Photonovel Studio

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by julianmaurice, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

I had once thought of doing something similar. Converting my 3D models to card models to make an animatic. In todays world that can be done with slide show software. The idea was to create a moving storyboard in preparation to full on animation. Playing with the story and scenes to polish both up at the same time.

It's not just the creation of the sets but making sure they can be blocked for shooting too. Although a good quality web cam could get into tight spaces for photographs. It's not to many steps farther from this to a animation I'm thinking if you are headed in that direction? It almost reminds me of the 'Thunderbirds' to a small degree.

Very clean photos and concept looks good too. You know if it's for 'web' or non printed consumption you may want to consider doing a voice/sound track for the story instead of the typed text (or you could do both perhaps) so that viewers can tell how is doing the talking (as there lips won't move I'm thinking?)

I'll give you any help I can. I'll be keeping an eye on your progress. It's a cool concept. From the looks of it you have a pretty good handle on what your doing and as Montgomery Scott once said 'Let it take time laddie'
  2. clif52

clif52 Banned

Along the same lines as what Ronson said above, Adobe Acrobat Professional will let you record voice to add to your slides. You could add the voice, sound effects, and music to the photos that you have already created and then save the finished product as a PDF to view on the web or share as a download. With the professional Acrobat you also have programable security to allow people to download and read your photonovel but not allow changes or exporting of your photos. Need any help just let me know.

Heres a new game texture source.
    http://hfx.planetquake.gamespy.com/textures.html
  3. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Clif,

Both yours and Ronson's messages really have got my brain ticking. I had not thought about producing the PN in that way before, but your ideas make total sense.
    I think that your proposals may be a little too ambitious for me right now, although it would make the most of all the tools available today, plus it would be a totally new format. On-line photo stories with sound would be fantastic.

I had thought of producing something along the lies of a comic book:
    eg. [​IMG]

I will get all of my sets and photography completed and may come back to you with further questions re your "novel" ideas.

Jules
  4. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Let's face it...the world of hard printed books & stories is shrinking. The digital age is ushering in the new world of photography and video. Just a few years ago you would need a hundred grand or more to get the equipment to do what you show in your tutorial.
  5. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

I concur with your last comment Maico, It's a shame that there simply is not enough time in the day to do everything as the possibilities with what can can be achieved are endless.

My main reason for getting into making a Photonovel was because I loved making Dioramas and models but once I'd finished them they sat on a shelf, or had to be dismantled. This way I can continue to use what I have built and have a bit more fun with it all.

Here are a couple more images taken from the Hangar Bay I made for the Action VI transport ship...(made from card you'll be pleased to know).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. clif52

clif52 Banned

Julian

Looks great as usual. You have sparked my intrest once again. Now I'm thinking about dusting off my comic book idea. I'll have to start looking for suitable action figures for customizing and start drawing blueprints for my vehicles. Since my comic book idea is in modern times I can use my action figure bases and make both. An action figure base to sell and use the same graphics for my moveable sets for a Photo Novel. So many ideas and so little time.
  7. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Clif,

Oh yes, once you venture down the dark path there is no turning back...

If you need any help from me I'm here. I've been buyig lots of very cheap incomplete Gi Joe and Star Wars vehicles and playsets to furnish my novel. Here is an example of a rework of some old Star Wars bits and pieces I picked up very cheap.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once I've finished with them I re-sell them for profit on e-bay as customs, it helps towards to cost of everythng.
  8. clif52

clif52 Banned

Julian

Sounds good to me. I'll start hitting the flea markets on Saturday morning for action figures and scrap materials. Have you looked at the diorama supplies available at Hobby Lobby and the model train shops? I've been picking up some diorama books for stuff like water and snow and the rest will be computer graphics on foamcore. I'll have to start some sketches.
  9. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Clif, I have tried to be practical in my approach, I haven't attempted anything that I think is going to cost me too much, or be too hard to achieve. For example, instead of trying to create a diorama of a forest, I just carted all of my gear to the nearest forest and had a photoshoot. I took as many pictures as I could so I don't have to do it again for a while and can use the images as and when I need them. After all a natural environment under natural light will give the best results.

I've found is that using backdrops found on the net can improve an image no end. For example, here are two shots of the Endor Platform I made, the first is in the natural environment, in the second I've used a backdrop image. The fact that the image was taken in natural light makes the effect even more dramatic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. clif52

clif52 Banned

Julian

I forgot about those photos that you did in the forest. I was thinking about using scenic photos and adding them to the background in Photoshop for things that would be too time consuming for too expensive to create.
  11. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Yep, that's exactly what I've been doing.

I'm going to be working on a chase scene next so I'll post images within the next few days.

I am chuffed that you have decided to give it a go, it will be very exciting to see what you come up with! If it's your own material then I am eagerly awaiting seeing your first images and ideas. I am warning you, it is really hard work, but great fun at the same time.

With very best regards,

Julian
  12. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Yes definitely. I just watched a video on Chroma Key. Just like the big boys do it (ILM) well used to do it at one time. I'm thinking for a natural lighting setup this perhaps won't work as your subject has to be more lit then the 'Green Screen' backdrop. The use of a backdrop or Matte Painting is something that has been around since the age of film. Scaling is important when using your backdrop. That can of course be done by resizing the back ground image down to a size that is close to what would actually be there.

Very impressive work. If you wanted you could even go a few steps farther into 3D modeling? That is perhaps more then you want to do I'm thinking currently. I wouldn't model the entire scene in 3D just the bits that would be hardest to model the way you are currently doing.

An example would be the Landing pad for instance. You could model the pad in 3D. This could give you even more details then you have already

- Landing/docking markings (the empire wasn't to into flight procedures though)
    - Blast marks
    - Supplemental lighting. I remember there were towers that extended horizontally out from the pad that were used to help find the pad (remember it's a forest out there). You could also give texture to the pad itself (a plated surface perhaps).

This would be a model that would be composited into the model shot then the back ground 'Matte' would be added to that. I've done that before myself. A composite render (CG Image) into a photograph/sketch of another image. I added a street where there was no street and all it's details into a space that was just buildings before.

The landing pad would be a much easier job as there are no boundaries to adhere to unlike the buildings before. Digital Matte Paintings as they are now done are a great time saver when making a CG movie as that saves the Matte portion of the CG image from going through the render process (a very time consuming computer process) if your talking about 25 frames a second and maybe an hour or 2 per frame. It adds up. So a digital matte is rendered once and used as the back ground for all remaining shots in the scene. Saving 3/4 of the computer processing time to render the scene.

Check your PM's here I have a proposal for you.

Great work so far.. It's looking pretty spectacular.
  13. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Just a quick update, I hve all of the elements needed to get started shooting and editing. Here is the latest image from scene 1.
    [​IMG]
  14. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

15. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Here is the first page of the novel, this will give you an idea of the final format.

I've been using Microsoft Power Point as it's great for working with talk bubbles. Once I am happy with the text I press "Ctrl" & Prt Sc SysRq" and I get a screen grab, I then paste the image directly into Photoshop where I can save it as a JPEG.

I still haven't had the text proof read yet, so changes are likely.

[​IMG]
  16. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Love the story line...There was a real void there & I liked that guy. The slaughter of the younglings... what about a secret training school of younglings turning up? I really liked their grit and precocious style.
  17. clif52

clif52 Banned

I like it! Excellent work. I also like the typefont that you have chosen. Its not your standard comicbook type font.
    Checkout http://www.blambot.com/fonts.shtml
    They create fonts for comic books and have a lot as free downloads. The Pro Fonts are the one that you have to buy.

I started looking for action figures to customize for my comic book/photo novel last Saturday. I haven't had any luck so far but I am looking. I started a new action figure base for my new 13" Raging HULK I found at the toy show for $2.00. I'll post photos when I get finished. I'm building my textures and signs now. I've decided on a military base with sliding scifi doors. HULK "SMASHED" of course. The doors will be bent in with HULK standing on the inside of the base. Since I've never seen a "Hulkbusters" logo (General Thunderbolt Ross's Hulk attack squad), I'm now designing one. It will be on the wall beside the smashed door and look kind of like a military circular patch with Hulkbusters in a curve at the top and Gamma Base in a curve at the bottom. I've drawn a circle slash symbol like the Ghostbusters to go in the center and I'm working on HULK bursting through the center. I love building toys. I just hate to sell them when I'm finished.
  18. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Clif, I have no idea what you are talking about re the Hulk stuff but you've got me very curious.

I'd love to see what you are up to so why not post a W.I.P. I'm not sure if this is the forum for this kind of hobby, come to think of it, there aren't any forums dedicated to Photonovels using figures and home made dioramas. Anyhow, please, please show me how you progress as I'm feeling kind of lonely making this stuff on my own....
  19. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Very cool. Great images.

Sorry I haven't been about last couple of days. The yard sale kinda took more out of me then expected. I was moving stuff in and out. Then I had to get caught up on my chores around the house. But now I'm back mahahaha. Should be able to get door done tonight unless the current electrical storm warning interferes.

I sketched it all out while at the sale and just have to modify the current door so it should be pretty cut and dry (more or less).
  20. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

I was just wondering, is this a forum for scifi "Card" models only? It isn't really clear...