Photonovel Studio

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by julianmaurice, Jun 10, 2009.

1. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

2. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Smashing.. I like it. With the live action though people will think it's a movie your making? Unless...??? that's what you are going to do?

To answer your question no it's not specific to card models there are many types of mediums that can be used. Although card modeling isn't new it has grown quite a lot since the technology has advanced. Now it can be pretty hard to tell the difference between a card model and a model made from some other form. I'm of the opinion and there are many that would agree perhaps. That modelling encompasses all mediums to create a scale representation of the larger version. I use what ever works best...There are those that love the challenge of making models out of card.

Still working on the cargo door hehe. It's going to be cool though. I'm going to do a bit of an interior too as you will see that from the outside. I could even do the shuttle perhaps? I'm thinking though I'll leave that to you as you will want to place the shuttle as you see fit.

I found a tutorial on how to model glowing lights in blender. The new version has quite a few cool features I've not looked at yet as I've been working on the shuttle bay. So that should give me (well you) all the images you will need. Once I've got it together. We can pound out the shots like golf balls at a driving range :)

Check your PM's
  3. clif52

clif52 Banned

4. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Clif, that's so weird, I've seen your stuff before, I really like it!!!

I should have been a commercial artist but I was crap at school. I really envy you!
  5. clif52

clif52 Banned

Julian

Thanks man. I love commercial art. Its hard finding customers right now though. I've been working temp service for a company doing graphic design that I really don't like but you have to pay the bills. I'm trying to build up a new group of customers now. Thats why I started the display bases to start a new business that no one else does. I took commercial art at a local 2 year college and learned all the computer programs later. My favorites are Photoshop and Illustrator. I'll start a new thread for the HULK base as I get parts finished. I've got 3 possible logos for the "HULKBUSTERS".
  6. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Clif, I know what it's like finding clients at the moment! I've been using my hobby as a way of de-stressing myself, it seems to work very well. I can't wait for your thread.

I've been beavering away today, here are the highlights.

This is am image made up of 4 layers, a painting I downloaded, 2 figures and a backdrop from a game called "Critical Mass", I love this image as it has saved me a fortune in materials and I'd never have got such a wide shot if I'd have made a diorama. I LOVE PHOTOSHOP!!!
    [​IMG]

Oh, and I had a bit of fun with Windows Movie Maker. I've just pieced together elements that are included in my story and music that matches the mood.
    Movie here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQLahQwQZd8
  7. clif52

clif52 Banned

8. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Great image. You could probably add some more lighting by adding a brighting layer using some gaussian blurred oval blobs to the surface and brighting the layer below. Looks really cool now though.

Pretty cool Tute. Would be great for creating the sets. It's got a great 3D feel to it. I'm not sure if you couldn't do it in 3D 'physical model'. If you're doing more then one scene (different angles) then it would be worth doing a physical 3D wall.
  9. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

It's been a bit quiet here, but I've been working my pants off making more sets and taking loads of photos.

At this point I have to give a very special mention to Ronson2K3, who in his spare time has been putting together some CGI wizardry to include in the novel.
    he has also been very kind in sending me images and offering additional support and ideas.

Check out Ron's slideshow here: http://s416.photobucket.com/albums/pp244/Ronson2k3/Cleared For Departure/?albumview=slideshow

This evening he sent me a slideshow showing the hero's space ship the "Belana Thranta" also named by Ronson leaving space dock. Man am I speechless.
  10. clif52

clif52 Banned

Julian

The video trailer is great. I didn't get a chance to see it until today. I love the way you incorporated the set into the video. Great work. By the way did you get the Private Message link? That should be of great interest to you in using Photoshop. At work over the last couple of weeks I've been doing some research on Inkscape.org (free program works like Adobe Illustrator) and Gimp.org (free program that works like Photoshop) both are nice programs. Anyone wanting to work on photo novels or textures for paper models that can't afford the Adobe product should check them out. I really like Illustrator/Inkscape for creating signs and spot graphics in layers. Then I take it into Photoshop/Gimp to add other special effects. Again great work on the sets, video, and Photoshop Layers.
  11. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Here's just a little update.

This is an image of the set I created for the engine room in Act 1. I'll be re-using the walls for the hangar bay in Act 2. In fact a lot of the elements are re-used, so there is very little wastage and a lot of re-cycling.
    [​IMG]

Here is the set as seen in the novel:
    [​IMG]

Here is an image I'll be using for the introduction to Act 2
    I've used the CGI model of the Balana Thranta, an Action Transport that Ron2K3 put together for me and placed into an image of Coruscant that I've edited. Both elements have been adjusted so that they meld into one another and I've added a bit of lense flare just cos I think it's a cool effect.
    [​IMG]
  12. clif52

clif52 Banned

Looking good. I've hit a snag on trying to create scenes for my comicbook for now. I'll be back on the HULK shortly. I'm trying to help a friend with logo and product designs for a high school reunion. The more I've watched you work on your novel the more ideas I've had for the photo novel comic for my character. I'm thinking of using 7 inch action figures and the one I need for the main character is being hard to find right now. I've created 3 prototype "HULKBUSTERS" logos for my next action figure base. Its a new prototype that will use a few new methods I'm playing with to make it the largest display base I've ever attempted. In my research over the last couple of weeks I've found a lot of new wall, floor, ceiling, and door textures. PM me with an email if you are iterested and I'll send you a link to my online storage.
  13. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

I've spent the whole day sitting in fromt of my PC, gosh this is hard work....

This is another image I've doctored, another CGI image from Ron2K3 merged with other elements, I even added the engine flares, a great touch don't you think Ron?

Ron this is for you!
    [​IMG]
  14. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Yes.. Extremely nice.

I can do something similar in blender. Just didn't spend the time on the engines as I should have.

Looks awesome though. Great job.
  15. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Here are a couple of sets I've built forthe next chapter of the Novel...Again all sets are made from cardboard with printed A4 sticker decals applied.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Very nice work. I'm curious is the grill work on the floor in picture 2 embossed or printed on. Looks pretty fantastic.
  17. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Hey Ron, good to hear from you.

No the floor has a seperate piece. It's simply 2 pieces of Foamcore stuck together, then a sticker is placed around the edge, then I have applied a self adhesive vinyl to the top. The piece can be moved for photography purposes.

Here is another shot you mught like, its an old Kenner Imperial Transport circa 1979 that I bought damaged off of e-bay for a couple of pounds. I repainted it and photographed it. I then overlaid the image onto a backdrop that I found on the internet. I've adjusted both layers so that they match up and viola! God bless Photoshop...

The backdrop image is shot at an interesting angle, if I look into the image I can just imagine what it would feel like travelling in such an environment.
    [​IMG]
  18. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

This stuff just keeps getting better. Great work!
  19. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

It's a bit dark but the composition is great. You do awesome work..

Perhaps a bit more like this?
    [​IMG]

Almost looks like a movie poster to me.. Great work
  20. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Act 3 WIP

Hi folks,

I've been pressing on with Act 3, still a way to go yet, but I'm slowly getting there.

Here are some images showing you some of the sets and chase scenes.

Note to Ron2k3...Spaceship!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]