShip One are holding up pretty well, though the spinner on the Ryan might be a bit dinged. Let me know if it needs replacing. If if does I'll probably need to get the prop back so I can get the right scale since I usually just print and build whatever's convenient scale wise.

Thanks again for putting this exhibit together. A few hundred more models and you'll be a regular Harry Davidson.

Cecil
  15. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

David,
    Now that the 2007 EAA Airventure is done, I am wondering if you did get the museum model cases rearranged (and if you would be so kind as to share a few more pictures)
    -Jim G
  16. sakrison

sakrison Member

I added a few new models just before AirVenture. Immediately after AirVenture, I took off on a much-needed vacation. I'm back on the planet now and waiting for a few more new models for the exhibit. When those come, I'll rearrange the cases (again) and take some more pictures. Stay tuned.

--David
  17. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

David, please check your PM.

Thanks.
  18. sakrison

sakrison Member

A member asked by PM what it takes to submit models for the exhibit. Here, for general consumption, is the e-mail I sent him.

Models for the exhibit must be aviation or aerospace related. There's a general limit on size, since the cases aren't huge. I also prefer models without diorama bases--the shelves are glass. Any diorama or large solid base would have to go on the bottom shelf.

Let me know if you have models you would like to send or would like to build for the exhibit. Pictures would be helpful. The work doesn't have to be contest quality, I just want to save you from duplicating someone else's effort.

I'm hoping to rotate a few new models in and out every few months. I've also talked with the curator about a possible model contest and he's receptive. We'll talk again when he's had a chance to recover from AirVenture. (Most of the full-time EAA staff works 26 days straight before and during the annual convention.) As I mentioned earlier in one of my posts, he wants to keep the exhibit and keep it fresh.

As for shipping models, most of them have come to me by US Mail. Burying them in packing "popcorn" seems to work best. One model came buried in popcorn in an inner box, then packed in crumpled newspaper in an outer box. A few people created elaborate cradles to hold the models inside a box. Marking the box with "FRAGILE--MUSEUM EXHIBIT" might not help, but it can't hurt. I'm not sure what problems you might have getting it all through US Customs [if you're mailing from outside the US]. I guess my advice there would be: mail it from the US if you can.

The models become the property of the EAA museum. Trying to keep track of who sent what and the cost of shipping them back to their builders (which I would have to pay personally) makes it impractical to accept models "on loan."

If that all works for you, I'd be delighted to see what you have to offer. Thank you for your interest!

Cheers,
    --David