Photos of my diorama

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Finally finished...23x23 inches of HO goodness. It's non-functional but was definitely an education in scenery techniques...

overhead.jpg

An overhead plan view, showing the general track plan from above.
quarterview.jpg

quarterview2.jpg

quarterview3.jpg

Three views from the corner showing most or all of the diorama.
roundhouse.jpg

Close-up of part of the roundhouse and turntable.
turntable.jpg

Close-up of the turntable and water tower.
workbench.jpg

Close-up of a workbench and workers on one side of the roundhouse.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
TomPM said:
The stone retaining wall, how was it made and waht did you use?

The retaining wall is Campbell styrene retaining wall--essentially just clear plastic molded into the shape of a wall. It was cut roughly to shape, prepped with gray automotive primer and glued directly to the Styrofoam, then given multiple ink washes and a dry-brushing to add some texture.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
The workbench is scratchbuilt from scraps of 1/16" scribed wooden sheeting, stuck together with a little Goo and ACC.. The tools are commercial castings, I forget the manufacturer.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
spitfire said:
Nice going! When do you start the layout? (nudge, nudge)

Val

Actually I already have a small layout--it will now be re-started, as it was on hold for four months while I worked on this...this diorama was done for the local railroad musem. (Talk about your model railroader's dream project...someone else pays for the hobby supplies, I don't need to find space to store it, and thousands of people will see it without having to be exposed to the horrors of my messy garage!)

Of course, since I put all sorts of extra-special energy into detailing this diorama, I now see a bunch of places on the home layout that could use quite a bit of this sort of attention...