Photo Fun: week of April 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesWestern

April 6th 2:37pm PST, the telegraph operator wired Washington a simple message: " -.. --- -. . "

Goldenspike002.jpg

Ceremonies to be held Sunday!

Get the full story here: http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=25440&page=5&highlight=san+jacinto

YmeBP

My kids have finally been able to add their touches to the vast pink wasteland of pinkertown. The store on the left w/ brown roof and green porch awening is my 8 year old son's first building w/ glue :). He did a great job!!
IMG_0489.JPG

Annie, Clarabelle and Thomas go round outside a tyco F7a that i've added about 9lbs of weight to so it will pull more than 1 car :). My sons and their cousin love those signs hehe.
IMG_0490.JPG

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
It's little more than an idea at this point but what do you think of my crashed and half buried ore car? I took my dremel cut off blade, hacked the car in half at a 45 degree angle and placed it there. If I decide to leave it there, I need to make it look all old and scummy and fill it with sludge and runoff stuff from the creek.

Attachments

• DCP_5344 low res.jpg
    DCP_5344 low res.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 305
  • DCP_5348 low res.jpg
    DCP_5348 low res.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 306

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
MilesWestern said:
April 6th 2:37pm PST, the telegraph operator wired Washington a simple message: " -.. --- -. . "

I intercepted that message and wired back,
"-.-. --- -. --. .-. .- - ..."

cnw1961

"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" ... Miles, congrats for your first mainline run :wave: :wave: .

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I like that Idea Trainnut, just make her all nasty looking and like you said, fill er with some sludge. Cool Idea

Cool Pics Guys

You can count me in for this week, Going to my grandparents house this week and can finally use a camera. Lots of weathering will be done this week. Finally gonna break out the chalks.

List of stuff that will be hopefully weathered this week:
  1. N-Scale Blast Furnace
  2. 3 remaining CNW Dash 9's
  3. SP AC4400
  4. BN GP60
  5. BNSF Dash 8-40B
  6. BNSF SD70MAC
  7. Some rolling stock
Gonna have a busy week with lots of pics to come!!! Finally sign1

cnw1961

YmeBP, your son shows very promising skills :thumb: .
trainnut, the wrecked car is a great idea. Do you have a bigger pic?
Chessie, nice picture. I like that loco :thumb: .

Here are three pictures which show my new building on my layout. Now there is still a lot of detailing to be done.

pf1.jpg

pf2.jpg

pf3.jpg

Gary S.

Wow Kurt!:thumb:

Your modeling is superb, great photos! The roads look great and the weathering on the structures is beautiful. Could you tell me what you made the roads from and how you got them looking like that?

cnw1961

Gary, thank you. In post 20 of this old thread I explained how I build the roads: http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=20406. To weather the roads, as a first step after the paint has dried, I carefully sand parts of the roads in direction of the lanes. This will add some light shades to the color. To add the black stripes in the middle of the lanes, I use a hard paintbrush (.800"). I use black artist acrylic paint right from he tube without diluting it. I apply a little paint to the paintbrush and wipe off most of the paint on a sheet of paper. If you have to apply some pressure to the brush to leave marks on the paper then it is right for painting the roads. I use so little paint that I have to rub the paintbrush along the lanes with pressure and only when no paint is left on the brush, I apply some more paint.

This picture shows, what my roads look like before I paint them.

View attachment 36409

Attachments

• Img_2191.jpg
    Img_2191.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 257

steamhead

Great shots everyone..!!

Miles - Great to have a place to finally run some trains, ain't it...Congrats..!!
YmeBP - That boy sure does show promise..!
Trainut - I'd leave the ore car whole, just "crush" it with a hair dryer and dump the load it was carrying all over the ground. Maybe one of the trucks all mangled up laying somewhere near by..
Chessie - That train is gonna tackle a steep grade..?? Nice looking engine..
Josh - You've got your work cut out for the week..Good luck..!!
Kurt - Stop it..!! You're gonna drive me mad (and others, I'm sure..) with those scenes... Just plain OVERWHELMING..!!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
That's great Miles! Makes me wish I'd taken Morse instead of semaphore flag signaling back when I was a Boy Scout! :) Nice photos everyone! Trainut, the car in the gorge scene is a great idea! Chessie, that pic looks like a scene right out of my Sandpatch addition to Microsoft Train Simulator! YmeBP, its cool to see things taking shape!
Kurt, beautiful work!

Despite focusing more on my freelanced road lately I still run my PC locos. Here a Geep sits on a siding in front of the town of West Mill.

Ralph

Attachments

• 3-6-2007-17.jpg
    3-6-2007-17.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 244

cn nutbar

hello all---off to another great start everyone---kurt,your scenery and photography are outstanding---here's my picture for the week---hope to see lots more before the week is through

11062006009_794652.jpg

Nazgul

great shots everybody!!!!
Kurt...that building has turned out awesome!:thumb: It looks perfect there:thumb:
Btw, thank you for the mention in the hilarious "Plasticville Times":D :D :D

I have completely run out of semi-finished (I have no completely finished) areas...so I have pretty much photographed it to death:eek:ops:. If you can handle it, I will leave you with three final pics from my layout (until I have something new to photograph):
photos132gallery.jpg
[/IMG]

photos127gallery.jpg
[/IMG]

photos289gallery.jpg
[/IMG]

chessie4155

WOW. Each week it keeps getting better and better!!
Miles: It's Done! Time to run some trains
Trainut: Ore car looks great at the bottom .
Kurt: You da man! You have a great eye for detail, sir.
Ralph: Cool shot of a Red P Geep.
Nutbar: Cool shot of that steamer
Nazgul: Fantastic pics! Love the trestle:thumb:

Whew! That's a lot of typing for ol Dad here.. Sorry If I missed anyone.

Here's a WB Local heading for the hole :D I can hear the radio chatter now...
"Come on, Come on, peddle a little faster, your holding up a hot job!tooth1
HPIM9399.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Miles
Cool!

YmeBP
Looking good!

Train Nut
Neat looking scene!

Chessie4155
Cool scene and great looking loco and caboose!

Kurt
Great scenes and street trackage!

Ralph
Nice scene!

CN Nutbar
Awesome loco!

Steve
Sweet shots!

Chessie4155
Nice happenings in the yard!

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I am still catching up on things with the new computer so here a few more oldies for now.

Here is an IHC 2-6-0 Motherhubbard that I converted from this:
lne_camela_001.jpg

lne_camela_003.jpg

To this:

lne_camelf_004.jpg

lne_camelf_007.jpg

UP SD40-2

Great Pics Folks!!!

ARGH!!!...i HATE it when i get in on this so late. GREAT WORK & PICS FOLKS!!!:thumb::thumb::D

Well, as you have probably guessed, i have been REAL BUSY:D. i had off work Friday(YEA!), and went to dads. We worked on his layout some, and we ran trains for a while:thumb:.

other then that i have been steady working on my switching layout:thumb:. i came close to the plan Kurt drew up for me(THANKS KURT!:D), but after laying the track, i couldn't get it exactly like the pic, just wouldn't work out 100%. with just a couple changes made, i think it will work out QUITE WELL though:thumb:. i had all the track down except the two tracks that run along the back, and decided to test run some engines to be sure everything runs OK. i ran my GP20 and a 50'box, NO PROBLEMS!:thumb: next i tried a 6 axle engine, some of the track is a little tight in the middle of the layout, so i was a little concerned, but the SD38-2 & 50'BOX went FLAWLESSLY through it ALL!!:thumb::D. I just have the farthest back track tacked down until i get my two background buildings i ordered from Walther's tonight in, once i get them i will know exactly how far back to put the track;). tomorrow i will get my son to help me turn the layout around so its facing the right way. the SECOND pic i have below might explain things better;).

Pictures:
1- the layout as it looks NOW:D
2- THIS pic might explain things better. Also,if you follow the cars in pic #1 or this pic, it will show where the road will be;).
3- test run with my SD38-2...SUCCESS!!!:thumb::D
4- dads NEWEST engine, CNW GP30 right out of the box, pictured on his layout:D.

SPECIAL THANKS TO: Kurt(cnw1961) for the track plan:thumb:, and Steve(Nazgul) for his invaluable input:thumb:. THANKS!:D

GREAT PICS FOLKS!:thumb: KEEP 'EM COMING!:D -DEANO View attachment 36420 View attachment 36421 View attachment 36422 View attachment 36423

Attachments

• new layout.JPG
    new layout.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 168
  • explain.JPG
    explain.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 173
  • runin.JPG
    runin.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 161
  • CNW GP30.JPG
    CNW GP30.JPG