Photonovel Studio

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by julianmaurice, Jun 10, 2009.

1. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

[​IMG]

Hi, guys,

I'd like to show what I've been putting together for my attempt at a Photonovel.

As you proably know, putting together a Photonovel requires not only creating models and dioramas, but also customising figures, photography, editing and of course story telling (sharp intake of breath!). I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who attempts one.

For a while now I've been aspiring to get into the genre, but with a business to run and 2 kids to look after, time is at a premium. So, rather than try to make sets out of solid materials (which is time consuming), I've decided to try to put together a system of sets using mountboard, a method I used to create my large Death Star Hangar.
    By creating sets in this way, walls, floors and other details can be shifted into varying positions in order to create the illusion of different locations, also the walls and floors can have decals on both sides, again making location changes quick and simple.

After scouring the net for a couple of hours I then had enough images to create both of the sets I'll need for the first act of the novel, which takes place on Coruscent, on the lower levels and on the Azameen Family Base.
    The other good thing about this process is that the kids can play with this stuff, they can create their own scenes using their own imagination.

Anyway, without further ado, here are my test shots of my first night work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here is the film studio....
    [​IMG]
  2. clif52

clif52 Banned

Really good looking. I liked your previous post with the playset. If you find any good sites for down loading textures please post a link. I'm always looking for good textures for my action figure bases.
  3. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Y'know, I have some great ideas for a stories but I don't have the patience for writing. But this would be a great way to get them written down using my favorite hobby. I wish you the best of luck with your novel, Julian. :thumb:
  4. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Clifter! here is my favourite! http://www.art.eonworks.com/gallery/texture/Door_09-200009.html

Have fun,

Jules
  5. clif52

clif52 Banned

Thanks for the link Jules. I had one or two of these on file but couldn't remember where I got them. Your Photonovel is looking great. I had a link for a site that would let you download game textures for free. I'll look for the link when I get home from work.
  6. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Clif, that would be superb, I lookforward to it.
  7. clif52

clif52 Banned

8. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Clif, that's very kind of you to look for this stuff, it is most ppreciated.

I'll post my photonovel here when it's done.

ALl the best,

Julian
  9. clif52

clif52 Banned

No problem. I look forward to seeing what you come up with on the photonovel and with the playsets for the kids. If I find anything else in the scifi textures I'll post them.

And 30min later I found this one. 5 free texture packs for download.

http://www.delgine.com/texturepacks/viewTexturepackCategory.php?catid=33&catdesc=Fantasy/Medieval

A lot of building textures, but you never know how you might use them.

Heres a list of texture download sites that might be of use.
    http://freetexturesite.blogspot.com/
  10. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

[​IMG]
    Ok guys here is where the fun begins...
    I've been beavering away and I am finally ready with a proper Photonovel Story. I've built my fist couple of sets and have taken my first images.
    Without giving too much away, the story begins at the end of Episode 3 and will later jump forward to around 2 years prior to Ep 4.
    I'll post images here as I progress, but I'll try to keep the best till the work is complete. Finally I must take my hat off to anyone who gets involved in making a Photonovel, the workload is immense.
    Here are my fist few images...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

How are you able to do this? As a writer with several decent stories I'd love to see illustrated...I'm amazed at this new medium. Is this sort of thing being produced commercially?
  12. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Dear Maico,

Thank you for your interest in my hobby, I am surprised that you've not seen anything like this before, it's usually found on fan sites like Rebel Scum and Yakface, here are a couple of links to my favourite artists in the genre:

Vaders Quest by JLW515 - Yakface Forums
    http://www.yakfaceforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=4465

Rykrof Enloe Adventures by Yak Chewie - Yakface Forums
    http://www.yakfaceforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=3826

Yak's Pub By Niktom - Rebel Scum Forums
    http://threads.rebelscum.com/showfl...ge=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1#3768696

Putting together a photonovel is possibly the most creative thing I've ever undertaken. It involves photography, set design, diorama making, figure customising, photographic editing and most importantly creative writing. It involves a huge amount of commitment but is very rewarding and brings my work to life.

If you are looking at getting into the genre, then if I can offer any assistance just let me know.

Best regards,

Jules
  13. Kjev

Kjev Member

Wow. Talk about several hobbies combined into one! It's like a Comic Book taken to the next level.

As a card modeler, sci-fi writer, scratch model maker, graphic artist, and professional wargames terrain maker, I can see the vast amount and huge variety of work and talent that this must take.

And IT LOOKS GOOD!!!

Very nice work. (A massive understatement)
  14. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Thank you so much guys for your comments, especially coming from such accomplished modelers, it has made my day!

Just to update you. Today I needed to use photoshop, I needed to build a cockpit interior and I've been putting it off as I really didn't know how to approach it. In the end I decided to cheat and try my hand at special effects, after all George Lucas uses blue screen all of the time, so why can't I.

As this is a forum about card models I'm going a bit off (in fact way off) topic, but as it will be part of a larger piece of work that incorporates card models I suppose you'll have to bear with me.

I used the old screen capture method to grab images from Star Wars and Blade Runner, then looked at the camera angles. I then took photos of my figures at similar angles then merged the images together. I also added some further digital effects in order to further enhance things.

This is what I have achieved.
    Screen capture image:
    [​IMG]

My edited Image:
    [​IMG]

Image downloaded from Google:
    [​IMG]

My edited image:
    [​IMG]

I've also been trying to get my laser's to look more realistic and someone posted me a link to this tutorial which came in very useful.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coCgaXZQ0hA&feature=related

So all in all a productive day and informative day, I learned some new stuff and also managed to avoid having to make a cockpit set saving me about a week in production time.

I hope I'm not boring anyone?
  15. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

This forum is about much more than card modeling...What you are into is a new artform that is cutting edge. A lot will depend, of course, on the strength of your story...but the illustration you are creating gives great depth to the viewer.
  16. clif52

clif52 Banned

17. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

What's the timeline on a project like this? Once you've built the sets & dioramas & acquired the figures I suppose the sequel will go a lot faster....Or do you tear it all down after you've got your shot?
  18. clif52

clif52 Banned

Julian

Heres another link that I had misplaced. You have to join to download but it is free. I found some paper model tanks and droids that you might want. I remember downloading some Star Wars textures for backgrounds a while back so you might hunt through the files and find them.

http://www.swminiatures.com/tags/downloads/page/5/
  19. julianmaurice

julianmaurice Member

Thanks again guys for your continued support on this project, and thanks Clif for the links they will come in very useful.

In terms of timescale, the workload is huge, not only does it devote time to make the sets etc, but I am consantly thinking about the story and how the images will cope with talk bubbles etc.

This is a very sharp learning curve and as I've never attempted anything like this before I have no idea if I'm doing it right...I'm sure it will get easier.

In terms of the story I do intend to get some help as it can make or break all of the other hard work. I will put everything together and have it all proof read and hopefully tweaked by my secret weapon....
  20. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

We're all here to help each other and gain as much or more than we can give. I see the rise of the "glossy" comics from the vast heap of "tabloid paper" that now dominates.