Photos of Flat Car Loads

Rusted

Oct 30, 2002
Mankato, MN
Visit site
I have several empty flat cars on my HO layout and need some ideas. I'll post a few pics of loads I've seen, you post some you've seen.

Thanks.

Attachments

• gauge7.jpg
    gauge7.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 321
From August 2001:

hw6-9.jpg

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
Good pictures. I can't help but think, that if a model manufacturer issued a flatcar with a load of turquoise pipes, a lot of modelers would think it ''toylike'' or ''unrealistic''....:eek: ...or say something like: "That is SO Tyco !"
You just never know, do you ?
Regards / Mike:D

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Re: Pipe

Here's the poop on pipe.

Pipe (commercial) that is to be "buried" typically is governed by local, state and federal laws. There is a neat industry that coats pipe depending on where, how and why it will be used. It's a subject I've written on and yet to be published- too bad- so many loads- so many roads, but I don't fret.

Other than your personal poop pipe (personal) home plumbing- The pipe you see is destined for "burial in a special application. The coatings avaialable range in color and texture according to application.

Hows that for not wanting to know too much but liking it all the same?

I could go on but I hear myself talk too much as it is (See below!). :D

Mark

Addendum: Our pipe coater's standards are black (polyethelene) for "standard" apps (anti-corrosion), Yellow for above ground apps and the Aqua for marine. They also provide a cement type coat (up to 3" thk) for oil rig, underwater apps- heavy duty abuse. Typically the I.D. is also epoxy coated, the color is a brownish red. The coating stops approx. 2" from the end to allow for end cap or couplings. The only rust would be the very end where tyhe pipe was saw cut. The undercoat that bonds the material picks up dust at the ends making it look often grey in color. That's the short version.

Rusted

Oct 30, 2002
Mankato, MN
Visit site
Thanks for the info, don't fret, that's what this is all about.

I bought some ugly aqua colored paint and some styrene tubes, no time yet to work on it, maybe soon.

Still looking for more. Feel free to include shots of your model flat car loads as well.

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
To take the pipe loads question a bit further, I suspect that since the pictures were taken in Sparks, Nevada yard, that the original source was from the Napa Pipe located in, Napa California.

The load was originally handled by the California Northern Railroad out of Napa Junction to Busch/Fairfield where they interchanged with UP.

Napa Pipe has numerous loads going out and the process is fascinating to watch. One or two GP15-1's straining to pull 15-20 or so loads of steel pipe is a site to see.