Photo Help!!!!

jmarksbery

Since the 70000 change I have been having all kinds of trouble uploading my pictures to The Gauge. I change the settings and it still says it is too large. Is anyone else having this problem? I use the new Paint Shop Pro 8.0 version (just update this weekend from 7.0) I even downloaded the freebie thingy recommended and no difference. After reducing to upload small enough the picture looks terrible. I have been 2 days trying to figure this one out. Is me or is it here? (it is not Memorex) :p I am not new at this but boy I sure feel like I am. DUH. If anyone has a fix I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks, Jim :eek: :rolleyes:

Tyson Rayles

Jim I've had the problem with panoramic shots mainly. While I'm are well under the allowance for length I'm are over the limit in height and even though the total space is less than 640X480 it doesn't want to take it. If I reduce further you can no longer see the detail. I guess those types of shots are a thing of the past here. :eek: :(

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I have found that when I scan a photo then I change the size of the photo while still in preview. Then it scans OK. On my new digital camera, I take photos at the lowest quality then the photos are OK to upload. Now if I take a photo in portrait mode, then the height is too much. I have software called Corel Xara which resizes the phots nicely for me but then the photo is quite a bit smaller. Now I always take lanscape mode and just say forget it for portrait mode for uploading purposes.

jmarksbery

?

I have no problem with the scanner or the camera, I have always used with the digital 1024 X, then after working to brightning ect. save it as 640 X 480. I keep my setting on printer, camera and computer at 100000 for when I do scale drawings they are a scale size for the computer and for printing, then just use the plans as a template at exact size. I have no problem reducing to 72000 and keeping a good picture, but since we are limited to 70000 the pictures are terrible. My software shows it is below the limit but when I upload it says the file is too large, therefore refuseing to accept it. I am just for a loss as to the problem. If things were limited to 72000 It would be OK. I just wondered if anyone else has a similar problem below 72000 whether portrait or landscape, which I use landscape mostly. :(

P.S.
I guess what I am trying to say is I wouldn't mind paying the Gauge a yearly dues to get more bandwidth and keep those pics as beautiful as you can make them in 72000 pixels and keep the show on the road, er--tracks.

Gary Pfeil

Just a thought, from computer illiterate me. If the problem that caused the reduction in size was too much bandwidth being used due to the increase in # of photos being posted, perhaps eliminating photos after 6 months would enable us to keep the previous size limit. Any photos you wanted to be able to keep you could just save to your own hard drive. Would that be a solution?

Gary

davidstrains

While I would favor a longer retention period it seems that what ever makes sense for the administrators and owners to keep this great place running is the top consideration. I too would not mind annual dues to get back the better pix.

Tyson Rayles

Agreed! While I'm on disability I know I could still scrape up $10-$20 a year if it would help to solve this problem.

Just a thought, from computer illiterate me. If the problem that caused the reduction in size was too much bandwidth being used due to the increase in # of photos being posted, perhaps eliminating photos after 6 months would enable us to keep the previous size limit. Any photos you wanted to be able to keep you could just save to your own hard drive. Would that be a solution?

Gary

Hi Gary, removing photos wouldn't solve the problem as 95% of the bandwidth a thread uses is in the first week of posting. If there was a problem with server space removing photos would be helpful.

Thanks everyone for the offer of donations but the problem still remains. A subscription doesn't give us any control over bandwidth usage.

There may be some room for manoeuvre at the end of the month when we review what impact the new restrictions have had on bandwidth usage.

Regards
Dave Hagan

Peirce

There is another way to do this which I have found handy. In a sense it is, "let someone else do it." Here is what I mean. (Note: I am not promoting any particular product or service, just relating what works for me.)

As you can see, in my signature, I use an image posting service by the name of Fotki. All the pictures I shoot with my digital camera are taken at the "Fine" setting, which is high resolution. I do my scans in a similar way. The version I upload to Fotki is the high resolution one. They store that version and also create and store a compressed version. It is the compressed version that is displayed when you go into one of my albums and click on a thumbnail. It is that same version displayed here when I add a link to a photo in one of my posts.

(Another note: Fotki is not a free service, but it is not expensive. Currently, I pay $30.00 per year.)

Feel free to click on the link in my signature if you want to take a closer look at what I described.